Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook - Linux ; On 2008-10-26, Terry Porter wrote: > As everyone knows, Linux made the Netbook market possible, resulting in > lightweight, fast and very inexpensive mobile computers. > > As everyone also knows, Linux is all about CHOICE! > > However given ...

  1. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    On 2008-10-26, Terry Porter wrote:
    > As everyone knows, Linux made the Netbook market possible, resulting in
    > lightweight, fast and very inexpensive mobile computers.
    >
    > As everyone also knows, Linux is all about CHOICE!
    >
    > However given the under $500 Netbook target market, the window manager is
    > usually highly modified by the manufacturer to be as simple as possible,
    > it's "click and grunt" all the way.
    >
    > I don't prefer the Andros distro that comes with EeePCs so I changed it
    > to Debian Lenny on my EeePC900, which makes the device far more useful
    > for me.

    I thought that the Xandros OS on my eeepc701 was rubbish. No firewall,
    and terribly promiscuous, no system security.... I'd be ashamed to call
    it Linux.

    I installed Gentoo on mine. Actually, I've still got the original
    Xandros on the SSD and I'm still refining my Gentoo install on a 4GB
    keydrive. When I'm completely happy with it I'll dump Xandros and move
    the Gentoo installation onto the SSD. I use a 2GB SD card as my /home
    hierarchy. All run on ext2 (no journal writes to reduce wear on the
    drives) filesystems.

    > Lets look at the Linux method for installing Debian Lenny as a fresh
    > install, and I'll leave the XP method for a local Wintroll to detail,
    > after all they're the "Windows experts" around here aren't they ?
    >
    > *Installing Linux Debian Lenny on a EeePC900 using a network connection.*
    >
    > 1) Grab the Debian Lenny image: http://eeepc.debian.net/images/debian-
    > eeepc_20081017.img (about 16MB)
    >
    > 2) Copy it onto your USB stick or SD card in the normal way with dd
    > (making sure any existing filesystems on the device are unmounted with
    > 'umount' first -- check this with 'df').

    Yep. Gentoo requires you to copy all the files from the minimal install
    CD over to your keydrive after repartitioning and installing a new ext2
    filesystem and then copy over your grub setup, and configure grub to
    boot. You also need a copy of the atl2.ko wired network driver on the
    install "CD". Plug the bugger in and then do the Gentoo install (using
    wired network connection).

    Not for novices, but it's what I enjoy. The eeepc is extremely small and
    is great to use in pubs and cafes with open WIFI hotspots (there are a
    few good ones in Newcastle!

    I don't have portage on the eeepc. Package management is handled through
    one central computer on the LAN. Just mount the /usr/portage (ro) and
    the /usr/portage/distfiles (rw) via NFS. I also NFS mount
    /var/tmp/portage so as to reduce writes to the keydrive and SSD.
    Everything is working well. Everything works, including the cute webcam,
    3D graphics (i810 driver included in the kernel) and wifi works better
    than on my Thinkpad R51e (Both use Atheros 5xxx chipsets).

    It's been a lot of fun to set up, but not something for novices to
    attempt. Ubuntu is for the novices, Gentoo is for the tweekers.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    On 2008-10-26, Gregory Shearman claimed:
    > On 2008-10-26, Terry Porter wrote:
    >> As everyone knows, Linux made the Netbook market possible, resulting in
    >> lightweight, fast and very inexpensive mobile computers.
    >>
    >> As everyone also knows, Linux is all about CHOICE!
    >>
    >> However given the under $500 Netbook target market, the window manager is
    >> usually highly modified by the manufacturer to be as simple as possible,
    >> it's "click and grunt" all the way.
    >>
    >> I don't prefer the Andros distro that comes with EeePCs so I changed it
    >> to Debian Lenny on my EeePC900, which makes the device far more useful
    >> for me.

    > I thought that the Xandros OS on my eeepc701 was rubbish. No firewall,
    > and terribly promiscuous, no system security.... I'd be ashamed to call
    > it Linux.
    >
    > I installed Gentoo on mine. Actually, I've still got the original
    > Xandros on the SSD and I'm still refining my Gentoo install on a 4GB
    > keydrive. When I'm completely happy with it I'll dump Xandros and move
    > the Gentoo installation onto the SSD. I use a 2GB SD card as my /home
    > hierarchy. All run on ext2 (no journal writes to reduce wear on the
    > drives) filesystems.
    >
    >> Lets look at the Linux method for installing Debian Lenny as a fresh
    >> install, and I'll leave the XP method for a local Wintroll to detail,
    >> after all they're the "Windows experts" around here aren't they ?
    >>
    >> *Installing Linux Debian Lenny on a EeePC900 using a network connection.*
    >>
    >> 1) Grab the Debian Lenny image: http://eeepc.debian.net/images/debian-
    >> eeepc_20081017.img (about 16MB)
    >>
    >> 2) Copy it onto your USB stick or SD card in the normal way with dd
    >> (making sure any existing filesystems on the device are unmounted with
    >> 'umount' first -- check this with 'df').

    > Yep. Gentoo requires you to copy all the files from the minimal install
    > CD over to your keydrive after repartitioning and installing a new ext2
    > filesystem and then copy over your grub setup, and configure grub to
    > boot. You also need a copy of the atl2.ko wired network driver on the
    > install "CD". Plug the bugger in and then do the Gentoo install (using
    > wired network connection).
    >
    > Not for novices, but it's what I enjoy. The eeepc is extremely small and
    > is great to use in pubs and cafes with open WIFI hotspots (there are a
    > few good ones in Newcastle!
    >
    > I don't have portage on the eeepc. Package management is handled through
    > one central computer on the LAN. Just mount the /usr/portage (ro) and
    > the /usr/portage/distfiles (rw) via NFS. I also NFS mount
    > /var/tmp/portage so as to reduce writes to the keydrive and SSD.
    > Everything is working well. Everything works, including the cute webcam,
    > 3D graphics (i810 driver included in the kernel) and wifi works better
    > than on my Thinkpad R51e (Both use Atheros 5xxx chipsets).
    >
    > It's been a lot of fun to set up, but not something for novices to
    > attempt. Ubuntu is for the novices, Gentoo is for the tweekers.

    Great!

    Now that we have those two great methods of installing alternative
    linuces on the Eee, I can't wait for the instructions from the expert
    Windolts to explain putting XP on one of the models that comes with
    linux installed.

    At the same time, whichever Wintroll can spell things out can become an
    international hero! I'm sure one of the long-time Windows gurus, like
    Erik or DuFuS, can go solve the problems Terry said the Winbots are
    detailing all over the internet wrt putting XP on the Eee.

    --
    My other computer is your Windows box.

  3. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-26, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't prefer the Andros distro that comes with EeePCs so I changed it
    >> to Debian Lenny on my EeePC900, which makes the device far more useful
    >> for me.

    > I thought that the Xandros OS on my eeepc701 was rubbish. No firewall,
    > and terribly promiscuous, no system security.... I'd be ashamed to call
    > it Linux.
    >
    > I installed Gentoo on mine. Actually, I've still got the original
    > Xandros on the SSD and I'm still refining my Gentoo install on a 4GB
    > keydrive. When I'm completely happy with it I'll dump Xandros and move
    > the Gentoo installation onto the SSD. I use a 2GB SD card as my /home
    > hierarchy. All run on ext2 (no journal writes to reduce wear on the
    > drives) filesystems.

    Cool stuff, guys.

    It's nice to have some people who are really into Linux post positive,
    pro-Linux, and /helpful/ stories here, without a bunch of whining and
    other bull****.

    Good on ya Terry!

    --
    And we can always supply them with a program that makes identical files
    into links to a single file.

  4. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    [snips]

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:25:32 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    >> It's been a lot of fun to set up, but not something for novices to
    >> attempt. Ubuntu is for the novices, Gentoo is for the tweekers.

    > Great!
    >
    > Now that we have those two great methods of installing alternative
    > linuces on the Eee, I can't wait for the instructions from the expert
    > Windolts to explain putting XP on one of the models that comes with
    > linux installed.

    Step 1: double the installed RAM.

  5. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:26:09 -0700, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:25:32 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >>> It's been a lot of fun to set up, but not something for novices to
    >>> attempt. Ubuntu is for the novices, Gentoo is for the tweekers.

    >> Great!
    >>
    >> Now that we have those two great methods of installing alternative
    >> linuces on the Eee, I can't wait for the instructions from the expert
    >> Windolts to explain putting XP on one of the models that comes with
    >> linux installed.

    > Step 1: double the installed RAM.

    For many people Step 1: Remove Linux and install Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:15:14 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Cool stuff, guys.
    >
    > It's nice to have some people who are really into Linux post positive,
    > pro-Linux, and /helpful/ stories here, without a bunch of whining and
    > other bull****.
    >
    > Good on ya Terry!

    Thanks Chris, and there are lots more on the way!

  7. Re: Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:18:21 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:15:14 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >

    >> Cool stuff, guys.
    >>
    >> It's nice to have some people who are really into Linux post positive,
    >> pro-Linux, and /helpful/ stories here, without a bunch of whining and
    >> other bull****.
    >>
    >> Good on ya Terry!

    > Thanks Chris, and there are lots more on the way!

    Ahh you like pain!
    It figures.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb