Free and open source software lets you laugh in the face of recession

,----[ Quote ]
| As the economy tips into recession, there's never been a better time to take
| advantage of free and open source software (FOSS). It's better than
| proprietary software, and it won't cost a penny
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-linux-ubuntu

Recent:

Credit crunch moves business to adopt open source

,----[ Quote ]
| “The world is undergoing serious economic turbulence, but at a time when
| businesses know they simply cannot terminate IT projects, open source
| software providers the perfect solution,” claimed John Powell, Alfresco chief
| executive.
|
| He said that with open source, public and private sector companies resisted
| the demands of proprietary vendors, created a flexible infrastructure as well
| as lower IT spend.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/607074/credit...pt-open-source

Economics of open source remains an academic challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| When I’m looking for open source economic theories my go-to guy is Bruce
| Perens, who has written eloquently on the subject. But he’s not an academic
| economist. Economists don’t usually hand out their top awards to computer
| programmers.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2991

Open sauce Alfresco has its best ever quarter

,----[ Quote ]
| ALFRESCO SOFTWARE announced its strongest ever quarterly financial results
| today, reporting that customer interest has increased during the global
| economic downturn as organisations turn to more cost effective and scalable
| open source software products.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...esco-best-ever

Zenoss Announces Record Quarterly Customer Growth amid Struggling Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial open source IT management firm grows 85 percent quarter over
| quarter
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10910.html

Compiere Closes Third Quarter with Continued Global Expansion and 195 Percent
Growth

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...B68E5%7D&dist=