Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow) - Linux

This is a discussion on Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow) - Linux ; Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily. And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp. Game over for Linux fans. RL On the desktop, Linux is trouble again, but much less so ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    Game over for Linux fans.

    RL

    On the desktop, Linux is trouble again, but much less so than in
    server farms. For consumers, as opposed to technically versed
    sysadmins, ease of use is still a strong plus for Windows. I bought
    two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
    Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    machine on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining much
    ground on the desktop.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10069777-80.html

    Guest post: Jean-Louis Gassée explains how Microsoft's future business
    model will borrow from both Apple and Google to compete with the free
    world of software.

    October 19, 2008 2:47 PM PDT
    How Microsoft will compete with 'free'

    Jean-Louis Gassée is a general partner at Allegis Capital. Prior to
    his venture capital career he founded Be, Inc., which was sold to Palm
    in 2001. Gassée also held several positions at Apple Computer. He
    started Apple France in 1981, and in 1985 became president of the
    Apple Products Division. Earlier in his career Gassée as worked at
    Data General, Exxon Office Systems and Hewlett-Packard.

  2. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    > And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    The very fact that it is you posting it puts the lie to that.

    --
    There is no dark side of the moon... really... matter of fact it's all dark.
    -- Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon"

  3. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Oct 23, 7:03*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > The very fact that it is you posting it puts the lie to that.

    A lie. You have the link--click on it and read it yourself.

    You kan reed kan't u?

    RL

  4. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:03:05 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    >> And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    > The very fact that it is you posting it puts the lie to that.

    The guy is a partner in Allegis Capital. Now do a little digging, & you
    find that the company has "Corporate Partners".

    Allegis believes that our network of Fortune 100 company relationships...

    Look in the Fortune 100 under 'M', & lo & behold "Microsoft" is listed.
    So Allegis Capital has company relationships with MickeySoft.

    "He's in nobody's camp." bull****.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  5. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    > And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.
    >
    > Game over for Linux fans.

    Linux pretty much does suck, but Gassee didn't say that. Why did you put it
    in quotes?

  6. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    >> And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    > The very fact that it is you posting it puts the lie to that.

    Either RL's reading comprehension is horrible or he has his own special
    language wherein "sucks" means something like "is threatening to take
    big chunks out of Microsoft's OS business".

    Gassee is indicating that Windows is in danger from Linux on servers,
    smartphones, and netbooks. Gassee indicates that many glitches are
    keeping Linux from causing big trouble for Windows on the desktop.
    Gassee is saying that Windows is in trouble and "Unix [Linux, FreeBSD]
    is the problem" and "Linux is trouble", not "Linux is in trouble".

  7. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Oct 23, 9:40*am, Matt wrote:

    Are you stupid or what? I posted the excerpt where Gasse says it
    sucks in the OP. I repeat it here:

    "I bought
    two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
    Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    machine on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining
    much
    ground on the desktop. "

    That's more than a "little rough"--that's a catastrophe!

    You people are living in denial, and that's not to say Egypt either!

    RL

  8. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:15:05 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 23, 9:40*am, Matt wrote:
    >
    > Are you stupid or what? I posted the excerpt where Gasse says it
    > sucks in the OP. I repeat it here:
    >
    > "I bought
    > two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    > Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
    > Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    > many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    > and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    > machine on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining
    > much
    > ground on the desktop. "
    >
    > That's more than a "little rough"--that's a catastrophe!
    >
    > You people are living in denial, and that's not to say Egypt either!
    >
    > RL

    They are living in denial.
    It's very weird that no matter the source, they can't accept criticism of
    Linux.
    They just discredit the poster, call it lies, interject "I've never had a
    problem" etc.

    Linux advocacy seems to have all the traits of a cult that practices
    brainwashing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 23, 9:40*am, Matt wrote:
    >
    > Are you stupid or what? I posted the excerpt where Gasse says it
    > sucks in the OP. I repeat it here:
    >
    > "I bought
    > two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    > Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
    > Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    > many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    > and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    > machine on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining
    > much ground on the desktop. "

    Well, either Asus screwed up the configuration, or this guy did.

    --
    Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!
    -- Monty Python

  10. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:20:57 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Oct 23, 9:40*am, Matt wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you stupid or what? I posted the excerpt where Gasse says it
    >> sucks in the OP. I repeat it here:
    >>
    >> "I bought
    >> two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    >> Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
    >> Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    >> many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    >> and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    >> machine on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining
    >> much ground on the desktop. "

    > Well, either Asus screwed up the configuration, or this guy did.

    Anything but Linux right?
    Maybe it was the tilt of the earth that day,,,,,,,

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    Matt wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    >>> And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    >> The very fact that it is you posting it puts the lie to that.

    > Either RL's reading comprehension is horrible or he has his own special
    > language wherein "sucks" means something like "is threatening to take
    > big chunks out of Microsoft's OS business".

    Well, the usual deniers are still denying the main point of departure in
    Gassee's article: that because FOSS Unix derivatives such as Linux are
    free and have certain other significant advantages, they are going to
    kick Windows' ass eventually unless MS comes up with something soon.
    Gassee says Linux has significant problems on the desktop but roundly
    hints that those can be fixed and that MS better look out when that
    happens. Gassee goes from there to speculate that Ballmer's
    hypothetical mystery strategy is Microsoft's cloud OS running on MS
    hardware with the usual incompatibilities and lockin.

    Really you can't have both honesty and a brain and translate the article
    to "Linux sucks".

    Below I provide excerpts from the article and a few clarifying words of
    my own in brackets.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10069777-80.html

    > Google running Windows Server isn't realistic. Not for price reasons but because Microsoft's server software isn't technically suitable for large "server farms" such as Google's.

    [Windows sucks in large-scale server operations.]

    > Microsoft has had to resort to "other" server software for applications such as Hotmail. But, "scalability issues" (the ability to grow to serve very large server farms) aside, Microsoft is losing against free server software for the millions of simpler Web servers sprouting all over the world. And, as Linux and its cousins mature, they will inevitably make inroads in Enterprise applications where Microsoft still leads.

    [Windows doesn't scale up on servers---Linux does. Hotmail even runs on
    FreeBSD.]

    > Ballmer tries to change the subject by suggesting Apple ought to license its iPhone OS as opposed to keeping it all to itself.

    [Ballmer is asking for Apple's help in shutting Linux out of smartphones.]

    > Microsoft has been selling Windows Mobile licenses for close to eight years now. In the licensing business, the iPhone isn't the real competition, Android [Linux] is. How do you compete with a free smartphone OS, and a good one at that, which is supported by Google Cloud applications?

    [Linux (in the form of Android) is the real competition in smartphones.]

    > Gassee is indicating that Windows is in danger from Linux on servers,
    > smartphones, and netbooks. Gassee indicates that many glitches are
    > keeping Linux from causing big trouble for Windows on the desktop.
    > Gassee is saying that Windows is in trouble and "Unix [Linux, FreeBSD]
    > is the problem" and "Linux is trouble", not "Linux is in trouble".

  12. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 9:40 am, Matt wrote:
    >
    > Are you stupid or what?

    no you aah

    > I posted the excerpt where Gasse says it
    > sucks in the OP.

    You would have to learn to read French^H^H^H^H^H^Hbetween the lines.

    You picked out your one little point from the article and missed
    Gassee's main point that MS doesn't know how to compete with "free" and
    that they had better find a way soon.

    Anybody can see that the present defects on the Linux desktop can be
    fixed and do not amount to much compared to free times about two billion.

    > I repeat it here:
    >
    > "I bought
    > two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    > Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
    > Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    > many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    > and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    > machine on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining
    > much
    > ground on the desktop. "
    >
    > That's more than a "little rough"--that's a catastrophe!
    >
    > You people are living in denial, and that's not to say Egypt either!
    >
    > RL

  13. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    Matt wrote:
> [...]

    [Ballmer is asking for Apple's help in shutting Linux out of smartphones.]

    > Microsoft has been selling Windows Mobile licenses for close to eight years now. In the licensing business, the iPhone isn't the real competition, Android [Linux] is. How do you compete with a free smartphone OS, and a good one at that, which is supported by Google Cloud applications?

    [Linux (in the form of Android) is the real competition in smartphones.]

    > Gassee is indicating that Windows is in danger from Linux on servers,
    > smartphones, and netbooks. Gassee indicates that many glitches are
    > keeping Linux from causing big trouble for Windows on the desktop.
    > Gassee is saying that Windows is in trouble and "Unix [Linux, FreeBSD]
    > is the problem" and "Linux is trouble", not "Linux is in trouble".

  14. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    > And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    Your reading skills obviously haven't matured above kindergarten level.
    First off, the man nowhere says that "Linux sucks", or even anything that
    can be read as the equivalent.

    > On the desktop, Linux is trouble again, but much less so than in
    > server farms. For consumers, as opposed to technically versed
    > sysadmins, ease of use is still a strong plus for Windows. I bought
    > two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    > Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,

    "Windows is easier to update"? I surmise he means that Windows Update can be
    set on full automatic, while Linux asks you if it's OK to perform updates,
    so you have to click a button or two. OK, let's give this the benefit of
    doubt. But Windows usually requires a reboot, while Linux doesn't, which
    pretty much evens out the usability score. Furthermore, with Linux,
    everything but the kitchen sink is updated when and if updates are
    available. Windows only updates the OS and some Microsoft applications,
    once a month -- giving rise to sometimes major surges of malware (and thus
    support headaches) right after Patch Tuesday. Oops, here's one again:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10074072-83.html

    Luckily for their users, they're not waiting three more months before fixing
    what must be a very serious flaw. Talking about which, when was the last
    time something of this importance hit Linux? I can't remember ...

    > Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    > many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    > and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    > machine on.

    OK, he's got a point here. This kind of thing is a bit of a nuisance. Then
    again, I found that Mandriva handles multiple access points just fine, so
    progress is definitely made. I installed Mandriva on an ex-Vista laptop a
    week ago; apart from wireless, *everything* worked flawlessly
    out-of-the-box. And the BCM4315 wireless card issue wasn't a Linux problem,
    but the problem of a vendor seemingly offering no support whatsoever
    (neither Linux nor Windows!) for this particular product -- just go over to
    www.broadcom.com and enter "BCM4315" (or even "4315") in the Search box.
    Nothing is found.

    > This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining much ground on the
    > desktop.

    Plain wrong. Microsoft's dominance has prevented Linux from gaining much
    ground on the desktop, together with market inertia. From its position as a
    small OS, Linux needs to be vastly better than Windows to gain a larger
    audience. People need an incentive to change, especially in a market which
    is both very completely Microsof-centric, and rather Linux-hostile.

    Up until a decade ago, Microsoft simply forbade vendors to sell Linux
    machines. And rather sadly, it's Microsoft's lousy product quality which
    has contributed greatly to its popularity with vendors: it's wet paper bag
    security has given rise to a multi-billion dollar industry of "security
    products", and the fact that it breaks easily, requires quite a bit of
    maintenance (malware scans etcetera), and needs frequent reinstalls provide
    a huge amount of work in the IT business. Lots of people buy a new computer
    because their old one has fallen victim to malware, rendering it "broken".
    And ask any sysadmin: it takes two to four times the amount of workers to
    administer Windows boxes as compared to Linux boxes. And oh, if we're
    talking servers, Linux machines easily outperform Windows machines at that:

    "Google running Windows Server isn't realistic. Not for price reasons but
    because Microsoft's server software isn't technically suitable for
    large "server farms" such as Google's."

    But also in smaller-scale setups, it was traditionally better to set up a
    single Windows box for each separate task -- and something tells me that
    this state of affairs isn't completely coincidental. Multiple separate
    servers mean multiple machines sold, multiple license revenues, and more
    work for all those poor, starving MCSE's and MVP's and their families. It's
    simply not in the interest of Microsoft's (and the industry) to make a
    Windows Server more efficient, and more suitable for multi-role purposes.
    That is, until they need to compete with Linux, which OTOH can run a dozen
    different services from one box without any problem whatsoever. My own
    trusty old PII 233MHz CPU 196MB RAM box here fulfils no less than eight
    server roles, without a hitch so far (three years going so far, with the
    only downtime due to mains and network outages).

    It's no wonder that IT vendors and the industry at large "recommend" Windows
    crap, but often use Linux/Unix/BSD for their own mission-critical
    infrastructure. But it appears that Asus' bold move of selling Linux
    machines is making quite a bit of an impression, so I guess Linux adoption
    will grow -- and together with that, Linux' "rough edges" will quickly
    disappear. So Microsoft definitely has something to worry about.

    But in no way does this journalist say or even suggest that "Linux sucks".

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  15. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Wow. This is big. This guy's opinion cannot be dismissed easily.
    > And notice he has no ax to grind, he's in nobody's camp.

    Yes it can. It's an OPINION you see. Ask your mom to clobber you over
    the head with a dictionary a few times and see if any wisdom seeps through.

    > Game over for Linux fans.

    You wish.

  16. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On 2008-10-24, Richard Rasker claimed:

    > "Windows is easier to update"? I surmise he means that Windows Update can be
    > set on full automatic, while Linux asks you if it's OK to perform updates,
    > so you have to click a button or two. OK, let's give this the benefit of
    > doubt. But Windows usually requires a reboot, while Linux doesn't, which
    > pretty much evens out the usability score. Furthermore, with Linux,
    > everything but the kitchen sink is updated when and if updates are
    > available. Windows only updates the OS and some Microsoft applications,
    > once a month -- giving rise to sometimes major surges of malware (and thus
    > support headaches) right after Patch Tuesday. Oops, here's one again:
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10074072-83.html
    >
    > Luckily for their users, they're not waiting three more months before fixing
    > what must be a very serious flaw. Talking about which, when was the last
    > time something of this importance hit Linux? I can't remember ...

    The writer is super-impressed with this, too. To wit:

    Microsoft's "out-of-band" reaction speaks to the seriousness of this
    threat, but I can't help but be impressed with the behind-the-scenes
    effort that led to this action. It is noteworthy to point out a few
    things:

    I'm already starting cream my jeans with the anticipation of what's
    coming next!

    1. Microsoft security researchers discovered this vulnerability
    themselves with the aid of some customer data. In other words, this
    vulnerability was not brought to Redmond's attention by a
    third-party researcher, Black Hat Web site "chatter," or a series of
    massive malicious exploits. This is a good proof point to those who
    still believe that Microsoft does not take security seriously.

    Wow! That's amazing!! MICROS~1 stumbled across some problem in their
    crapware, assuredly by accident, and they......hold onto your britches,
    now....TOOK CARE OF IT THEMSELVES!

    Isn't that amazing??!?

    2. In preparation for the urgent update, Microsoft has been sharing
    data and patches with other endpoint and network security vendors as
    part of a number of security partnering programs. This means that
    notification from Microsoft will likely be followed by new security
    signatures and support by leading security vendors.

    /Another/ WOW! They saw the security implications of what they
    accidentally discovered, without help from anyone who doesn't possess
    the source code, and shared information with the folks that have been
    protecting their crapware for over a decade!

    What will they think of next???!?!?

    3. It is worth mentioning that the vulnerability in Windows Vista is
    not as pronounced as older versions of Windows. To me, this speaks
    to the effectiveness of the Security Development Lifecycle (SDL)
    process. Lessons learned from this vulnerability will be integrated
    into future revisions of SDL as part of a constant improvement
    cycle.

    There you are! The mostest securest of all OSes ever envisioned by man
    was (is getting) laid low by a vulnerability that their "security
    researchers" found by accident in some of the galaxy-sized "data"
    collections (aka "spying") they've done on their "users" (aka "marks"),
    and they issued a patch, out of cycle. Which proves they really mean it
    this time about security! Plus, MS are so attuned to security these days
    that this vulnerability was most effective on their newer, more secure
    release, but not so bad in the older, less-secure releases! That
    /proves/ they really mean it!

    What it /really/ proves is their track record is so piss-poor that a
    clown like the writer can find it so impressing when they accidentally
    do something that should be routine.

    I don't know about raydopedup, but I'll take real security over saving
    a couple of clicks and some reboots any day of the week.

    --
    Windows: Because _everyone_ needs a good laugh.

  17. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > What it /really/ proves is their track record is so piss-poor that a
    > clown like the writer can find it so impressing when they accidentally
    > do something that should be routine.
    >
    > I don't know about raydopedup, but I'll take real security over saving
    > a couple of clicks and some reboots any day of the week.

    By the way, this dude's Vista "blue-screened" on him yesterday. Just
    out of the blue. Hasn't repeated itself, that I know of.

    --
    Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
    -- S. C. Johnson

  18. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On 2008-10-24, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> What it /really/ proves is their track record is so piss-poor that a
    >> clown like the writer can find it so impressing when they accidentally
    >> do something that should be routine.
    >>
    >> I don't know about raydopedup, but I'll take real security over saving
    >> a couple of clicks and some reboots any day of the week.

    > By the way, this dude's Vista "blue-screened" on him yesterday. Just
    > out of the blue. Hasn't repeated itself, that I know of.

    I didn't use Vista long enough to get it to blue-screen, although I'd
    bet it wouldn't have taken that long.

    But I see XP machines several times a week that blue-screen, usually
    looping between starting to boot and the screen of blue. So far I've
    only tracked 3 of them to hardware problems.

    Since all of the machines are identical, if it was a driver it should
    probably happen even more than it does. But all 300+ of them have the
    same hardware, the same install and the same drivers. 2-3 come in a
    week doing the BSOD/boot loop.

    Windows: Is _just_ works.

    --
    Friends don't let friends use Windows.

  19. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Oct 24, 1:47*am, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Your reading skills obviously haven't matured above kindergarten level.
    > First off, the man nowhere says that "Linux sucks", or even anything that
    > can be read as the equivalent.

    Your opinion versus mine.

    > > On the desktop, Linux is trouble again, but much less so than in
    > > server farms. For consumers, as opposed to technically versed
    > > sysadmins, ease of use is still a strong plus for Windows. I bought
    > > two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
    > > Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,

    > "Windows is easier to update"? I surmise he means that

    You surmise. We decide. And 99% of people have chosen non-Linux over
    Linux.

    > > Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of
    > > many glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points
    > > and passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the
    > > machine on.

    > OK, he's got a point here. This kind of thing is a bit of a nuisance.

    "BIT"? I'd say a byte or even a gigabyte of nuisance.

    > > This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining much ground on the
    > > desktop.

    > Plain wrong. Microsoft's dominance has prevented Linux from gaining much
    > ground on the desktop, together with market inertia. From its position asa
    > small OS, Linux needs to be vastly better than Windows to gain a larger
    > audience. People need an incentive to change, especially in a market which
    > is both very completely Microsof-centric, and rather Linux-hostile.

    My god! Are you serious? I could not AGREE with you on the above
    more! Absolutely right. Linux needs to be vastly better indeed. At
    least honestly is taking a front seat to advocacy in the preceding
    paragraph.

    > Linux machines easily outperform Windows machines at that:
    >
    > *"Google running Windows Server isn't realistic. Not for price reasons but
    > * because Microsoft's server software isn't technically suitable for
    > * large "server farms" such as Google's."

    I have conceded on numerous occasions that Apache running on Linux
    beats Windows Server 2005 on Windows, for enterprises. But the issue
    is a desktop replacement to Windows. Not going to happen.

    > My own
    > trusty old PII 233MHz CPU 196MB RAM box here fulfils no less than eight
    > server roles, without a hitch so far (three years going so far, with the
    > only downtime due to mains and network outages).

    OK, well, your hobby is showing. I also play chess as a hobby, and
    program as a hobby, but I don't consider myself a chess professional
    nor a professional software programmer, though some of my play and my
    code approaches professional quality at times. And nobody is going to
    run a PII server these days. Hardware and software go hand in hand,
    like Intel goes with Microsoft.

    > But in no way does this journalist say or even suggest that "Linux sucks"..

    I agree. It was Gasse who said it sucks.

    RL

  20. Re: Computer Pioneer Jean-Louis Gassee: "Linux sucks" (wow)

    On Oct 24, 9:04*am, Sinister Midget wrote:

    [Lies deleted. Some lies along the lines that identical machines
    develop BSOD independently are stated.]

    > Windows: Is _just_ works.

    The above quote would be funny if you said: "Windows: It _just_
    (barely) works.", but apparently your Linux word processor does not
    have a grammer check like Word does, and so it just looks like a
    stupid typo.

    RL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast