Re: Linux makes GUI programming easy! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux makes GUI programming easy! - Linux ; On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter wrote: > A GTK2-Perl intro using Glade It's good. Built a GUI app to do my finances out of Gtk2-perl and a postgresql database. It is dead easy to do. With Glade you design your GUI ...

  1. Re: Linux makes GUI programming easy!

    On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter wrote:

    > A GTK2-Perl intro using Glade

    It's good. Built a GUI app to do my finances out of Gtk2-perl and a
    postgresql database. It is dead easy to do.

    With Glade you design your GUI and keep it in an XML file. Your perl
    script picks it up and runs it... Nothing easier and dead simple to
    maintain.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Linux makes GUI programming easy!

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:53:12 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> A GTK2-Perl intro using Glade

    > It's good. Built a GUI app to do my finances out of Gtk2-perl and a
    > postgresql database. It is dead easy to do.
    >
    > With Glade you design your GUI and keep it in an XML file. Your perl
    > script picks it up and runs it... Nothing easier and dead simple to
    > maintain.

    So true!

    I need to do some DB integration for a small app soon myself.

    Linux supplies all the tools a programmer needs, and for Free!

  3. Re: Linux makes GUI programming easy!

    On 2008-10-26, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:53:12 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >>> A GTK2-Perl intro using Glade

    >> It's good. Built a GUI app to do my finances out of Gtk2-perl and a
    >> postgresql database. It is dead easy to do.
    >>
    >> With Glade you design your GUI and keep it in an XML file. Your perl
    >> script picks it up and runs it... Nothing easier and dead simple to
    >> maintain.

    > So true!
    >
    > I need to do some DB integration for a small app soon myself.

    I have a centralised database management system. One database server
    handles all my needs. Postgres is a cross-platform database that is
    perfectly integrated into tcp/ip.

    Perl works wonderfully well with postgres. Not only can you write your
    stored procedures in perl, you can use perl scripts to access a central
    database as a client.

    > Linux supplies all the tools a programmer needs, and for Free!

    It's what attracted me to Linux. Excellent programming tools without a
    huge cost or NDAs...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: Linux makes GUI programming easy!

    On 25 Oct 2008 20:53:12 GMT
    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > With Glade you design your GUI and keep it in an XML file. Your perl
    > script picks it up and runs it... Nothing easier and dead simple to
    > maintain.

    Even better, is that you're not tied to any particular language when
    you use Glade. You can re-write that software in anything from C to C#
    to Python to PHP, if you want, and still be able to use the same Glade
    XML file. Glade bindings exist for nearly as many languages as do GTK+
    bindings, I think.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.