Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO! - Linux ; On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:53:35 +0200, KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE wrote: > "7" is getting one big hard-on because a new version of Ubuntu is coming > out. Still the same old crap. Ubuntu won't run any of the popular programs. ...

  1. Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO!

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:53:35 +0200, KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE wrote:

    > "7" is getting one big hard-on because a new version of Ubuntu is coming
    > out. Still the same old crap. Ubuntu won't run any of the popular programs.
    > Ubuntu is still Free. Ubuntu still sucks.
    > Nobody in their right mind would want to use Ubuntu.
    > What you can do with Ubuntu:
    >
    > Email - Very simple e-mails
    > Surf the web - Even Ubuntu can surf the web
    > Burn CDs. - Lots of trouble
    > Rip CDs. - Maybe with help
    > Listen to music. - Yea, from your IPOD
    > Watch video's/DVDs. - From your TV. Not from Ubuntu
    > Scan and print. - Using your multi function printer.
    > Spreadsheets. - You can calculate up to 100 numbers
    > Presentations - If you like stick figures
    > Newsgroups. - "7" is famous for this one. No wonder why he likes Ubuntu
    >
    > HTML editing. - Yes, basic TEXT editing of an HTML file can be done.
    > Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc. - That's it for
    > games. Limited
    >
    > Make videos. - Very basic videos. Maybe 2 min in length before system
    > crashes.
    >
    > Download photos from a camera and organize them. - Hell you can download
    > pictures to your TV from your CAMERA.
    > Translations. - Yes, you can get a translator to help you with Ubuntu
    > Use a dictionary - You need a dictionary to figure out the Ubuntu language
    > Learn how to touch type. - Funny, a keyboard can do that.
    > Edit images. - Whoppteee DO
    >
    > Send and receive a fax. - What do you think your multi-function PRINTER is
    > for.
    >
    > Take screenshots. - So you can send to his mom
    > Create .PDF files. - Adobe makes sure you can do this.
    >
    > Create and use a data base. - Yes, open a text file and create a database.
    > Brilliant.
    >
    > Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including Windows
    > Live Messenger.
    > IRC.
    > Bluetooth. Whopptee Do.
    >
    > What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >
    > REAL WORK

    I tried the latest release candidate the other day and it has a lot of
    problems.

    Hopefully they have been fixed.

    Some things are better.
    My printer actually worked out of the box.
    Dual monitors was easier to setup, no need to go to the Ubuntu display tool
    and then to nvidia-settings. Still have to sudo nvidia-settings though to
    save to xorg.conf.

    It seemed a little faster but I had a couple of lockups and freezes which I
    have never had under Ubuntu 8.04.

    It's also just as ugly looking.

    I expect the Ubuntu fora to be flooded with bug complaints unless the
    release version has fixed the bugs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I tried the latest release candidate the other day and it has a lot of
    > problems.
    >
    > Hopefully they have been fixed.

    What have you done to help fix them?

  3. Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO!

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:41:18 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I tried the latest release candidate the other day and it has a lot of
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Hopefully they have been fixed.

    > What have you done to help fix them?

    Sorry dude I'm not a programmer and the few times where I did report bugs I
    got nasty notes claiming I should have looked at xxxyyyzz before reporting
    because it was a known issue.
    As if I'm supposed to know all this stuff.

    Let the boobs programming it fix it.
    These are basic problems with programs not working.
    Seems easy to fix if they took the time instead of playing with 3d cubes
    and eye candy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  4. Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO!

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I tried the latest release candidate the other day and it has a lot
    >> of problems.
    >>
    >> Hopefully they have been fixed.

    > What have you done to help fix them?

    I paid for 3 Linux box sets at retail.

    What have you done, besides complaining about your locked-up crapware?

    "...when the freezes happen the logs never give any clue, and you can
    only regain control via the Alt-SysRq REISUB key combination - which,
    incidentally, throws my BIOS out of sync, so that it thinks I only
    have 1 hard disk until I completely power off the machine."

    By Robin T. Cox, #419 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=42

  5. Re: New Ubuntu version! Whopptee DO!

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:47:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried the latest release candidate the other day and it has a lot
    >>> of problems.
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully they have been fixed.

    >> What have you done to help fix them?

    > I paid for 3 Linux box sets at retail.
    >

    > What have you done, besides complaining about your locked-up crapware?
    >
    > "...when the freezes happen the logs never give any clue, and you can
    > only regain control via the Alt-SysRq REISUB key combination - which,
    > incidentally, throws my BIOS out of sync, so that it thinks I only
    > have 1 hard disk until I completely power off the machine."
    >
    > By Robin T. Cox, #419 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=42

    I have a whole shelf of SuSe Linux boxed sets.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/