[News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux... - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    The compelling economics of Linux: What it means for the future of computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am constantly amazed by how rare it is to work with any consumer
    | electronics (CE) device that does *not* run on Linux. Other then two big
    | markets — laptops and mobile phones, nearly every new consumer electronics
    | device runs Linux. Sony televisions, Amazon Kindle, Dash automotive GPS, and
    | nearly every other device you can imagine.
    `----

    http://www.linux-foundation.org/webl...-of-computing/

    Microsoft has marketing to sell the perception that Windows is omnipresent.

    Related:

    The hidden world of Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are many great FOSS projects that utilise old PC hardware and give it a
    | new lease of life. The best is desktop computing with various Linux
    | distribution flavours like Mint, PCLinux, Ubuntu and countless others. In
    | fact it is my considered belief that the best hardware to run Linux on is
    | infact (almost) any machine that is at least 12 months old. It is possible,
    | of course, to select components based on the degree (and maturity) of the
    | specific support under Linux but this has two major drawbacks. * * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Not only do such projects look to modify embedded Linux devices, but some
    | great projects have sprung up to utilise old PCs every household seems to *
    | accumulate in order to fulfil a number of key uses. For example,
    | comprehensive firewall distributions like IPCop or Smoothwall or NAS
    | distributions like FreeNAS (although this is based on BSD.) These are not
    | dirty hacked operating systems either but very mature, streamlined, low
    | memory footprint distributions which run headlessly. Being totally
    | administered through a web browser makes these distributions feel extremely
    | professional and polished (even if the archaic hardware they are running on
    | doesn’t) this being coupled by the extraordinary amount of options present
    | really makes these projects an extraordinary example of the flexibility of
    | Linux/BSD. * * * * *
    `----

    http://whyamistilltyping.wordpress.c...orld-of-linux/

    Linux everywhere

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Take yesterday as a case in point. *I checked the order status of my Elonex
    | One, and sent an email to see if my order for the One can be upgraded to the
    | One+ (bluetooth, and bigger internal memory). *I then caught the train to the
    | Queen Elizabeth hospital, watching the in-train tv which is powered by some
    | Linux flavour (given the error message I saw a few weeks back). *Visiting my
    | friend Simon at the QE, he’s spotted that the tv/phone/internet screens that
    | each patient has are powered by Linux. *This is of course when he’s not
    | tapping away on his Asus EEE, and hopefully writing the next Da Vinci Code
    | (only better). * * * *
    `----

    http://andyhollyhead.wordpress.com/2...ux-everywhere/

    Linux is truly everywhere

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I spent a long time smiling about the Linux bootup screen that I had just
    | seen. To begin with, it reminded me that Linux, and other open-source
    | products, are now everywhere. Linux is no longer for the uber-geeks. It's not
    | just for system administrators and programmers, either. Linux is now at the
    | core of mainstream appliances, there even when you don't think that a
    | computer or operating system might be involved. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster hardware
    | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did before. We
    | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers, or even for
    | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the heart of a growing
    | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices to digital video recorders
    | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered
    | refrigerator, with a built-in bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago
    | you bought milk, isn't far behind. * * *
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    What CAN’T Linux do?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. The story mentioned above. A man installs Linux on sixteen Playstation 3s
    | (with zero hardware modifications), clusters them together, and creates a
    | system to simulate black holes. *
    | 2. Installing Linux on a Mac. I was just reading the most recent Wired
    | magazine that has a good story on how Apple has created a very closed system
    | where only Apple software plays on Apple hardware. Hello Yellow Dog Linux! I
    | have run Linux on an iBook - it was sweet. *
    | 3. Routers. We all know that Linux works well on routers. OpenWRT installs
    | well on many Linksys routers.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 11. Airplane black boxes. Montavista uses a Carrier Grade Linux to power
    | in-flight recorders.
    | 12. Brain surgery. Yep. This Linux-powered robot helps in brain surgery.
    `----

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=186

  2. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:44:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > | Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster
    > hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    > before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers,
    > or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the
    > heart of a growing | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices
    > to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android
    > and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered | refrigerator, with a built-in
    > bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago | you bought milk, isn't
    > far behind.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    It has a USB slot which connects to anything USB storage, and displays
    pics in a slideshow with zoom etc.

    Expect to see most TVs running Linux, except the ones stuck on a blue
    screen, they will be running something else ...

  3. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    ____/ Terry Porter on Wednesday 29 October 2008 04:15 : \____

    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:44:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> | Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster
    >> hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    >> before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers,
    >> or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the
    >> heart of a growing | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices
    >> to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android
    >> and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered | refrigerator, with a built-in
    >> bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago | you bought milk, isn't
    >> far behind.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    > My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    > users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.
    >
    > It has a USB slot which connects to anything USB storage, and displays
    > pics in a slideshow with zoom etc.
    >
    > Expect to see most TVs running Linux, except the ones stuck on a blue
    > screen, they will be running something else ...

    Death knell for television as we know it

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Japanese media reports say the new television, which is likely to run on the
    | open source Linux operating system rather than Microsoft Windows to save
    | boot-up time, could be on sale locally by next March.
    `----

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/technolog...653917723.html

    Embedded Linux has more friends than you may know

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony recently announced that one of its BRAVIA LCD TV factories will double
    | production from 2 million TV sets per year to 4 million to meet growing
    | demand in Europe. Sony has sold more than 20 million of these TVs, and
    | they're all built with embedded Linux.or.
    `----

    http://www.embedded.com/columns/guest/207602734

    Mobile TVs typically run Linux too.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Those who can, Open-Source
    Mem: 2075800k total, 1660792k used, 415008k free, 12460k buffers

  4. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    news:iMydnWYuqYHUfprUnZ2dnUVZ_qDinZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:44:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> | Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster
    >> hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    >> before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers,
    >> or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the
    >> heart of a growing | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices
    >> to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android
    >> and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered | refrigerator, with a built-in
    >> bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago | you bought milk, isn't
    >> far behind.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    > My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    > users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    32"? Well that figures. Small mind, small screen.

    > It has a USB slot which connects to anything USB storage, and displays
    > pics in a slideshow with zoom etc.
    >
    > Expect to see most TVs running Linux, except the ones stuck on a blue
    > screen, they will be running something else ...

    No doubt. Anything that only does a single job would be a logical candidate
    for Linux. It wouldn't need anything better. For most jobs, it wouldn't
    even need Linux.

  5. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On 2008-10-29, Terry Porter was urged to write the following:
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:44:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> | Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster
    >> hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    >> before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers,
    >> or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the
    >> heart of a growing | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices
    >> to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android
    >> and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered | refrigerator, with a built-in
    >> bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago | you bought milk, isn't
    >> far behind.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    > My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    > users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    That's right. My 37" LG also runs Linux, and LG BD players are also
    Linux powered. As are some of the Sony Bravia series.

    --
    In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded.
    ~ Terry Pratchett

  6. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On 2008-10-29, amicus_curious was urged to write the following:

    > "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    > news:iMydnWYuqYHUfprUnZ2dnUVZ_qDinZ2d@netspace.net .au...

    >>> hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    >>> before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers,
    >>> or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the
    >>> heart of a growing | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices
    >>> to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android
    >>> and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered | refrigerator, with a built-in
    >>> bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago | you bought milk, isn't
    >>> far behind.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    >> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.
    >>

    > 32"? Well that figures. Small mind, small screen.

    Such statements typically emerge from a small mind.

    --
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    ~ Bullet Tooth Tony

  7. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-10-29, amicus_curious was urged to write the following:
    >>
    >> "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    >> news:iMydnWYuqYHUfprUnZ2dnUVZ_qDinZ2d@netspace.net .au...

    >>> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >>> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.
    >>>

    >> 32"? Well that figures. Small mind, small screen.

    > Such statements typically emerge from a small mind.

    No. I tiny one.
    Bill Weisgerber tries to tell us that only big is beautiful (without
    exception, naturally), and he naturally got it "big"

    Well, anyone believing that, I have some slightly used bridges, real
    cheap...
    --
    We may not return the affection of those who like us,
    but we always respect their good judgement.

  8. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:42:34 GMT, TomB wrote:

    >>> hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    >>> before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers,
    >>> or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the
    >>> heart of a growing | number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices
    >>> to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android
    >>> and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered | refrigerator, with a built-in
    >>> bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago | you bought milk, isn't
    >>> far behind.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    >> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    > That's right. My 37" LG also runs Linux, and LG BD players are also
    > Linux powered. As are some of the Sony Bravia series.

    Hopefully it works better than the 2 I had to return due to problems.
    One switched channels so slowly it was painful.
    The other would hang when changing the input one selection to another.
    It would scroll normally, using the remote, till it got to Input 2 then
    going from Input 2 to Input 3 required 10 presses, exactly, from the remote
    advance key to make it go the Input 3.

    Now that I learn it might run Linux, I know why.
    Looks like Linux slopware extends to embedded devices as well.

    BTW I now have a Sony and it works great.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

  10. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    TomB wrote:

    > rat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Terry Porter" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >>> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.
    >>>

    >> 32"? Well that figures. Small mind, small screen.

    >Such statements typically emerge from a small mind.

    Wow. What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Even for rat.

    These Wintrolls don't seem to mind at all making complete jackasses of
    themselves.

  11. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:36:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Those who have nothing /useful/ to say (billwg in this case) spew out garbage.

    I'm glad you recognize yourself....
    Roy Schestowitz.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

  13. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:42:34 +0000, TomB wrote:

    >>> hardware | means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did
    >>> before. We | normally think of Linux as an operating system for
    >>> servers, or even for | desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to
    >>> be at the heart of a growing | number of appliances, from
    >>> video-on-demand devices to digital video recorders | (e.g., TiVo), to
    >>> cellphones (e.g., Android and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered |
    >>> refrigerator, with a built-in bar-code scanner that can tell you how
    >>> long ago | you bought milk, isn't far behind.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://ostatic.com/158401-blog/linux...uly-everywhere

    >> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    > That's right. My 37" LG also runs Linux, and LG BD players are also
    > Linux powered. As are some of the Sony Bravia series.

    I just have to say, I really *love* this Linux powered LG TV, from the
    hidef screen and crystal clear pics, down to the beautiful exquisitely
    made hand controller.

    Every button is in the perfect place for me.

    Linux and extreme quality just go hand in hand, and I think LG would be
    making OODLES of $$$$ from this product, with very low failure rates.

  14. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On 2008-10-31, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:42:34 +0000, TomB wrote:

    >>> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >>> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    >> That's right. My 37" LG also runs Linux, and LG BD players are also
    >> Linux powered. As are some of the Sony Bravia series.

    > I just have to say, I really *love* this Linux powered LG TV, from the
    > hidef screen and crystal clear pics, down to the beautiful exquisitely
    > made hand controller.
    >
    > Every button is in the perfect place for me.
    >
    > Linux and extreme quality just go hand in hand, and I think LG would be
    > making OODLES of $$$$ from this product, with very low failure rates.

    Yeah, I've had an LG DVD recorder for years. It has a HDD in it and it
    runs linux. Never had to get it repaired and it just works!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  15. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:42:34 +0000, TomB wrote:

    >>> My TV, a 32" LG HIDEF LCD runs Linux. I had no idea until I read the
    >>> users manual and found the GPL listed at the end.

    >> That's right. My 37" LG also runs Linux, and LG BD players are also
    >> Linux powered. As are some of the Sony Bravia series.

    > I just have to say, I really *love* this Linux powered LG TV, from the
    > hidef screen and crystal clear pics, down to the beautiful exquisitely
    > made hand controller.
    >
    > Every button is in the perfect place for me.
    >
    > Linux and extreme quality just go hand in hand, and I think LG would be
    > making OODLES of $$$$ from this product, with very low failure rates.

    LG == "Linux Goodness";

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  16. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 29 October 2008 22:54 : \____
    >
    >> TomB wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-10-29, amicus_curious was urged to write the following:

    >>> Such statements typically emerge from a small mind.
    >>>

    >> No. I tiny one.
    >> Bill Weisgerber tries to tell us that only big is beautiful (without
    >> exception, naturally), and he naturally got it "big"
    >>
    >> Well, anyone believing that, I have some slightly used bridges, real
    >> cheap...

    > Those who have nothing /useful/ to say (billwg in this case) spew out garbage.

    The best thing to do is ignore him. He's never got anything worthwhile
    to say, but enjoys creating a low-level of irritation on a constant
    basis, hoping to provoke responses, ideally from people annoyed with
    him, so that he can accuse them of being unreasonable. He's obnoxious,
    and not worth responding to. Just killfile him.

  17. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 November 2008 08:31 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 29 October 2008 22:54 : \____

    >>> No. I tiny one.
    >>> Bill Weisgerber tries to tell us that only big is beautiful (without
    >>> exception, naturally), and he naturally got it "big"
    >>>
    >>> Well, anyone believing that, I have some slightly used bridges, real
    >>> cheap...

    >> Those who have nothing /useful/ to say (billwg in this case) spew out
    >> garbage.
    >>

    > The best thing to do is ignore him. He's never got anything worthwhile
    > to say, but enjoys creating a low-level of irritation on a constant
    > basis, hoping to provoke responses, ideally from people annoyed with
    > him, so that he can accuse them of being unreasonable. He's obnoxious,
    > and not worth responding to. Just killfile him.

    I did that years ago. He nymshifted about a year ago, but the style (arrogance)
    soon exposed him.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
    Protocol)
    Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  18. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    [snips]

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:14:18 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Yeah, I've had an LG DVD recorder for years. It has a HDD in it and it
    > runs linux. Never had to get it repaired and it just works!

    Mine is, I suspect, getting a little well-used, as it will occasionally
    now claim that a perfectly good disc is unreadable. Still, it plays most
    without issue and I use it mostly for the PVR side anyhow, storing to the
    HD. Works like a charm - apart from honoring record-blocking signals.
    (Grumble, spit).

  19. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On 2008-11-05, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:14:18 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, I've had an LG DVD recorder for years. It has a HDD in it and it
    >> runs linux. Never had to get it repaired and it just works!

    > Mine is, I suspect, getting a little well-used, as it will occasionally
    > now claim that a perfectly good disc is unreadable. Still, it plays most
    > without issue and I use it mostly for the PVR side anyhow, storing to the
    > HD. Works like a charm - apart from honoring record-blocking signals.
    > (Grumble, spit).

    I've never had mine refuse to record.

    Sometimes it takes longer to start. I suspect an fsck of the HDD,
    y'know... every 30 mounts or so....

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Linux...

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 07:25:13 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-11-05, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:14:18 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah, I've had an LG DVD recorder for years. It has a HDD in it and it
    >>> runs linux. Never had to get it repaired and it just works!

    >> Mine is, I suspect, getting a little well-used, as it will occasionally
    >> now claim that a perfectly good disc is unreadable. Still, it plays
    >> most without issue and I use it mostly for the PVR side anyhow, storing
    >> to the HD. Works like a charm - apart from honoring record-blocking
    >> signals. (Grumble, spit).
    >>

    > I've never had mine refuse to record.
    >
    > Sometimes it takes longer to start. I suspect an fsck of the HDD,
    > y'know... every 30 mounts or so....

    Never had a problem with the HD side, just a refusal to play some known
    good DVDs. Sometimes a power cycle fixes it; I suspect the DVD burner in
    it is getting dodgy and as a result sometimes the hardware itself freezes.

    As to record blocking, it's a relatively rare thing for the most part.
    I've had one or two movies refuse to record but that's about it.

    Where I did run into problems was with, believe it or not, ads.

    I used to use this box to record a particular show I like. No problem,
    it faithfully recorded it every day for months. One day it suddenly
    stopped doing so. It would record part of the show, get into one of the
    commercial breaks and *zot*, recording would cease.

    It started happening _every_ time. I finally happened to be home at the
    right time to watch the show, so I watched it through the PVR, while it
    was recording. Sure enough, an ad came on - a trailer for the Sopranos
    movie, IIRC - which included record-blocking signals. The recording
    stopped.

    An ad. Yeesh. Really, what am I going to do, record it and send it to a
    million people? Suppose I do, what's the result - a million more people
    have seen the ad? Where's the downside? The logic of this one boggles
    the mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast