Microsoft forecast shows Office, Vista heading in opposite directions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Client revenue, which virtually all comes from sales of
| Windows Vista, grew just 2% year over year to $4.22 billion in its first
| quarter of 2009.
|
| "That fell pretty far short of Microsoft's expectations," said Matt Rosoff,
| an analyst at independent research firm Directions on Microsoft. "That's
| always a worry, since it's the core of the company's business."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

Recent:

Microsoft Partners: Use Of Downgrade Rights Is Surging

,----[ Quote ]
| Downgrade rights, which are only available through volume licensing, have
| existed for more than a decade with Office, and since 2001 for Windows. But
| system builders and other Microsoft partners say they're witnessing a large
| and growing number of customers exercising downgrade rights to roll back
| Windows Vista to XP Professional, and Office 2007 to Office 2003.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/204600906

Related:

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

Why Microsoft's ribbon sucks

,----[ Quote ]
| Bottom line, I have a lot of respect for Microsoft and many of the
| outstanding people that work there (e.g. Bill Buxton).
|
| But the new ribbon sucks.
|
| I've been using it daily for months (Word, Powerpoint, Excel), and I
| consistently stumble on the same functions over and over again. I doubt I
| will ever master it. And I'm an interface designer!
`----

http://www.dexodesign.com/2007/08/wh...bon-sucks.html

July 1: No more Office 2003 for OEMs

,----[ Quote ]