Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent - Linux

This is a discussion on Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent - Linux ; This is totally ridiculous: http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml I almost completed a mail server Web interface through which a user can search for accounts and aliases by partial strings, to make selecting a particular item easier -- so I guess I now have ...

  1. Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent

    This is totally ridiculous:

    http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml

    I almost completed a mail server Web interface through which a user can
    search for accounts and aliases by partial strings, to make selecting a
    particular item easier -- so I guess I now have to pay Microsoft for my use
    of their innovative "Intellectual Property" ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > This is totally ridiculous:
    >
    > http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml
    >
    > I almost completed a mail server Web interface through which a
    > user can search for accounts and aliases by partial strings,
    > to make selecting a particular item easier -- so I guess I now
    > have to pay Microsoft for my use of their innovative
    > "Intellectual Property" ...

    It seems to truly have come to a place of absurdity. I could
    understand if someone copied their code, but is this innovation?
    Someone really needs to look seriously at the patent situation.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  3. Re: Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:29:14 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml

    I have to agree with Richard on this one.
    That *is* absurd.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:52:06 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:29:14 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml

    > I have to agree with Richard on this one.
    > That *is* absurd.....

    Well, this was filed in 2001. I believe IE6 was the first browser to
    actually do that, and all the others copied them afterwards.

    This is the behavior of typing a url and having the previously typed urls
    show up in the drop down in real-time as you type it.

  5. Re: Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:57:06 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:52:06 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:29:14 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml

    >> I have to agree with Richard on this one.
    >> That *is* absurd.....

    > Well, this was filed in 2001. I believe IE6 was the first browser to
    > actually do that, and all the others copied them afterwards.
    >
    > This is the behavior of typing a url and having the previously typed urls
    > show up in the drop down in real-time as you type it.

    The article is vague about that.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Another day, another horrible Microsoft patent

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:52:06 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:29:14 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://techdirt.com/articles/20080626/0203581527.shtml

    >> I have to agree with Richard on this one.
    >> That *is* absurd.....

    > Well, this was filed in 2001. I believe IE6 was the first browser to
    > actually do that, and all the others copied them afterwards.
    >
    > This is the behavior of typing a url and having the previously typed urls
    > show up in the drop down in real-time as you type it.

    If true, why did it about 7 years to grant this little piece of ****?

    By the way, has anybody else noticed how Google no longer (at least for
    me) provides a drop-down list of /my/ searches that match what I've
    typed so far? Now it shows, apparently, all searches that google has on
    record.

    --
    Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.
    -- Andrew Young

+ Reply to Thread