[News] All Russian Schools are Dumping Microsoft - Linux

  1. [News] All Russian Schools are Dumping Microsoft

    *All* Russian Schools to Use Free Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've often lamented how few schools in the UK use free software, and how
    | difficult it is to break the lock that Microsoft has on the entire
    | educational system. The pathetic state here is highlighted by contrast with
    | Russia, which is making amazing strides in rolling out open source to
    | schools.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1423&blogid=14

    Recent:

    Russia's Open Source Revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From what I have seen and experienced of ALT Linux, it appears to be a first
    | class platform on which to build a strong, flexible network of Linux-driven
    | computers.
    |
    | I shall be watching the Russian schools experiment, and ALT Linux in
    | particular, very closely in the future. I suggest that if you have an
    | interest in the future of Linux/Free Open Source software, you might like to
    | as well.
    `----

    http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot....evolution.html

    Moscow regional government to migrate to Open Source desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Moscow regional administration will test usefulness of an Open Source
    | desktop by migrating several hundreds of desktop PCs to Mandriva GNU/Linux
    | and by installing OpenOffice on a thousand others.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7635/469

    Russians Say Nyet To Windows, But Da To Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The move to Linux may be even more far reaching. I was talking with a Russian
    | Émigré who keeps close tabs on the Russian IT industry, and he is of the
    | belief that the entire government apparatus has plans to totally migrate to
    | Linux by 2012. This must be making our friends in Redmond a little ticked
    | off.
    `----

    http://www.bloggernews.net/115636

    Open Source Government: Several notes on the Russian Free Software Development
    Concept

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian Ministry on Information Technology and Communications published
    | recently a document entitled Concept of development and usage of Free
    | Software in the Russian Federation (Russian). It is a 29-page text, which is
    | by far the most detailed roadmap of government involvement in Free Software.
    | The legal status of this document is not very strong: in the recent Russian
    | governmental tradition a ‘concept’ is a kind of a detailed policy
    | declaration, which may not be fully observed or may even be rejected or
    | forgotten after a short period of time. However, it may serve as groundwork
    | for future projects and more specific policy measures. Thus, even though a
    | concept document does not create anything by itself, its availability is
    | necessary for creation of good things. * * * * *
    `----

    http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/04/...pment-concept/

    Linux Ubuntu PCs set for sale in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux Ubuntu installation on PCs sold by Excimer and NT Computer is to be
    | launched within the nearest month. Consequently, Ubuntu sales in Russia might
    | reach 300 thousand units. Ubuntu 8.04 released on April 24, 2008 is more
    | likely to be preinstalled. *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...8/04/23/298333

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/10/25/272200

    Russian Postal Service Wears Red Hat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian Post and American company Red Hat signed the Protocol of intentions
    | on IT development based on open freeware earlier this month. Andrey Pogodin,
    | Deputy Director General of FSUE Russian Post and Jim Whitehurst, President of
    | Red Hat signed the document within the framework of meeting. The parties
    | agreed to join efforts to implement operating system Linux and other software
    | products with open code in Russian Post’s IT-structure. * *
    `----

    http://www.hellmail.co.uk/postalnews...=402&zoneid=11

    IBM to offer Linux machines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The machines, it was announced, will come with Red Hat's Linux distro, and
    | will come pre-loaded with software from IBM, including its Lotus Symphony *
    | suite.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2950...Linux-machines

    OpenReferent - a New Open Source Challenge to Microsoft Desktop Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mr Pogodin, Deputy General Director of Post of Russia, said: "Post of Russia,
    | which has 42,000 post offices through out the country, can significantly
    | lower the cost of ownership of the Information System." Post of Russia is one
    | of the first customers that signed up to evaluate themove from Microsoft
    | based desktops to OpenReferent solution. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Open Referent is based on the recently announced IBM Lotus Open Collaboration
    | Client Solution with Red Hat.
    |
    | Business partners classified as Red Hat Advanced Business Partners and
    | Lotus-authorized IBM Business Partners may sell the Red Hat and IBM Lotus
    | products globally with a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription, and may
    | additionally offer a six-month Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop trial. * *
    `----

    Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recent interest towards FOSS from the Russian government has boosted
    | commercial activity in this field. No longer than a year ago there was no
    | single large company that would say it is capable of doing FOSS system
    | integration projects. Now there are three, and the number will probably grow. *
    |
    | Nobody is particularly sure about how to do business with FOSS, but it is
    | already evident that it can be done somehow. That is why the larger ones are
    | jumping on the bandwagon simply not to be late. *
    `----

    http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/...hot-in-russia/

    Related:

    2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
    | device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
    | the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
    | mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
    | countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
    | Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
    | for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/05/15/249978

    Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian Softool
    event

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva has been selected as 'Product of the Year 2007' in the Linux
    | category at the Softool exhibition in Moscow. The 'Product of the Year 2007'
    | competition was held by the department of information technologies and
    | computing systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Federal Agency of
    | Information Technologies, the publishing house SK Press, and IT-expo. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Mandriva Linux will also soon be certified by the Federal Service of Export
    | and Technical Control, allowing public sector agencies and organizations
    | dealing with confidential information to use Mandriva Linux. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/..._softool_event

    Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
    | France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
    | Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
    | Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
    | PCs running confidential information. * *
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva

    Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
    | solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
    | companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
    | are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
    `----

    http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/r...igrate-to.html

    Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
    | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
    | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
    |
    | [..]
    |
    | According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
    | software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
    | Ekho Moskvi reports.
    `----

    Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
    | perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
    | in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
    | system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
    | technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
    | given the respective reputations of both countries. * *
    `----

    Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
    | contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
    | will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
    | problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
    | information into the future.” * *
    `----

    http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/...4410&zoneid=57

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/10/25/272200

  2. Re: [News] All Russian Schools are Dumping Microsoft

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:10:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > *All* Russian Schools to Use Free Software

    Good.
    Maybe now they can figure out how to provide electricity and heat 24x7.
    A friend of mine lives in St Petersburg and both the above go on and off
    constantly, and sometimes for extended periods of time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread