[News] All Russian Schools are Dumping Microsoft - Linux

  1. [News] All Russian Schools are Dumping Microsoft

    *All* Russian Schools to Use Free Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've often lamented how few schools in the UK use free software, and how
    | difficult it is to break the lock that Microsoft has on the entire
    | educational system. The pathetic state here is highlighted by contrast with
    | Russia, which is making amazing strides in rolling out open source to
    | schools.

    Russia's Open Source Revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From what I have seen and experienced of ALT Linux, it appears to be a first
    | class platform on which to build a strong, flexible network of Linux-driven
    | computers.
    | I shall be watching the Russian schools experiment, and ALT Linux in
    | particular, very closely in the future. I suggest that if you have an
    | interest in the future of Linux/Free Open Source software, you might like to
    | as well.

    Moscow regional government to migrate to Open Source desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Moscow regional administration will test usefulness of an Open Source
    | desktop by migrating several hundreds of desktop PCs to Mandriva GNU/Linux
    | and by installing OpenOffice on a thousand others.

    Russians Say Nyet To Windows, But Da To Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The move to Linux may be even more far reaching. I was talking with a Russian
    | Émigré who keeps close tabs on the Russian IT industry, and he is of the
    | belief that the entire government apparatus has plans to totally migrate to
    | Linux by 2012. This must be making our friends in Redmond a little ticked
    | off.

    Open Source Government: Several notes on the Russian Free Software Development

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian Ministry on Information Technology and Communications published
    | recently a document entitled Concept of development and usage of Free
    | Software in the Russian Federation (Russian). It is a 29-page text, which is
    | by far the most detailed roadmap of government involvement in Free Software.
    | The legal status of this document is not very strong: in the recent Russian
    | governmental tradition a ‘concept’ is a kind of a detailed policy
    | declaration, which may not be fully observed or may even be rejected or
    | forgotten after a short period of time. However, it may serve as groundwork
    | for future projects and more specific policy measures. Thus, even though a
    | concept document does not create anything by itself, its availability is
    | necessary for creation of good things. * * * * *

    Linux Ubuntu PCs set for sale in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux Ubuntu installation on PCs sold by Excimer and NT Computer is to be
    | launched within the nearest month. Consequently, Ubuntu sales in Russia might
    | reach 300 thousand units. Ubuntu 8.04 released on April 24, 2008 is more
    | likely to be preinstalled. *

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *

    Russian Postal Service Wears Red Hat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian Post and American company Red Hat signed the Protocol of intentions
    | on IT development based on open freeware earlier this month. Andrey Pogodin,
    | Deputy Director General of FSUE Russian Post and Jim Whitehurst, President of
    | Red Hat signed the document within the framework of meeting. The parties
    | agreed to join efforts to implement operating system Linux and other software
    | products with open code in Russian Post’s IT-structure. * *

    IBM to offer Linux machines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The machines, it was announced, will come with Red Hat's Linux distro, and
    | will come pre-loaded with software from IBM, including its Lotus Symphony *
    | suite.

    OpenReferent - a New Open Source Challenge to Microsoft Desktop Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mr Pogodin, Deputy General Director of Post of Russia, said: "Post of Russia,
    | which has 42,000 post offices through out the country, can significantly
    | lower the cost of ownership of the Information System." Post of Russia is one
    | of the first customers that signed up to evaluate themove from Microsoft
    | based desktops to OpenReferent solution. * *
    | [...]
    | Open Referent is based on the recently announced IBM Lotus Open Collaboration
    | Client Solution with Red Hat.
    | Business partners classified as Red Hat Advanced Business Partners and
    | Lotus-authorized IBM Business Partners may sell the Red Hat and IBM Lotus
    | products globally with a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription, and may
    | additionally offer a six-month Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop trial. * *

    Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recent interest towards FOSS from the Russian government has boosted
    | commercial activity in this field. No longer than a year ago there was no
    | single large company that would say it is capable of doing FOSS system
    | integration projects. Now there are three, and the number will probably grow. *
    | Nobody is particularly sure about how to do business with FOSS, but it is
    | already evident that it can be done somehow. That is why the larger ones are
    | jumping on the bandwagon simply not to be late. *

    2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
    | device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
    | the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
    | mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
    | countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
    | Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
    | for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.

    Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian Softool

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva has been selected as 'Product of the Year 2007' in the Linux
    | category at the Softool exhibition in Moscow. The 'Product of the Year 2007'
    | competition was held by the department of information technologies and
    | computing systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Federal Agency of
    | Information Technologies, the publishing house SK Press, and IT-expo. * *
    | [...]
    | Mandriva Linux will also soon be certified by the Federal Service of Export
    | and Technical Control, allowing public sector agencies and organizations
    | dealing with confidential information to use Mandriva Linux. *

    Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
    | France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
    | Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
    | Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
    | PCs running confidential information. * *

    Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
    | solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
    | companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
    | are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).

    Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
    | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
    | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
    | [..]
    | According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
    | software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
    | Ekho Moskvi reports.

    Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
    | perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
    | in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
    | system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
    | technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
    | given the respective reputations of both countries. * *

    Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
    | contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
    | will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
    | problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
    | information into the future.” * *

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
    | Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
    | software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
    | stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
    | significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. * *

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *

    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Re: [News] All Russian Schools are Dumping Microsoft

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:10:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > *All* Russian Schools to Use Free Software

    Maybe now they can figure out how to provide electricity and heat 24x7.
    A friend of mine lives in St Petersburg and both the above go on and off
    constantly, and sometimes for extended periods of time.

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread