A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux - Linux ; Contrary to the latest FUD on COLA, Linux has made possible a whole new market segment known as a "Netbook" or "UMPC". This will enable Asus to sell about 10 million new products this year, not to mention all the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    Contrary to the latest FUD on COLA, Linux has made possible a whole new
    market segment known as a "Netbook" or "UMPC".

    This will enable Asus to sell about 10 million new products this year,
    not to mention all the other manufacturers who are jumping on the band
    waggon.

    Naturally some will fail, the most likely ones being the traditional
    Windows resellers, who are totally clueless about Linux and inclined to
    pay for Suse or some other commercial company trying to make a free buck
    from FLOSS for their version of Linux.

    These failures will complain loud and long about how Linux didn't work
    for them, with no doubt a little assistance from Microsoft, who we all
    know is *very* worried, especially as they thought that winning the
    desktop was all that mattered.

    Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    possible.

    Why ?
    1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it did,
    it was so slow as to be totally useless.

    2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in the
    sub $500 Netbook market.

    3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.

    Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

  2. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    > market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    > possible.
    >
    > Why ?
    > 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it did,
    > it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >
    > 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in the
    > sub $500 Netbook market.
    >
    > 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    > the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >
    > Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    Well, you lied about last posting to COLA in 2001, when it was actually
    2004!!! So how can we trust you /now/?

    (Actually, the message-ID that purports to put the Big Lie to Terry's
    2001 claims doesn't work for me.)

    I think I may have a trojaned fortune program, one that runs as a daemon
    scanning COLA:

    --
    Never, ever lie to someone you love unless you're absolutely sure they'll
    never find out the truth.

  3. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter claimed:
    > Contrary to the latest FUD on COLA, Linux has made possible a whole new
    > market segment known as a "Netbook" or "UMPC".

    > Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    > market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    > possible.

    I think we should start pointing out the two distinct markets when the
    trollists spew MS-provided "market share" numbers. At the rate the
    netbooks are growing, in a few years MICROS~1 could have 100% of the
    desktop market (not likely because of App-Hole, but playing
    hypothetical situations here) and still be a minor bit-player in total
    consumer computer usage.

    > Why ?
    > 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it did,
    > it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >
    > 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in the
    > sub $500 Netbook market.
    >
    > 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    > the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >

    > Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    They're soooooooooooooooo last millenium!

    --
    Don't open Windows, you'll let the bugs in!

  4. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On 2008-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> Why ?
    >> 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it did,
    >> it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >>
    >> 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in the
    >> sub $500 Netbook market.
    >>
    >> 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    >> the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >>
    >> Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    > Well, you lied about last posting to COLA in 2001, when it was actually
    > 2004!!! So how can we trust you /now/?

    I didn't see the 2004 claim. I don't buy it. But I think it was
    sometime after 2001. I came to COLA late in 2001 or early 2002 and
    Terry was around. But not more than another year, and I think it was
    less.

    --
    Q: How many Windows jokes are there?
    A: None. They're all true.

  5. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:02:41 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter claimed:
    >> Contrary to the latest FUD on COLA, Linux has made possible a whole new
    >> market segment known as a "Netbook" or "UMPC".

    >> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >> possible.

    > I think we should start pointing out the two distinct markets when the
    > trollists spew MS-provided "market share" numbers. At the rate the
    > netbooks are growing, in a few years MICROS~1 could have 100% of the
    > desktop market (not likely because of App-Hole, but playing
    > hypothetical situations here) and still be a minor bit-player in total
    > consumer computer usage.
    >
    >> Why ?
    >> 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it did,
    >> it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >>
    >> 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in the
    >> sub $500 Netbook market.
    >>
    >> 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    >> the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >>

    >> Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    > They're soooooooooooooooo last millenium!

    Many of these netbooks are offered in both Windows and Linux models.
    Personally, I feel this is a very good market for Linux because it's almost
    like embedded devices, however we really have to wait to see how it plays
    out.
    IOW which model is selling.
    Which model is being returned.
    Which, if any, model is being converted to another OS.
    What the market segment is that is buying these things.
    etc.

    At this point nobody knows except the retailers and manufacturers of these
    devices and I doubt they are going to talk honestly.

    The answer will arrive when we see if both models survive.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:04:55 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >>> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >>> possible.
    >>>
    >>> Why ?
    >>> 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it did,
    >>> it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in the
    >>> sub $500 Netbook market.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    >>> the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    >> Well, you lied about last posting to COLA in 2001, when it was actually
    >> 2004!!! So how can we trust you /now/?
    >>

    > I didn't see the 2004 claim. I don't buy it. But I think it was
    > sometime after 2001. I came to COLA late in 2001 or early 2002 and
    > Terry was around. But not more than another year, and I think it was
    > less.

    Porter is bull ****ting again.
    In another post he claims he hasn't used Windows since 1979.
    Look at his posts from the last time he was in COLA, like 6 years ago or
    more, and he clearly states being Windows free since 1997 (or 95, I forget,
    doesn't matter though).

    Either he has gone senile or he is lying once again.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

  8. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:04:55 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >>> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >>> possible.
    >>>
    >>> Why ?
    >>> 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it
    >>> did, it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in
    >>> the sub $500 Netbook market.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with
    >>> ALL the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    >> Well, you lied about last posting to COLA in 2001, when it was actually
    >> 2004!!! So how can we trust you /now/?
    >>

    > I didn't see the 2004 claim. I don't buy it. But I think it was sometime
    > after 2001. I came to COLA late in 2001 or early 2002 and Terry was
    > around. But not more than another year, and I think it was less.

    You're right, however so adored and beloved by the Wintrolls was I, that
    in 2004 they were still forging articles in my name.

    I would receive a email now and again from Linux Advocates in COLA with
    the forgers post attached.

    It usually contained some bogus claim that I'd 'gone back to Windows'.

    To all reading this article, let me make one thing very *clear*.

    I have NEVER met one SINGLE Ex-Windows Linux user who has 'gone back to
    Windows', EVER. I have been using Linux full time on the desktop since
    1997, and I have always been active in my local Linux LUG etc.

    It just doesn't happen.

  9. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:12:19 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:04:55 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Well, you lied about last posting to COLA in 2001, when it was
    >>> actually 2004!!! So how can we trust you /now/?
    >>>

    >> I didn't see the 2004 claim. I don't buy it. But I think it was
    >> sometime after 2001. I came to COLA late in 2001 or early 2002 and
    >> Terry was around. But not more than another year, and I think it was
    >> less.

    > Porter is bull ****ting again.
    > In another post he claims he hasn't used Windows since 1979. Look at his
    > posts from the last time he was in COLA, like 6 years ago or more, and
    > he clearly states being Windows free since 1997 (or 95, I forget,
    > doesn't matter though).

    Your memory never was very good. 1997 is the correct date, (it's in my
    sig) and 1979 is just a typo, even blind Freddy can work that one out.

    > Either he has gone senile or he is lying once again.

    You are such a stuck record Flatfish Wintroll, get some new material ?

    This stuff was old in 2001, and your endless recycling is boring beyond
    belief.

    Try harder or I'll have to killfile you for the same reason I spray
    noxious weeds with poison.

  10. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:02:41 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter claimed:
    >> Contrary to the latest FUD on COLA, Linux has made possible a whole new
    >> market segment known as a "Netbook" or "UMPC".

    >> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >> possible.

    > I think we should start pointing out the two distinct markets when the
    > trollists spew MS-provided "market share" numbers. At the rate the
    > netbooks are growing, in a few years MICROS~1 could have 100% of the
    > desktop market (not likely because of App-Hole, but playing hypothetical
    > situations here) and still be a minor bit-player in total consumer
    > computer usage.

    You're right!

    It may happen even sooner, for instance a large retail chain in Australia
    by the name of "Harvey Norman" started complaining about 4 months ago
    that the "Australian laptop market had died" and that their shelves were
    full of the usual dual core XP lap-roasters.

    At the same time, Asus were complaining that INTEL, (the worlds only
    manufacturer to still own its own semi conductor fabrication plants) was
    unable to keep up with the supply of EeePC Atom CPUs, and that they would
    have to re engineer the new Atom models to use Celeron CPUs.

    Around the same time I ordered 2x Eeepcs and 1x Asus Aspire One Linux
    powered Netbooks, and in **BOTH** cases, websites I buy from showing stock
    when I placed the order, has zero stock the next day. In **BOTH** cased I
    had to search the web, and phone suppliers to confirm daily stock and
    reserve the units for myself. I had to make the sellers actually go to
    their shelves and find the units, and put stickers on them for me!

    This is something I had NEVER seen before, and shows the vast numbers of
    Linux powered Netbooks being sold.

    >> Why ?
    >> 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it
    >> did, it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >>
    >> 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in
    >> the sub $500 Netbook market.
    >>
    >> 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with ALL
    >> the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >>

    >> Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    > They're soooooooooooooooo last millenium!

    It's a sad joke, one the Wintrolls live daily, sad pathetic creatures
    they are.

  11. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:07:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:02:41 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter claimed:
    >>> Contrary to the latest FUD on COLA, Linux has made possible a whole
    >>> new market segment known as a "Netbook" or "UMPC".

    >>> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >>> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >>> possible.

    >> I think we should start pointing out the two distinct markets when the
    >> trollists spew MS-provided "market share" numbers. At the rate the
    >> netbooks are growing, in a few years MICROS~1 could have 100% of the
    >> desktop market (not likely because of App-Hole, but playing
    >> hypothetical situations here) and still be a minor bit-player in total
    >> consumer computer usage.
    >>
    >>> Why ?
    >>> 1) XP wouldn't even *RUN* on the early Solid State Drives, or if it
    >>> did, it was so slow as to be totally useless.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Linux is Free, no royalties to pay, this means a BIG difference in
    >>> the sub $500 Netbook market.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Linux powered Netbooks get fantastic battery life, and come with
    >>> ALL the applications that people have to purchase with Windows.
    >>>

    >>> Windows ... which past decade do you want to be stuck in ?

    >> They're soooooooooooooooo last millenium!

    > Many of these netbooks are offered in both Windows and Linux models.

    True. Microsoft has made sure they have a *token presence*, but the price
    is higher due to the Windows tax, and the hard drives make them into a
    battery hungry lap roaster.

    Only the clueless buy them.

    > Personally, I feel this is a very good market for Linux because it's
    > almost like embedded devices, however we really have to wait to see how
    > it plays out.

    Wait all you like Wintroll. The market has spoken long ago and the Linux
    machines are selling in unheard of numbers.

    > IOW which model is selling.
    > Which model is being returned.
    > Which, if any, model is being converted to another OS. What the market
    > segment is that is buying these things. etc.

    Please, wait all you like, and keep waiting. The rest of the world will
    continue to buy Linux Netbooks so fast it's hard to get one.

    > At this point nobody knows except the retailers and manufacturers of
    > these devices and I doubt they are going to talk honestly.

    You're the expert on honesty, or lack of it, Wintroll.

    > The answer will arrive when we see if both models survive.

    As usual planet Windows is out of touch, the market spoke long ago, the
    race is over, Linux won it, and Wintrolls like you didn't even know there
    was a race!

    Bill Gates is a lot smarter than you, his perpetual fear is that Windows
    will be overtaken by Linux before he even knows that Windows is in danger.

    And he has good reason to be so paranoid.

  12. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:26:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Some Windows sub-notebooks actually come with StarOffice. But... I'm not
    > sure Microsoft is too thrilled about it. It harms their most profitable
    > monopoly.

    Open Office is standard on the EeePC and the Asus Aspire One, I have both
    units.

    One *amazing thing* is that OO on either Netbook, boots as fast as it
    does on any quad core PC I've seen, which is about 2 seconds!

    How the hell can it be so fast on an embedded 900Mhz Celeron ?

    I guess it has to be Linux and SSD ?

    The Linux Netbooks come with *everything* most people would ever need,
    which is one reason that they are selling so FAST.

    I was in a large retail store about 3 months ago, and a customer noticed
    me reviewing the Netbooks. He asked me 'what one should I buy, the Linux
    or the Windows version?"

    I asked him what he wanted to do, and he replied:-
    1) Web browsing
    2) Word processing
    3) Email

    I suggested that the Linux version would do nicely and was over $100
    cheaper than the slug known as XP.

    He left the store smiling, a Linux Netbook under his arm and over $100
    better off. He also got the last Linux Acer Aspire One in the store.

    I also gave him my card, and said to call me if he had any problems,
    however he hasn't phoned once. This is a sign that Windows users have no
    problems using the Linux Netbooks, all of which have a simple, clear GUI
    interface especially designed for such people.

  13. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:26:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Some Windows sub-notebooks actually come with StarOffice. But... I'm
    >> not sure Microsoft is too thrilled about it. It harms their most
    >> profitable monopoly.

    > Open Office is standard on the EeePC and the Asus Aspire One, I have
    > both units.
    >
    > One *amazing thing* is that OO on either Netbook, boots as fast as it
    > does on any quad core PC I've seen, which is about 2 seconds!
    >
    > How the hell can it be so fast on an embedded 900Mhz Celeron ?
    >
    > I guess it has to be Linux and SSD ?
    >
    > The Linux Netbooks come with *everything* most people would ever need,
    > which is one reason that they are selling so FAST.
    >
    > I was in a large retail store about 3 months ago, and a customer
    > noticed me reviewing the Netbooks. He asked me 'what one should I
    > buy, the Linux or the Windows version?"
    >
    > I asked him what he wanted to do, and he replied:-
    > 1) Web browsing
    > 2) Word processing
    > 3) Email
    >
    > I suggested that the Linux version would do nicely and was over $100
    > cheaper than the slug known as XP.
    >
    > He left the store smiling, a Linux Netbook under his arm and over $100
    > better off. He also got the last Linux Acer Aspire One in the store.

    You're a liar. This fantasy never happened.

    > I also gave him my card, and said to call me if he had any problems,
    > however he hasn't phoned once. This is a sign that Windows users have
    > no problems using the Linux Netbooks, all of which have a simple,
    > clear GUI interface especially designed for such people.

  14. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:04:55 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Well, you lied about last posting to COLA in 2001, when it was
    >>> actually 2004!!! So how can we trust you /now/?
    >>>

    >> I didn't see the 2004 claim. I don't buy it. But I think it was
    >> sometime after 2001. I came to COLA late in 2001 or early 2002 and
    >> Terry was around. But not more than another year, and I think it was
    >> less.

    > You're right, however so adored and beloved by the Wintrolls was I,
    > that in 2004 they were still forging articles in my name.
    >
    > I would receive a email now and again from Linux Advocates in COLA
    > with the forgers post attached.
    >
    > It usually contained some bogus claim that I'd 'gone back to Windows'.
    >
    > To all reading this article, let me make one thing very *clear*.
    >
    > I have NEVER met one SINGLE Ex-Windows Linux user who has 'gone back
    > to Windows', EVER. I have been using Linux full time on the desktop
    > since 1997, and I have always been active in my local Linux LUG etc.
    >
    > It just doesn't happen.

    That's because they never actually quit using Windows in the first place.

  15. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:12:19 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Either he has gone senile or he is lying once again.

    > You are such a stuck record Flatfish Wintroll, get some new material ?
    >
    > This stuff was old in 2001, and your endless recycling is boring beyond
    > belief.
    >
    > Try harder or I'll have to killfile you for the same reason I spray
    > noxious weeds with poison.

    Flatfish occasionally makes some good points. But he spews certain
    garbage so repetitively that the only recourse is to just ignore it.
    You can only refute it once.

    --
    Void where prohibited by law.

  16. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:02:41 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-25, Terry Porter claimed:
    >>
    >>> Ironically while Microsoft was 'winning' the desktop, this new Netbook
    >>> market segment exploded out of nowhere, and Linux alone made this
    >>> possible.

    >> I think we should start pointing out the two distinct markets when the
    >> trollists spew MS-provided "market share" numbers. At the rate the
    >> netbooks are growing, in a few years MICROS~1 could have 100% of the
    >> desktop market (not likely because of App-Hole, but playing hypothetical
    >> situations here) and still be a minor bit-player in total consumer
    >> computer usage.

    > You're right!
    >
    > It may happen even sooner, for instance a large retail chain in Australia
    > by the name of "Harvey Norman" started complaining about 4 months ago
    > that the "Australian laptop market had died" and that their shelves were
    > full of the usual dual core XP lap-roasters.

    Office Depot here in the U.S. is /still/ heavily advertising sale prices
    for fairly high-powered desktops and laptops in their Sunday brochures, some
    even running Vista 64-bit Home Premium on machines with 4 and 6 Gb of
    RAM, for bargain-basement prices. (They've dropped the "COMPUTER BLOWOUT"
    claims, though.)

    Circuit City did advertise the Acer with the Atom processor today.
    However, it's the 1 Gb with a 120 Gb (exact?) hard drive running, get
    this, Windows XP.

    And, at $350, it's barely any cheaper than some of the 2 Gb Vista
    laptops Office Depot is trying to sell.

    Microsoft's still milking ol' Bessie.

    > At the same time, Asus were complaining that INTEL, (the worlds only
    > manufacturer to still own its own semi conductor fabrication plants) was
    > unable to keep up with the supply of EeePC Atom CPUs, and that they would
    > have to re engineer the new Atom models to use Celeron CPUs.

    Type in "Linux netbooks" in a google search, without the quotes.

    Apricot netbook ditches Linux - Oct 21, 2008

    Linux Today - Linux Netbooks Impact Microsoft's Windows Business
    Oct 24, 2008 ... Apricot Drops 'Too Complicated' Linux From Netbook Line

    Linux netbook returns higher?

    Ubuntu Confirms Linux Netbook Returns Higher than Anticipated

    POS stack targets Linux netbooks

    Linux: Linux Netbooks Are Returned 4X More Than Win XP Versions ...

    What's wrong with Linux netbooks? - InternetNews:The Blog - Sean ...

    Linux Netbook Returns: Not Surprising, but Likely Avoidable | OStatic

    It's even worse when you add the quotes. How are you going to find a
    Linux netbook for sale? How are you even going to find an all-inclusive
    survey of recent netbooks?

    Some serious asstroturfing of a couple of anti-Linux stories, eh what?

    Ah, here's a more helpful search, though that damn "what's wrong with
    linux netbooks" still pops up:

    linux netbooks $100..300

    http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2518296895.html

    As Digital Gadgets acknowledges, the g netbook MESO is a version of
    the Amtek Elego, shown earlier this year at the Computex show in
    Taiwan. It faithfully follows the successful netbook formula first
    created by Asus with its Eee. Like others that have followed,
    including the Acer Aspire One, the MSI Wind NB U100, and the Lenovo
    IdeaPad S10, it uses Intel's 22mm x 22mm N270, along with the
    company's 945GMS northbridge and ICH7M southbridge.

    Under the "Sylvania" name.

    Ah, here's a list with a surprising number of netbooks:

    http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5050455510.html

    The OLPC XO-2 looks intriguing, still innovational, dual touchscreens.

    --
    "Yes, let's consider," said Bruno, putting his thumb into his
    mouth again, and sitting down upon a dead mouse.

  17. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:32:27 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:12:19 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Either he has gone senile or he is lying once again.

    >> You are such a stuck record Flatfish Wintroll, get some new material ?
    >>
    >> This stuff was old in 2001, and your endless recycling is boring beyond
    >> belief.
    >>
    >> Try harder or I'll have to killfile you for the same reason I spray
    >> noxious weeds with poison.

    >Flatfish occasionally makes some good points. But he spews certain

    Really? Name one.

  18. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, AZ Nomad belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:32:27 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You are such a stuck record Flatfish Wintroll, get some new material ?
    >>>
    >>> This stuff was old in 2001, and your endless recycling is boring beyond
    >>> belief.
    >>>
    >>> Try harder or I'll have to killfile you for the same reason I spray
    >>> noxious weeds with poison.

    >>Flatfish occasionally makes some good points. But he spews certain

    > Really? Name one.

    He's fairly on target in discussions of Linux audio, though, of course,
    he exaggerates at times.

    --
    My idea of roughing it turning the air conditioner too low.

  19. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:58:05 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >After takin' a swig o' grog, AZ Nomad belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:32:27 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>>Flatfish occasionally makes some good points. But he spews certain

    >> Really? Name one.

    >He's fairly on target in discussions of Linux audio, though, of course,
    >he exaggerates at times.

    For example?
    I've never seen flatty on target about anything.

  20. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:32:27 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
    > wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You are such a stuck record Flatfish Wintroll, get some new
    >>> material ?
    >>>
    >>> This stuff was old in 2001, and your endless recycling is boring
    >>> beyond belief.
    >>>
    >>> Try harder or I'll have to killfile you for the same reason I spray
    >>> noxious weeds with poison.

    >> Flatfish occasionally makes some good points. But he spews certain

    > Really? Name one.

    She is a FAR, FAR better contributor to cola than you'll ever be, bozo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast