[News] [Rival] Windows Revenue Declines, GNU/Linux Gains - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Revenue Declines, GNU/Linux Gains

    Netbooks Slam Shut On Vista Sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Revenue from Microsoft's key Windows franchise grew just 2% in the most
    | recent quarter as more PC buyers opted for smaller, more nimble,
    | netbook-style devices that don't need a fat OS like Vista. Does Redmond have
    | an answer for this trend?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Redmond's problem: An increasing number of computer buyers, mostly in
    | high-growth, price-sensitive emerging markets, are realizing that they can
    | get by with so-called netbooks for most of their online requirements. It's a
    | fact that's leaving Windows Vista out in the cold in some of the world's
    | fastest growing tech markets.
    |
    | Netbooks, from offshore manufacturers such as Taiwan's Asus, typically lack
    | the horsepower to run the big and bulky Vista. But they're fully capable of
    | performing routine computing tasks such as e-mailing, Web surfing, and
    | instant messaging. Many models feature the free Linux OS.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ks_slam_s.html

    Microsoft: NetBooks Affecting Windows Revenue

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Matt Rosoff, an analyst with Kirkland, Wash.-based research firm Directions
    | On Microsoft, said one area of concern for Microsoft is the falling
    | percentage of premium priced versions of Windows versus non-premium versions,
    | which could be the result of more people buying NetBooks.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/211600321

    Recent:

    Path:Real-Life Linux: The ASUS Eee PC 1000

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The no-maintenance part was also important. Unlike any Windows machine, which
    | requires monthly -- or even more frequent security updates -- to even pretend
    | to be safe, not to mention added-cost and trouble anti-virus and anti-malware
    | software, Linux has security baked-in.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/15282...ml?tk=rss_news

    The netbook newbie's guide to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thanks to their design as appliances, you can get down to useful work
    | straight away with any of the new breed of Linux-based netbooks. But sooner
    | or later, a fair few folk come up against the unfamiliarity of Linux. And,
    | like the legendary tribe of pygmies, you may find yourself jumping up and
    | down in the head-high long grass shouting out the incantation that gave the
    | tribe its name: "We're the Fukarwi."
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10...linux_guide_1/

    Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

    | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
    | manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
    | some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
    `----

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...-linux-ulpcs/1

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    Acer bets big on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
    | netbooks.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

    Microsoft sees slide in profits

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Revenue Declines, GNU/Linux Gains

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:56:17 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Netbooks Slam Shut On Vista Sales

    And the Wintrolls would have us believe that nothings the matter with
    Microsoft profits, when in fact the reality, is quite different.

    The main thing here, is to never believe a Wintroll, no matter how
    reasonable and sincere they may sound.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Revenue Declines, GNU/Linux Gains

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:56:17 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Netbooks Slam Shut On Vista Sales

    > And the Wintrolls would have us believe that nothings the matter with
    > Microsoft profits, when in fact the reality, is quite different.
    >
    > The main thing here, is to never believe a Wintroll, no matter how
    > reasonable and sincere they may sound.

    Has this *clown* not pulled his head out of his ass and looked around at
    the world's current economic crisis?

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Revenue Declines, GNU/Linux Gains

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:06:14 -0400, Linux Pimps wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:56:17 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Netbooks Slam Shut On Vista Sales

    >> And the Wintrolls would have us believe that nothings the matter with
    >> Microsoft profits, when in fact the reality, is quite different.
    >>
    >> The main thing here, is to never believe a Wintroll, no matter how
    >> reasonable and sincere they may sound.
    >>

    > Has this *clown* not pulled his head out of his ass and looked around at
    > the world's current economic crisis?

    Of course not.
    Terry Porter isn't capable of taking stock of what is in his own wallet.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread