[News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple - Linux ; Buried in the first quarter earnings report from Microsoft is an astounding fact. For the first time that I can remember, Microsoft closed the quarter with less cash than Apple. Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments for Microsoft add up ...

  1. [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    Buried in the first quarter earnings report from Microsoft is an
    astounding fact. For the first time that I can remember, Microsoft
    closed the quarter with less cash than Apple. Cash, cash equivalents
    and short-term investments for Microsoft add up to $20.7 billion.
    [Not enough to buy Yahoo! without going into debt.] Apple, meanwhile,
    closed the quarter with $24.5 billion....

    Steve Jobs, chief executive of Apple, said yesterday, “The economic
    downturn may present extraordinary opportunities to companies that
    have cash. Cash is king. We are very comfortable with cash in bank and
    it is not burning a hole in our pocket.”

    http://venturebeat.com/2008/10/23/mi...sh-than-apple/

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:57:39 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Buried in the first quarter earnings report from Microsoft is an
    > astounding fact. For the first time that I can remember, Microsoft
    > closed the quarter with less cash than Apple. Cash, cash equivalents and
    > short-term investments for Microsoft add up to $20.7 billion.

    In 2001, MS had $40 Billion in cash!

    I guess the cost of broken chairs add up ?

    The writing is on the wall folks, Microsoft like the Wintrolls on COLA is
    taking a beating, the trend is downwards and Microsoft don't seem to be
    able to do anything about it.

    Maybe they can't.

    > http://venturebeat.com/2008/10/23/mi...-quarter-with-

    less-cash-than-apple/

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:34:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > THE ALLEGATIONS WERE shocking: For years, Microsoft has systematically
    > distorted its profit figures in an effort to consistently beat Wall
    > Street expectations and keep its stock price steadily rising. The
    > false reports would violate SEC regulations, and amount to outright
    > fraud.

    Congrats Roy, you really have your finger on the pulse, excellent work.

    I have read similar articles for years and I know that Microsoft has
    creatively fudged the figures, sell this, but that etc. The most
    interesting fact to me is that are now unable to make MS look good as
    their business is now shrinking so rapidly.

    This started about three years ago.

    The Microsoft 'creative accounting' is known to everyone but the
    Wintrolls it seems.

    I'm betting Vista 7 help slow the slide.

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:41:05 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > The Microsoft 'creative accounting' is known to everyone but the
    > Wintrolls it seems.
    >
    > I'm betting Vista 7 help slow the slide.

    Line above should read "I'm betting Vista 7 *doesn't* help slow the
    slide."

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:41:05 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >

    >> The Microsoft 'creative accounting' is known to everyone but the
    >> Wintrolls it seems.
    >>
    >> I'm betting Vista 7 help slow the slide.

    > Line above should read "I'm betting Vista 7 *doesn't* help slow the
    > slide."

    Now he is posting to himself? Bun Hur Porter?

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:06:26 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:41:05 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >

    >> The Microsoft 'creative accounting' is known to everyone but the
    >> Wintrolls it seems.
    >>
    >> I'm betting Vista 7 help slow the slide.

    > Line above should read "I'm betting Vista 7 *doesn't* help slow the
    > slide."

    I'm betting it will, in a big way.

    Consider: they haven't had a viable desktop OS release since XP, in 2001
    - seven years ago.

    Vista is a pig, few people seem to actually want it. Despite Windows
    users all around me, I know of exactly two machines running it and the
    owner of that machine hates it.

    MS dropped the ball, bigtime. They know it - hence the XP cutoff
    extensions, the downgrade plans, Bill Gates' hedged response to "What's
    the worst product MS ever made?" and so forth.

    Key items people seem to loathe? Bloat, slowness and the ridiculous
    notion that your computer should dictate to you what you are and aren't
    allowed to do. UAC in your face doesn't seem to help, either.

    Presumably, MS - if we can grant them enough brights to pour pee out of a
    boot - knows this and will do something about it: lowered requirements,
    improved performance, less in-your-face annoyances.

    Users, not having had a viable upgrade path in seven years, will quite
    likely infuse MS with massive amounts of capital, at least after an
    initial waiting period to see if Windows 7 is another Vista or ME.

    What I find more interesting is the question not of Windows 7, but of
    Windows 8. If we regard Windows 7 as "damage control" - get it out fast,
    get it out lean, get it out without the screaming insanity of Vista -
    this means Windows 8 becomes their next great opportunity for "change",
    where "change" in MS-speak seems to mean "new ways to make computing as
    painful as possible".

    New kernel? New DRM? New restrictions? New anti-piracy measures?
    Expect it all in Windows 8 - along with the stunning overhead and
    breathtaking lack of performance that go along with it.

    No, I expect Windows 7 _will_ stem the tide, at least somewhat, of MS'
    ongoing saga of driving themselves into the dirt, but I also expect
    Windows 8 (or 7.x, as the case may be) to be the nail which finally
    punctures the giant's tires in a manner they can no longer patch.
    Whether they recover - re-design, re-engineer, re-think - or whether they
    simply go down the crapper, only time will tell, but I don't think it
    will be Windows 7 helping them down that path.

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 06:27:45 -0400, Linux Pimps wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:41:05 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>

    >>> The Microsoft 'creative accounting' is known to everyone but the
    >>> Wintrolls it seems.
    >>>
    >>> I'm betting Vista 7 help slow the slide.

    >> Line above should read "I'm betting Vista 7 *doesn't* help slow the
    >> slide."
    >>

    > Now he is posting to himself? Bun Hur Porter?

    A legend in his own mind!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > I'm betting it will, in a big way.

    You don't know what is under the hood of Vista to make it different from
    any previous version of the NT based O/S.

    > Consider: they haven't had a viable desktop OS release since XP, in 2001
    > - seven years ago.
    >
    > Vista is a pig, few people seem to actually want it. Despite Windows
    > users all around me, I know of exactly two machines running it and the
    > owner of that machine hates it.

    Not if you have a machine that is certified to run Vista will you have
    problems, and one takes the time to understand the O/S.

    > MS dropped the ball, bigtime. They know it - hence the XP cutoff
    > extensions, the downgrade plans, Bill Gates' hedged response to "What's
    > the worst product MS ever made?" and so forth.

    You got your finger on it do you?

    > Key items people seem to loathe? Bloat, slowness and the ridiculous
    > notion that your computer should dictate to you what you are and aren't
    > allowed to do. UAC in your face doesn't seem to help, either.

    You don't know what you are talking about. UAC is not going away. Now,
    one can leave UAC off and run as user/admin wide-open to attack, just
    like they are doing on XP as they turn UAC off. Or they can leave UAC
    enabled and run on the Internet as user/admin but only be a Standard
    user with Standard user rights until the time of privileged escalation,
    which is only at the time of escalation when the user/admin is escalated
    to be a user/admin with full admin rights, and then they are returned to
    being a Standard user again.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...t-control.aspx

    > Users, not having had a viable upgrade path in seven years, will quite
    > likely infuse MS with massive amounts of capital, at least after an
    > initial waiting period to see if Windows 7 is another Vista or ME.

    seeking help that I was helping to understand Vista.>

    I have 300 customers many of which are moving to Vista.

    > What I find more interesting is the question not of Windows 7, but of
    > Windows 8. If we regard Windows 7 as "damage control" - get it out fast,
    > get it out lean, get it out without the screaming insanity of Vista -
    > this means Windows 8 becomes their next great opportunity for "change",
    > where "change" in MS-speak seems to mean "new ways to make computing as
    > painful as possible".

    You don't have your finger on the pulse of IT around the world.

    > New kernel? New DRM? New restrictions? New anti-piracy measures?
    > Expect it all in Windows 8 - along with the stunning overhead and
    > breathtaking lack of performance that go along with it.

    I'll repeat it to you. You don't have your finger on the pulse of IT
    around the world.

    > No, I expect Windows 7 _will_ stem the tide, at least somewhat, of MS'
    > ongoing saga of driving themselves into the dirt, but I also expect
    > Windows 8 (or 7.x, as the case may be) to be the nail which finally
    > punctures the giant's tires in a manner they can no longer patch.
    > Whether they recover - re-design, re-engineer, re-think - or whether they
    > simply go down the crapper, only time will tell, but I don't think it
    > will be Windows 7 helping them down that path.

    MS has got two things:

    1) It has an O/S no matter what you think about it.
    2) It has the software development solutions.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netf.../aa663328.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ion_Foundation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ion_Foundation

    The software development solutions are being used in the workplace and
    in the home sectors, with more to come.

    You'll be dust in your grave if you think MS is going to fall in your
    lifetime. It's not going to happen.

  9. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    In article ,
    Terry Porter wrote:

    > In 2001, MS had $40 Billion in cash!
    >
    > I guess the cost of broken chairs add up ?
    >
    > The writing is on the wall folks, Microsoft like the Wintrolls on COLA is
    > taking a beating, the trend is downwards and Microsoft don't seem to be
    > able to do anything about it.
    >
    > Maybe they can't.

    Now why don't you tell us how much of that $40 billion from 2001 was
    spent on dividends, buybacks, and acquisitions?

    I would not have thought it possible, but you have demonstrated that it
    is actually possible for someone to be more inept than Roy at reading
    financial reports.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:02:05 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> In 2001, MS had $40 Billion in cash!
    >>
    >> I guess the cost of broken chairs add up ?
    >>
    >> The writing is on the wall folks, Microsoft like the Wintrolls on COLA is
    >> taking a beating, the trend is downwards and Microsoft don't seem to be
    >> able to do anything about it.
    >>
    >> Maybe they can't.

    > Now why don't you tell us how much of that $40 billion from 2001 was
    > spent on dividends, buybacks, and acquisitions?
    >
    > I would not have thought it possible, but you have demonstrated that it
    > is actually possible for someone to be more inept than Roy at reading
    > financial reports.

    I have to disagree Tim.....
    Terry Porter's ineptness goes a lot deeper than just financial reports.

    What a tool!

    He's been back for what, 3 or 4 days and already he's showing the idiocy
    that got him laughed out of COLA the last time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:43:23 -0700, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:06:26 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    >> Line above should read "I'm betting Vista 7 *doesn't* help slow the
    >> slide."

    > I'm betting it will, in a big way.

    > No, I expect Windows 7 _will_ stem the tide, at least somewhat, of MS'
    > ongoing saga of driving themselves into the dirt, but I also expect
    > Windows 8 (or 7.x, as the case may be) to be the nail which finally
    > punctures the giant's tires in a manner they can no longer patch.
    > Whether they recover - re-design, re-engineer, re-think - or whether
    > they simply go down the crapper, only time will tell, but I don't think
    > it will be Windows 7 helping them down that path.

    All good logic, I can hardly argue against, and wouldn't try.

    If Microsoft were clever enough to listen to Kelsey, perhaps Vista 7
    could save them in the short term.

    However I think that Microsoft are too big, too slow, and too entrenched
    to be able to dig themselves out of their own pit.

    It will be fun watching tho.

    Regards
    Terry

  12. Re: [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash than Apple

    Terry Porter wrote:

    This person does some serious maroon behind kissing. This *clown* Kelsey
    I would suspect can hardly go to the store and grocery shop, let alone
    try to set policy for a multi billion dollar company. :-P

+ Reply to Thread