[News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults

    How Anti-Piracy Efforts Benefit Free Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Imagine you, as a happy user of standard, proprietary software, were told
    | that you should use “free” software, so that you would have the freedom to
    | use and share your software however you wanted. This argument would not
    | convince many people on its own. It would sounds like some niche interest in
    | seeing the source code or something. Today, though, this argument holds a lot
    | more water with people. What do we have to thank for this? Aggressive
    | anti-piracy measures.
    `----

    http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/1...free-software/

    Microsoft's global anti-user day

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday, Microsoft announced something they called "Global Anti-Piracy
    | Day".
    |
    | Software companies like Microsoft often refer to copying they don't approve
    | of as "piracy." They suggest that such copying is ethically equivalent to
    | murder and robbery. Even these far-fetched analogies are not enough for
    | Microsoft, who in their press release yesterday updated the comparison to
    | draw a connection between such copying and organized crime: "There is growing
    | evidence that highly organized, transnational criminal organizations and
    | networks are involved in the counterfeiting of software..."
    |
    | Even the US Senate, while recently considering legislation addressing
    | unauthorized copying, had the sense to strike the term "piracy" from its
    | text. You know the term is over-the-top when people receiving hundreds of
    | thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the entertainment
    | industry still feel shy about using it.
    `----

    http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/global-anti-user-day

    Recent:

    Microsoft accused of hacking in piracy clampdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Across China thousands of computer screens are turning dark. The reason is a
    | piece of software from a US firm.
    |
    | Software giant Microsoft is deactivating unauthorised copies of its Windows
    | operating system, in a nation where 82% of all software is pirated – even if
    | many end users do not know it.
    `----

    http://technology.newscientist.com/c...clampdown.html

    Chinese fume at Microsoft anti-piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | China's vocal bloggers seemed stunned that their computers seemed to have
    | phoned Microsoft for the anti-piracy tool without asking.
    |
    | "The computer is mine", one angry blogger penned, "Microsoft has no right to
    | control my hardware without my agreement", the poor fool thought.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...microsoft-anti

    Microsoft sued in China for black screen of death

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Chinese lawyer has filed a legal complaint against Microsoft for installing
    | Windows Genuine Advantage on his computer. He has asked the Ministry of
    | Public Security to file criminal charges against Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...microsoft_wga/

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > How Anti-Piracy Efforts Benefit Free Software

    As I have been trying to tell Goldfarb, China being a case in point.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:29:56 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> How Anti-Piracy Efforts Benefit Free Software

    > As I have been trying to tell Goldfarb, China being a case in point.

    What you are saying in the other thread is all over the place.
    You keep moving the goal posts.

    The point is, Microsoft sells a product
    which is protected by certain legal rules.

    They are entitled to prosecute the criminals using it illegally, China's
    legal system aside because I don't know what their laws are, but in
    general.

    Use it if you wish.
    Don't use it if you wish.

    Again, Linux is free so why do people go through the hassle of pirating
    Windows rather than use the free product.
    Especially in poor (according to you) countries like China?

    You have yet to explain this despite dragging this thread all over the
    group hoping to attract the Linux Mafia to your cause which was lost after
    my first response to you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:19:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Robin T Cox on Saturday 25 October 2008 11:29 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> How Anti-Piracy Efforts Benefit Free Software

    >> As I have been trying to tell Goldfarb, China being a case in point.

    > Dan Gillmor thinks they work with Microsoft to bake in surveillance into
    > Windows.
    >
    > http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv2...illmor_005.ogg

    And you can sit here with a straight face and deny that Red Flag Linux, the
    Chinese govt's version of Linux, isn't loaded with spyware etc?

    Come on already are you that ignorant?

    They put bugs in the taxi's and hotel rooms during the olympics for
    goodness sakes.
    Based on their track record, I don't trust the Chinese govt at all and
    neither should you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: