A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux - Linux ; On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:56:10 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > Circuit City did advertise the Acer with the Atom processor today. > However, it's the 1 Gb with a 120 Gb (exact?) hard drive running, get > this, Windows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:56:10 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Circuit City did advertise the Acer with the Atom processor today.
    > However, it's the 1 Gb with a 120 Gb (exact?) hard drive running, get
    > this, Windows XP.

    They dumped the Linux version due to lack of sales/interest, at least where
    I live.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:42:48 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:58:05 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>After takin' a swig o' grog, AZ Nomad belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Really? Name one.

    >>He's fairly on target in discussions of Linux audio, though, of course,
    >>he exaggerates at times.

    > For example?
    > I've never seen flatty on target about anything.

    At least the claims are backed up with references, unlike your "millions of
    Vista tmp files" attempt.

    We are still waiting for proof of that claim you made.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  3. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, AZ Nomad belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:58:05 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>He's fairly on target in discussions of Linux audio, though, of course,
    >>he exaggerates at times.

    > For example?
    > I've never seen flatty on target about anything.

    Well, I agree with him that Linux audio "is a mess", though only in the
    sense that the Linux world has not yet settled on the "one true audio
    framework". It works pretty well. You couldn't implement on 96 kHz
    24-channel sampler on a low-end Linux laptop if that weren't the case.

    --
    QOTD:
    I'm not a nerd -- I'm "socially challenged".

  4. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:51:22 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >After takin' a swig o' grog, AZ Nomad belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:58:05 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>He's fairly on target in discussions of Linux audio, though, of course,
    >>>he exaggerates at times.

    >> For example?
    >> I've never seen flatty on target about anything.

    >Well, I agree with him that Linux audio "is a mess", though only in the
    >sense that the Linux world has not yet settled on the "one true audio
    >framework". It works pretty well. You couldn't implement on 96 kHz
    >24-channel sampler on a low-end Linux laptop if that weren't the case.

    For the most part, alsa is the one true audio framework and setting it
    only requires that the computer be turned on and booted. I don't see
    how that is a mess in the slightest.

    Flatty tends to bitch about problems that were solved a decade ago.
    Maybe every time he bitches about a long ago solved problem, the
    response should be to mention up a similar problem with windows 3.1.

  5. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    Terry Porter wrote:

    >I was in a large retail store about 3 months ago, and a customer noticed
    >me reviewing the Netbooks. He asked me 'what one should I buy, the Linux
    >or the Windows version?"
    >
    >I asked him what he wanted to do, and he replied:-
    >1) Web browsing
    >2) Word processing
    >3) Email
    >
    >I suggested that the Linux version would do nicely and was over $100
    >cheaper than the slug known as XP.
    >
    >He left the store smiling, a Linux Netbook under his arm and over $100
    >better off. He also got the last Linux Acer Aspire One in the store.
    >
    >I also gave him my card, and said to call me if he had any problems,
    >however he hasn't phoned once. This is a sign that Windows users have no
    >problems using the Linux Netbooks, all of which have a simple, clear GUI
    >interface especially designed for such people.

    It's so nice to finally see a significant retail presense of Linux
    pre-installed machines. The trolls can whine all the like about "how
    hard it is to change", but of course, it's not a big deal, for many
    users.

    Hell, people are having to learn new cell phones every couple years,
    they can learn a new way of using a PC, as well. Indeed, they are
    being made more simple to operate than Windows is.

    --
    Question: And would you please provide any indication at all why
    providing links is "stealing"?

  6. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:19:38 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >>You are such a stuck record Flatfish Wintroll, get some new material ?

    > He won't. He's the most repetitious fsck imaginable. It seems that
    > every other post reminds us of Micro$oft's impressive market share, as
    > if that proves that Windows is better than Linux.

    Windows and Microsoft Office are expensive.

    Linux and OpenOffice are free.

    So why is Linux's desktop market share so dismal?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:29:42 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >>I was in a large retail store about 3 months ago, and a customer noticed
    >>me reviewing the Netbooks. He asked me 'what one should I buy, the Linux
    >>or the Windows version?"
    >>
    >>I asked him what he wanted to do, and he replied:- 1) Web browsing
    >>2) Word processing
    >>3) Email
    >>
    >>I suggested that the Linux version would do nicely and was over $100
    >>cheaper than the slug known as XP.
    >>
    >>He left the store smiling, a Linux Netbook under his arm and over $100
    >>better off. He also got the last Linux Acer Aspire One in the store.
    >>
    >>I also gave him my card, and said to call me if he had any problems,
    >>however he hasn't phoned once. This is a sign that Windows users have no
    >>problems using the Linux Netbooks, all of which have a simple, clear GUI
    >>interface especially designed for such people.

    > It's so nice to finally see a significant retail presense of Linux
    > pre-installed machines.

    I'm sure Microsoft is doing all it can to try and stop that, as always.

    > The trolls can whine all the like about "how
    > hard it is to change", but of course, it's not a big deal, for many
    > users.

    I'm sure the guy who bought the Acer Aspire One won't change much, maybe
    the background, colors, etc to suit his tastes. I bet the std apps are
    still there in 10 years.

    Windows comes with *nothing* of value, so by definition, to make it
    useful, LOTS of changes are needed, i.e. installing lots of FLOSS apps
    that some kind soul has ported to Windows to them to use for Free.

    The Linux Netbooks come with *everything*, so no changes are needed.

    > Hell, people are having to learn new cell phones every couple years,

    Good point Chrisv !!

    Mobile phones come with EVERYTHING needed to be a working mobile phone.

    Linux Netbooks come with EVERYTHING needed to be a working Netbook

    Windows comes with nothing, a basic Windows box is just the first payment,
    followed by EXPENSIVE (non FLOSS) software, and the usual upgrade cycle.

    > they can learn a new way of using a PC, as well. Indeed, they are being
    > made more simple to operate than Windows is.

    So true.

    As someone said, "people aren't as dumb as Microsoft needs them to be"

    Cheers
    Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2