[News] GNU/Linux XO Beats Windows XO, Says Young Judge - Linux

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux XO Beats Windows XO, Says Young Judge

    On 2008-10-25, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Eight-year-old picks Linux XO laptop over Windows
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A recently performed informal experiment saw an eight-year-old American
    >| student pick the Linux version of the XO laptop over the Windows XP version.
    >| The eight-year-old, representative of the target audience for the educational
    >| notebook, spent an afternoon exploring each notebook, finally picking the
    >| Linux version mostly because it had more software that was not yet explored.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.electronista.com/articles...nux.xo.laptop/

    Well, what do you expect? You won't find anything on any Winders
    install that a kid that age might like. Even Solitaire, Minesweeper and
    Hearts is out of their league, and that's the closest you'll find for
    that age on a Windwoes machine. Paint is best for littler kids, ones
    who haven't been spoiled by Leapfrog yet.

    For we adults, we also have access to notepad and defrag, although both
    of those are probably severely limited to fit in the hardware specs of
    the XO. And we also have the age-old fun of pushing icons around on the
    desktop to prove how "advanced" we are as WinDOS gurus.

    --
    Welcome to Hell! Here's your copy of Windows.

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux XO Beats Windows XO, Says Young Judge

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-10-25, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> Eight-year-old picks Linux XO laptop over Windows
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> A recently performed informal experiment saw an eight-year-old
    >>> American student pick the Linux version of the XO laptop over the
    >>> Windows XP version. The eight-year-old, representative of the
    >>> target audience for the educational notebook, spent an afternoon
    >>> exploring each notebook, finally picking the Linux version mostly
    >>> because it had more software that was not yet explored. `----

    Of course a pre-teen child is going to pick the toy, playtime OS with all
    its little (cr)apps and spinning cubes (assuming it's not frozen on screen).

    But when you leave your playpen, the adult world uses Windows for its
    universe of great software and games.

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux XO Beats Windows XO, Says Young Judge

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >
    >> Eight-year-old picks Linux XO laptop over Windows
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> A recently performed informal experiment saw an
    >>> eight-year-old American student pick the Linux version of
    >>> the XO laptop over the Windows XP version. The
    >>> eight-year-old, representative of the target audience for
    >>> the educational notebook, spent an afternoon exploring
    >>> each notebook, finally picking the Linux version mostly
    >>> because it had more software that was not yet explored.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles...nux.xo.laptop/

    > Well, what do you expect? You won't find anything on any
    > Winders install that a kid that age might like. Even
    > Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts is out of their league, and
    > that's the closest you'll find for that age on a Windwoes
    > machine. Paint is best for littler kids, ones who haven't been
    > spoiled by Leapfrog yet.

    Linux has quite a bit of software developed for the educationsal
    market. My daughter when she was that age enjoyed Linux, because
    I had many games installed that appealed to her age. I also had
    games installed for the son, who was a teenager, Myth-2, Heroes
    of Might and Magic-3, Decent-IV, etc.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux XO Beats Windows XO, Says Young Judge

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:45:40 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >>> Eight-year-old picks Linux XO laptop over Windows
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.electronista.com/articles...nux.xo.laptop/

    >> Well, what do you expect? You won't find anything on any
    >> Winders install that a kid that age might like. Even
    >> Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts is out of their league, and
    >> that's the closest you'll find for that age on a Windwoes
    >> machine. Paint is best for littler kids, ones who haven't been
    >> spoiled by Leapfrog yet.

    > Linux has quite a bit of software developed for the educationsal
    > market. My daughter when she was that age enjoyed Linux, because
    > I had many games installed that appealed to her age. I also had
    > games installed for the son, who was a teenager, Myth-2, Heroes
    > of Might and Magic-3, Decent-IV, etc.

    For younger kids it does.
    But still it's not even close to what Windows has.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux XO Beats Windows XO, Says Young Judge

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Linux has quite a bit of software developed for the
    >> educationsal market. My daughter when she was that age
    >> enjoyed Linux, because I had many games installed that
    >> appealed to her age. I also had games installed for the
    >> son, who was a teenager, Myth-2, Heroes of Might and
    >> Magic-3, Decent-IV, etc.

    > For younger kids it does. But still it's not even close to
    > what Windows has.

    This is an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows
    needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind share of its
    targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how wonderful
    it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup and its
    charter.
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...nux.xo.laptop/

    10/24/2008, 4:05pm, EDT

    Eight-year-old picks Linux XO laptop over Windows

    A recently performed informal experiment saw an eight-year-old
    American student pick the Linux version of the XO laptop over the
    Windows XP version. The eight-year-old, representative of the
    target audience for the educational notebook, spent an afternoon
    exploring each notebook, finally picking the Linux version mostly
    because it had more software that was not yet explored.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)