X10 Home automation made easy with Linux! - Linux

This is a discussion on X10 Home automation made easy with Linux! - Linux ; Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you. http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to Linux! -- Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997...

  1. X10 Home automation made easy with Linux!

    Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you.

    http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation

    Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to
    Linux!

  2. Re: X10 Home automation made easy with Linux!

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:58:02 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you.
    >
    > http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation
    >
    > Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to
    > Linux!

    Uhhhh.... the software is free for Windows as well....

    http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
    Nice try though...

    Also, who wants to go through all this crap?

    The Test System

    *
    Gnu/Linux/Gentoo work station

    gronk1 heyu-2.3.2 # uname -a

    Linux gronk1 2.6.23-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 7 01:24:52 EST 2008
    i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

    *
    USB to serial cable supplied with the CMU11A. The PL2003 and USB
    serial modules are loaded

    gronk1 heyu-2.3.2 # lsmod | grep pl

    pl2303 18948 1
    usbserial 29416 3 pl2303

    Download Heyu

    *
    Heyu is developed and maintained under Linux. Compile options for Mac
    OS X (Darwin), FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, SunOS/Solaris, SCO Unix, AIX,
    NextStep, and OSF have been implemented with the aid of the Heyu User
    Community.

    HEYU Linux X10 software
    Install Heyu

    *
    # ./Configure

    This script will create a Makefile based by default on the output of
    uname(1), or otherwise on the system type parameter you enter.

    The Makefile has been created for linux.
    Note: If you are upgrading from an earlier version,
    run 'heyu stop' before proceeding further.
    ** Now run 'make' as a normal user **

    *
    # make

    Now become root and run 'make install'

    * # make install

    mkdir -p -m 755 /usr/local/bin
    cp heyu /usr/local/bin
    chgrp root /usr/local/bin/heyu
    chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/heyu
    chown root /usr/local/bin/heyu
    ./install.sh

    I did not find a Heyu configuration file.
    Where would you like the sample Heyu configuration file installed?
    1. In directory /root/.heyu/ (NOT recommended!)
    2. In subdirectory .heyu/ under a user home directory
    3. In directory /etc/heyu (for system-wide access)
    4. No thanks, I'll take care of it myself
    Choice [1, 2, 3, or 4] ? 3
    Creating directory /etc/heyu with permissions rwxrwxrwx.
    Adjust ownership and permissions as required.
    The sample configuration file will be installed as /etc/heyu/x10.conf

    I will add the TTY port for your CM11 to the config file
    Specify /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, etc., or the word dummy
    To which port is the CM11 attached?
    ttyUSB2

    /dev/ttyUSB2
    Changing TTY permissions to 777
    The directory /var/tmp/heyu was created with the permissions 777.
    The permissions for the SPOOL directory (/var/tmp/heyu) are OK
    The permissions for the directory /var/lock were set to 1777

    Initial Testing, can our Linux box talk to the CM11AU ?

    gronk1 heyu-2.3.2 # heyu info

    starting heyu_relay
    10/25 15:30:34 Poll received unknown value (1 bytes), leading byte = a5
    Heyu version 2.3.2
    Configuration at /etc/heyu/x10.conf
    Powerline interface on /dev/ttyUSB2
    Firmware revision Level = 8
    Interface battery usage = Unknown (0xFFFF)
    Raw interface clock: Sat, 14:30:34, Day 298
    (--> Civil Time: Sat 15:30:34 Oct 25 2008 EST (DST))
    No schedule has been uploaded by Heyu.
    Housecode = A
    0 = off, 1 = on, unit 16.......8...4..1
    Last addressed device = 0x0000 (0000000000000000)
    Status of monitored devices = 0x0000 (0000000000000000)
    Status of dimmed devices = 0x0000 (0000000000000000)

    Initial Configuration

    As you can see above Heyu is complaining the battery status is unknown, so
    lets update that

    *
    The command ¡§heyu newbattery¡¨ Resets the CM11A battery timer to zero

    tp@gronk1 ~ $ heyu info | grep battery

    Interface battery usage = 1:41 (hh:mm)

    The Fun Part, turning stuff on and off remotely

    *
    First plug in the AM12AU to mains power, and then plug something into
    the AM12AU, perhaps a incandescent desk lamp of 100W. The lamp will be ON
    by default.
    *
    make sure the front rotary presets are ¡§A1¡¨ which equates to:-
    *
    House: 1
    *
    Unit: 1
    *
    Now enter the following into a CLI terminal (as a non root user), and
    after a short delay of about a second, the AM12AU will make a loud clack as
    its internal relay switches state and the lamp will turn off.

    heyu off A1

    *
    To turn the lamp back on.

    heyu on A1

    A Simple Example

    Lets turn my outside light on from 7pm till 10 pm weeknights. We will use
    my local non root users crontab to do this. Lets also assume we are using a
    incandescent light bulb and a LM15EB preset to a device ID of A16. I simply
    unscrew the bulb, and replace it with the LM15EB, then I screw the bulb
    back into the LM15EB.

    From this point on, my PC will control my front light bulb, providing the
    front light switch is left in the ON¡¨ position. Ah you ask, what happens at
    9PM if the light is off, a visitor rings the bell and I want to manually
    switch it on ?
    All you have to do is switch the light switch on and off three times, and
    on the third time, it will turn the outside light on ¡K. cool huh ?

    First a reminder of the crontab syntax

    # Minute Hour Day Month Day-Of-Week command-to-execute
    # Vixie Cron Sunday = 0
    # man 5 crontab
    # * * * * * command to be executed
    # - - - - -
    # | | | | |
    # | | | | ----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or use names )
    # | | | ------- month (1 - 12)
    # | | --------- day of month (1 - 31)
    # | ----------- hour (0 - 23)
    # ------------- min (0 - 59)

    The Crontab command for our simple example

    # Turn on the front house light
    0 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/heyu on A16
    0 22 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/heyu off A16

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: X10 Home automation made easy with Linux!

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:02:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:58:02 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you.
    >>
    >> http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation
    >>
    >> Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to
    >> Linux!

    > Uhhhh.... the software is free for Windows as well....
    >
    > http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm Nice try though...
    >
    > Also, who wants to go through all this crap?

    Certainly not Wintrolls like you and Erik.

    You two have the concentration span of a gnat, the honesty of a
    politician, and although you both have both been telling me for years
    that you're geniuses, I still don't know what you mean.

  4. Re: X10 Home automation made easy with Linux!

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:15:55 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:02:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:58:02 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you.
    >>>
    >>> http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation
    >>>
    >>> Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to
    >>> Linux!

    >> Uhhhh.... the software is free for Windows as well....
    >>
    >> http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm Nice try though...
    >>
    >> Also, who wants to go through all this crap?

    > Certainly not Wintrolls like you and Erik.

    Nobody in their right mind would want to go through all that crap just to
    turn on a light bulb.

    BTW will your tutorial work with mint Linux?
    What about DSL?
    Puppy Linux?
    How about Debian?
    Slackware?

    And if so, how many days to I have to spend scouring the Linux
    *suppositories* to find all the applications and development tools I need
    to make your little program work?

    See...

    People don't want to screw with Linux and for a good reason.
    In this case, they can download the Windows software for free!

    > You two have the concentration span of a gnat, the honesty of a
    > politician, and although you both have both been telling me for years
    > that you're geniuses, I still don't know what you mean.

    I never said I am a genius.
    I'm a lot smarter than you are though

    Which really doesn't say much now does it

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  5. Re: X10 Home automation made easy with Linux!

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:02:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:58:02 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you.
    >>
    >> http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation
    >>
    >> Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to
    >> Linux!

    > Uhhhh.... the software is free for Windows as well....
    >
    > http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm Nice try though...
    >
    > Also, who wants to go through all this crap?

    Not me, look at all this windows junk for X10!

    Download and install drivers
    Download and install apps, what app does what ?

    Typical Windows mess, NO THANKS!

    Linux is way easier!!!!

  6. Re: X10 Home automation made easy with Linux!

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:42:39 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:02:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:58:02 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yet another way Linux makes life easier for you.
    >>>
    >>> http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...ome_automation
    >>>
    >>> Just buy the hardware, the software won't cost you anything thanks to
    >>> Linux!

    >> Uhhhh.... the software is free for Windows as well....
    >>
    >> http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm Nice try though...
    >>
    >> Also, who wants to go through all this crap?

    > Not me, look at all this windows junk for X10!
    >
    > Download and install drivers
    > Download and install apps, what app does what ?
    >
    > Typical Windows mess, NO THANKS!
    >
    > Linux is way easier!!!!

    Incapable of reading?

    Like I've stated already, you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer
    Terry.

    BTW, compared to the Linux method which is:

    Install a program.
    Now try and find the arcane command that starts it because chances are
    pretty decent you won't find the program listed in the menus.

    That's so much fun

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: