2 Sim Lim shops to pay Microsoft $70k

,----[ Quote ]
| TWO computer retailers in Sim Lim Square accused of peddling counterfeit
| Microsoft programs have agreed to pay $70,000 in damages, the software giant
| said yesterday.
|
| The shops' directors will also do 144 hours of community service, which
| includes providing IT services to charities, as part of an out-of-court
| settlement.
`----

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/N...023-95718.html

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
when there's not."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --Bill Gates

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people
don't pay for the software, [...] Someday they will, though. As long as they
are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of
addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the
next decade."

--Bill Gates

Microsoft blacks out pirated desktops; Chinese bloggers fume

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4135

Chinese surfers see red over Microsoft black-outs

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...49L11C20081023

Chinese Hackers Angered By Microsoft's Epic Fail

Chinese blast Microsoft over 'black screen' piracy notice

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...e-blast-M.html

Microsoft faces boycott in China over 'virus' which shames pirated software
users

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...are-users.html

Microsoft goes black, making Chinese see red

http://news.theage.com.au/technology...1026-58vf.html

Microsoft anti-piracy tactic turns computer screens black

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...icrosoft_N.htm

Microsoft Tactic Raises Hackles in China

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1224...googlenews_wsj

Microsoft sued over anti-piracy activity

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...ed-anti-piracy

Mafia mode.

Just as Microsoft starts attacking poor people whom it got "addicted"
(because "easier for our software to compete with Linux" this way), it is
likely to attack companies using software patents.

As Groklaw argues, Microsoft is the next SCO group.

Trusting Microsoft is... like trusting a thug.

Recent:

Microsoft accused of hacking in piracy clampdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Across China thousands of computer screens are turning dark. The reason is a
| piece of software from a US firm.
|
| Software giant Microsoft is deactivating unauthorised copies of its Windows
| operating system, in a nation where 82% of all software is pirated – even if
| many end users do not know it.
`----

http://technology.newscientist.com/c...clampdown.html

Chinese fume at Microsoft anti-piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| China's vocal bloggers seemed stunned that their computers seemed to have
| phoned Microsoft for the anti-piracy tool without asking.
|
| "The computer is mine", one angry blogger penned, "Microsoft has no right to
| control my hardware without my agreement", the poor fool thought.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...microsoft-anti

Microsoft sued in China for black screen of death

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...microsoft_wga/