[News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux

    ARM Cortex-based netbooks due soon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While Microsoft has not produced an ARM-compatible version of its mainstream
    | Windows operating system, the chip architecture is supported by Windows CE,
    | multiple Linux distributions and a version of Apple's OS X.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9527261,00.htm

    Windows XP is essentially locked out. Good. Good riddance.

    Recent:

    Linux SDIO stack targets ARM SoCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chennai, India-based EmbWise has ported its Linux SDIO stack to two ARM-based
    | system-on-chips (SoCs). Its SDIOWorx stack is now available for Freescale's
    | i.MX31 and i.MX27 multimedia SoCs, which are primarily targeted at the
    | personal media player (PMP), personal navigation device (PND), and video
    | surveillance camera markets, says EmbWise.
    `----

    Tiny boards gain Linux cross-tools support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gumstix says its tiny ARM-Linux SBCs now support the OpenEmbedded (OE) build
    | environment. In addition to pre-built Linux images, the company now offers
    | a "gumstix-oe" collection of source files and bitbake recipes, for those
    | wishing to use the open source cross-compilation environment.
    `----

    Dual-core ARM SoC clocks to 1.2GHz

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The MV7x SoCs are supported by a reference design development platform,
    | including software drivers, toolchain, and BSPs for Linux, VxWorks, and BSD.
    `----

    Related:

    Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...rich-seam.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
    `----

    http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

    Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

    Linux still top embedded OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
    | following reasons for Linux's popularity:
    |
    | * * * Licensing cost advantages
    | * * * Flexibility of source code access
    | * * * General familiarity
    | * * * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
    | * * * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS
    `----

    Embedded Linux research report ships

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | EDC noted that some 40 percent of the survey's 500 respondents were targeting
    | embedded Linux.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Also in the earlier reports, Andrews observed that the need for RTOS source
    | code was "one of the reasons that proprietary RTOSes created in-house for a
    | specific system have long been popular, and now it's a primary motivating
    | factor in the adoption of Embedded Linux."
    |
    | The now completed survey results are said to include "expert analysis" from
    | Ann Thryft, a 20-year industry veteran. The report includes chapters on
    | platforms, processors, tools, languages, security, target devices, mobile
    | development, and of course, Linux.
    `----

    Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

    Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Microsoft is fighting a losing battle here. It's like gravity.
    | Eventually you just stop fighting and learn to accept it. Even Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-991...bj=TheOpenRoad

  2. Re: [News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ARM Cortex-based netbooks due soon
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| While Microsoft has not produced an ARM-compatible version of its mainstream
    >| Windows operating system, the chip architecture is supported by Windows CE,
    >| multiple Linux distributions and a version of Apple's OS X.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9527261,00.htm
    >
    > Windows XP is essentially locked out. Good. Good riddance.

    Interesting conundrum for MS here... do they go back to NT5.1
    maintenance, and try to port NT5.1 to ARM, or do they stick with wince
    for ARM?

    In any case, I've felt for some time that the market is wide open for
    more ARM-based ultra-portable PCs. I still wonder just why the OLPC
    didn't go for ARM, since power management was at the root of its
    requirements.

    ARM is the dominant player in mobility, of course, so Intel would surely
    like to push into that space with their own arch, but even so...

  3. Re: [News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:02:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ARM Cortex-based netbooks due soon
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | While Microsoft has not produced an ARM-compatible version of its
    > mainstream | Windows operating system, the chip architecture is
    > supported by Windows CE, | multiple Linux distributions and a version of
    > Apple's OS X. `----

    My little Nokia N770 uses an ARM variant, runs Linux as standard, fits in
    my pocket, had a 800X480 color lcd, wifi and audio. Comes with Opera web
    browser (N800 series have Firefox) and all the apps I need.

    It's about one and a half years old, and cost $230 brand new on eBay.
    Very handy when travelling.

    My model has been replaced with the Nokia N800 and N810, and they run
    Linux as well.

    .... It's OK Flatfish, just take some deep breaths and try and calm down.
    Sure Linux is appearing everywhere, and your MS stock is deadly danger of
    tanking, but hey, nothing lasts forever

  4. Re: [News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux

+ Reply to Thread