File Management - Linux

This is a discussion on File Management - Linux ; Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing: > "7" stated in post > 8sYMk.77784$E41.53963@text.news.virginmedia.com on 10/26/08 4:24 AM: > > ... >>> Hint: Mark Shuttlewoth, Ubuntu, and Gnome are ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: File Management

    Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:

    > "7" stated in post
    > 8sYMk.77784$E41.53963@text.news.virginmedia.com on 10/26/08 4:24 AM:

    >>> Hint: Mark Shuttlewoth, Ubuntu, and Gnome are all relevant to Linux...
    >>> seriously, how could you not know that?

    >> Is that how *you* see your content spam post?

    > I was merely giving you a hint so you could understand your error. Did it
    > help or are you still confused?

    Your defense is by no means unique for a content spammer.
    Is that your only defense for engaging in content spam posts?

  2. Re: File Management

    "7" stated in post
    2B1Nk.77925$E41.49505@text.news.virginmedia.com on 10/26/08 10:15 AM:

    > Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:
    >
    >> "7" stated in post
    >> 8sYMk.77784$E41.53963@text.news.virginmedia.com on 10/26/08 4:24 AM:

    >>> Is that how *you* see your content spam post?

    >> I was merely giving you a hint so you could understand your error. Did it
    >> help or are you still confused?

    > Your defense is by no means unique for a content spammer.
    > Is that your only defense for engaging in content spam posts?

    Your name calling does not answer the question. Clearly you are just lost.
    Up until now I have given you the benefit of the doubt and just assumed
    English was not your native language. You have proved, now, that whatever
    your native language is you are simply ignorant.

    --Aldous Huxley

  3. Re: File Management

    On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:

    >> What I meant is that it's sad but true that Marky, Buntu and Gnome are
    >> relevant to Linux. I very often do not agree with their vision on how
    >> Linux should evolve...

    > Where do you disagree?

    They just want to make Linux more like Windows/OSX. Ubuntu even tells
    the user to reboot after updating a graphics driver, while there's
    absolutely no reasdon to do so. It's the wanting to live up to the
    expectations of Windows/OSX users, up to the point where it becomes
    riduculous. Bah.

    --
    Oh God, oh God! I'm so fantastic!
    Thanks to Freddie I'm a sexual spastic.

  4. Re: File Management

    "TomB" stated in post
    R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:

    > On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >
    >>> What I meant is that it's sad but true that Marky, Buntu and Gnome are
    >>> relevant to Linux. I very often do not agree with their vision on how
    >>> Linux should evolve...

    >> Where do you disagree?

    > They just want to make Linux more like Windows/OSX.

    The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    > Ubuntu even tells the user to reboot after updating a graphics driver, while
    > there's absolutely no reasdon to do so. It's the wanting to live up to the
    > expectations of Windows/OSX users, up to the point where it becomes
    > riduculous. Bah.

    I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    --
    "The music is not inside the piano." - Alan Kay

  5. Re: File Management

    Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit

    >>> I was merely giving you a hint so you could understand your error. Did
    >>> it help or are you still confused?

    >> Your defense is by no means unique for a content spammer.
    >> Is that your only defense for engaging in content spam posts?
    >>

    > Your name calling does not answer the question.

    OK you are a twat!

    At least one bit of your claim is now accurate.

    As for your part as a content spammer, you have no shame
    for being reduced to trolling for appil to make a living?
    And then go around criticising anyone who cares to offer you
    advise like go and take your theories to appropriate newsgroup?

    In the EU corporate asstroturfing is banned as of 26 May 2008.
    May be the US should be playing catch up with these new laws.

  6. Re: File Management

    "7" stated in post
    eG4Nk.78028$E41.47420@text.news.virginmedia.com on 10/26/08 1:46 PM:

    > Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit

    >>> Your defense is by no means unique for a content spammer.
    >>> Is that your only defense for engaging in content spam posts?
    >>>

    >> Your name calling does not answer the question.

    > OK you are a twat!
    >
    > At least one bit of your claim is now accurate.
    >
    > As for your part as a content spammer, you have no shame
    > for being reduced to trolling for appil to make a living?
    > And then go around criticising anyone who cares to offer you
    > advise like go and take your theories to appropriate newsgroup?
    >
    > In the EU corporate asstroturfing is banned as of 26 May 2008.
    > May be the US should be playing catch up with these new laws.

    If you wish to comment on topic then by all means do so. If you are just
    going to spew insults and use what is now, apparently, purposely poor
    grammar and spelling then do not expect me to take your comments seriously.

    Do you have anything of value to add to the conversation? I am happy to
    give you another chance.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted

  7. Re: File Management

    On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    > "TomB" stated in post
    > R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:

    >>> Where do you disagree?

    >> They just want to make Linux more like Windows/OSX.

    > The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    > perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    > argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    >> Ubuntu even tells the user to reboot after updating a graphics driver, while
    >> there's absolutely no reasdon to do so. It's the wanting to live up to the
    >> expectations of Windows/OSX users, up to the point where it becomes
    >> riduculous. Bah.

    > I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    > this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    --
    I eat because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because I eat.
    ~ Fat Bastard

  8. Re: File Management

    TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >> "TomB" stated in post
    >> R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:

    >>> They just want to make Linux more like Windows/OSX.

    >> The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    >> perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    >> argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    > I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    I absolutely don't want a uniform linux
    If I wanted something like that, I could use windows

    >>> Ubuntu even tells the user to reboot after updating a graphics driver,
    >>> while there's absolutely no reasdon to do so. It's the wanting to live
    >>> up to the expectations of Windows/OSX users, up to the point where it
    >>> becomes riduculous. Bah.

    >> I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    >> this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    > Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    > Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    There is no reason, except technical incompetence.
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  9. Re: File Management

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    4904f3b2$0$14056$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/26/08 3:48 PM:

    > TomB wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >>> "TomB" stated in post
    >>> R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:

    >>> The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    >>> perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    >>> argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    >> I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    > I absolutely don't want a uniform linux
    > If I wanted something like that, I could use windows

    Who, if anyone, is suggesting desktop Linux should be limited in such a way?
    Do you even know, yet, what it is you are so gung-ho against? I bet not.

    Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?

  10. Re: File Management

    "TomB" stated in post
    5f6Nk.79573$WX2.33654@newsfe17.ams2 on 10/26/08 3:33 PM:

    > On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >> "TomB" stated in post
    >> R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:

    >>> They just want to make Linux more like Windows/OSX.

    >> The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    >> perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    >> argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    > I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    Do you not value the areas it has "borrowed" from other OSs? Heck, its
    Unix-like goodness, its Mac-like GUI, etc.

    >>> Ubuntu even tells the user to reboot after updating a graphics driver, while
    >>> there's absolutely no reasdon to do so. It's the wanting to live up to the
    >>> expectations of Windows/OSX users, up to the point where it becomes
    >>> riduculous. Bah.

    >> I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    >> this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    > Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    > Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    Nope... but I would not jump to the conclusion you did.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  11. Re: File Management

    On 2008-10-27, Snit was urged to write the following:

    >> I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    > Do you not value the areas it has "borrowed" from other OSs? Heck, its
    > Unix-like goodness, its Mac-like GUI, etc.

    The unix-like goodness it the whole point. No Mac-like gui over here
    though, as I use the awesome window manager and cli apps for common
    tasks like mail, news, file management, sysadmin...

    >>> I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    >>> this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    >> Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    >> Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    > Nope... but I would not jump to the conclusion you did.

    I did not jump to conclusions. You don't have to reboot your system
    after updating the graphics driver. You just have to kill off X,
    unload the old driver, load the new one, and then restart X.

    --
    It's the dwarves that go swimmin' with big hairy women.
    ~ Gimli, son of Gloin

  12. Re: File Management

    "TomB" stated in post
    bhfNk.64942$z67.38428@newsfe11.ams2 on 10/27/08 1:50 AM:

    > On 2008-10-27, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >
    >>> I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    >> Do you not value the areas it has "borrowed" from other OSs? Heck, its
    >> Unix-like goodness, its Mac-like GUI, etc.

    > The unix-like goodness it the whole point.

    The "unix-like goodness" was, clearly, borrowed from another OS (or, really,
    class of OSs, of which OS X is now a part of... as if that mattered).

    > No Mac-like gui over here
    > though, as I use the awesome window manager and cli apps for common
    > tasks like mail, news, file management, sysadmin...

    Sure, you do not need to have a GUI on Linux, even desktop Linux, but most
    people do. How many of the top, say, 10 desktop Linux distros do not come
    with KDe or Gnome and a pile of GUI software with the idea that most users
    will use the GUI?

    And I do not want not want to get carried away with the focus on borrowing
    from Apple's GUIs. While Apple clearly is the one who popularized (and to a
    large extent created) what is now the ubiquitous GUI paradigm, Linux also
    borrows from Windows a lot - often having something similar to the task bar,
    complete with the notification area and a Start-like menu. Windows
    generally have Windows-like widgets, too, though with some variation.

    >>> Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a Linux
    >>> system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?
    >>>

    >> Nope... but I would not jump to the conclusion you did.

    > I did not jump to conclusions. You don't have to reboot your system after
    > updating the graphics driver. You just have to kill off X, unload the old
    > driver, load the new one, and then restart X.

    Your jump was to say that the reboot is done to match expectations of
    Windows/OS X users.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  13. Re: File Management

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:33:37 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >> "TomB" stated in post
    >> R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:

    >>> They just want to make Linux more like Windows/OSX.

    >> The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    >> perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    >> argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    > I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.
    >
    >>> Ubuntu even tells the user to reboot after updating a graphics driver, while
    >>> there's absolutely no reasdon to do so. It's the wanting to live up to the
    >>> expectations of Windows/OSX users, up to the point where it becomes
    >>> riduculous. Bah.

    >> I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    >> this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    > Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    > Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    There is no reason, even with Ubuntu.
    You log out the user, restart x-server, & log back in.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  14. Re: File Management

    On 2008-10-27, TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-10-27, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >
    >>> I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    >> Do you not value the areas it has "borrowed" from other OSs? Heck,
    >> its Unix-like goodness, its Mac-like GUI, etc.

    > The unix-like goodness it the whole point. No Mac-like gui over here
    > though, as I use the awesome window manager and cli apps for common
    > tasks like mail, news, file management, sysadmin...

    >>> Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    >>> Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    >> Nope... but I would not jump to the conclusion you did.
    >>

    > I did not jump to conclusions. You don't have to reboot your system
    > after updating the graphics driver. You just have to kill off X,
    > unload the old driver, load the new one, and then restart X.

    On Gentoo you don't even have to do that. The graphics driver is updated
    without killing X. Use the new graphics driver next boot if you want.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  15. Re: File Management

    "William Poaster" stated in post
    pan.2008.10.27.11.12.51.817916@mc2-brunel.deb on 10/27/08 4:12 AM:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:33:37 +0000, TomB wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-26, Snit was urged to write the following:
    >>> "TomB" stated in post
    >>> R%3Nk.114673$wG3.41984@newsfe23.ams2 on 10/26/08 1:00 PM:

    >>> The history of desktop Linux is to borrow from other's ideas and then,
    >>> perhaps, modify them some... sometimes even making them better. Hard to
    >>> argue against doing so and still be a Linux advocate.

    >> I advocate Linux for its differences rather than its resemblances.

    >>> I would love to see something showing this is the only reason Ubuntu does
    >>> this. Seems grossly unlikely.

    >> Yes it seems very unlikely, but I cannot see any reason to reboot a
    >> Linux system after updating the graphics driver. Really. Can you?

    > There is no reason, even with Ubuntu.
    > You log out the user, restart x-server, & log back in.

    Thank you.

    --
    Projects should really look to the whole Linux desktop and see how they can
    appeal to both sides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2