Microsoft and Google face off in Washington

,----[ Quote ]
| The farmers may have had another reason. Rudy Arredondo, the chief executive
| of the Latino farmers group, confirmed that his organization became involved
| in the issue after talking to lobbyists at the Raben Group. The Raben Group
| received $30,000 this spring to lobby against the deal - from Google's rival,
| Microsoft, which wanted to buy Yahoo.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/...ss/lobby20.php

LawMedia shills. Yes, Microsoft AstroTurf again. Someone in Microsoft should be
sent to prison.

Microsoft’s Role In GOOG-YHOO Delay: Outlobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Microsoft spent the intervening months lobbying everyone—
| regulators, other lobbyists, anyone who might be willing to raise a doubt
| about the anti-competitive possibilities. In the process, they drew some
| support—or at least, some doubt-raising—from some of those who gave the
| Redmond company grief over anti-trust issues.
|
| [...]
|
| Google both blames Microsoft for working “hard from behind the scenes to
| generate much of the opposition to this deal” and tries to dismiss it. And
| Microsoft doesn’t want credit for this one, with a spokesman telling the
| Times: “There’s an old rule in debate: if you’re not winning on substance,
| talk about the process.”
`----

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419...-google-in-dc/

Microsoft uses D.C. muscle to squash Google-Yahoo deal

http://blogs.computerworld.com/micro...gle_yahoo_deal

Is Microsoft showing Google the legislative ropes?

http://www.cio-weblog.com/50226711/i...tive_ropes.php

"The Internet? We are not interested in it."

--Bill Gates, 1993

So Man in Sweater is not just corrupting the system in attempt to gain control
of the Internet, just as he did with Netscape but never managed against
Apache.

Recent:

Google-Yahoo Deal Needs Oversight, Senator Says

,----[ Quote ]
| "Recognizing the nascent and fast-changing nature of this marketplace, we
| encourage the department to continue to monitor the state of competition in
| this industry, whatever the outcome of its current investigation," Kohl wrote
| in his letter. "If, over time, you determine that Google is gaining a
| dominant market position as a result of the Google-Yahoo agreement, then we
| would encourage the Justice Department to intervene to protect competition.
| Even should you conclude at present that this deal is not contrary to
| antitrust law, the department must be sure that this deal never in the future
| crosses the line into an unacceptable, anti-competitive collaboration among
| competitors which will harm consumers and advertisers."
`----

Yahoo joins Google in defending ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here's the bottom line," Decker wrote late last week. "Yahoo will use this
| agreement to help us become a stronger competitor in all aspects of online
| advertising; and Yahoo is not exiting the sponsored search business. We plan
| to remain a strong player in sponsored search."
|
| [...]
|
| Early on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that
| the deal gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic
| that derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just
| plain wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is
| non-exclusive and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and
| when we see fit. The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a
| more typical exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic
| commitments to Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are
| raising."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Gets 70% of U.S. Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| But Google's gain led to lower numbers for other search companies. Yahoo Inc.
| received 19.62% of U.S. searches in June, down from 21.31% last year, while
| MSN Search received 5.46%, down from 9.85% in June 2007.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._searches.html

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...its.4306016.jp

,----[ Quote ]
| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

Live Searches Drop Below 1 Billion

,----[ Quote ]
| August U.S. search share data shows ugly declines for Microsoft in 2008.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...1_billion.html

Icahn takes his seat at Yahoo table

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo's reconstituted board is expected to meet for the first time tomorrow,
| with activist member Carl Icahn committed to renewing the pressure for a deal
| with Microsoft.
|
| Mr Icahn, the billionaire investor, and two allies were elected after Yahoo's
| annual meeting on August 1 in a deal that ended a proxy fight he had led to
| unseat the board.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2d6e4456-8...nclick_check=1

The Secret Microsoft Invasion of Yahoo Continues: MSN GM Headed There Soon?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Dossett, a longtime Microsoft exec whose most current job has been as
| executive producer and general manager of MSN, is leaving the company,
| sources said, and is likely to land at Yahoo soon.
|
| A longtime and experienced mountain climber, Dossett (pictured here) has been
| one of the more senior digital execs at Microsoft.
|
| The reason given for Dossett’s departure from Microsoft (MSFT), announced
| internally this afternoon, was to “pursue other opportunities.”
|
| While the hire is not yet complete, that apparently means that he is likely
| going to rival and onetime Microsoft quarry Yahoo as a senior exec.
`----

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080919/...aded-to-yahoo/

Google Blames Microsoft for Yahoo! Deal Controversy

,----[ Quote ]
| Schmidt thinks that rival Microsoft is largely to blame for the amount of
| controversy the deal has attracted. "I am quite sure that Microsoft is
| helping everyone get upset about things," he said.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...al-controversy

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]
| Only if they're planting in AstroTurf
|
| [...]
|
| How do you know the organization, and the op-ed, weren't created by LawMedia
| Group at the behest of some well-funded clients? If they did their jobs
| right, you don't know.
|
| Some of them have left digital fingerprints here and there, though, says
| Declan McCullagh, in a blockbuster of a report exposing the intellectual
| whoredom offered for various important issues. Shortly after Microsoft hired
| LawMedia, for example, legislators, national agencies, and news outlets
| received pointed complaints from coalitions of farmers, rural voters, and
| geeky Latinos about how Google's advertising deal with Yahoo would wreck
| everything.
|
| [...]
|
| Don't call them a PR firm or a lobbying firm though, Law Media – which has a
| ton of lawyers working for them too—is a "public affairs firm" specializing
| in producing "remarkable coalitions" for anything one might need a coalition
| for.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...against-google

Google/Yahoo web ad deal on track despite anti-trust scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Google says its web advertising deal with Yahoo is on schedule and will not
| be derailed by US anti-trust scrutiny.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...anti-trust.htm

Icahn and Microsoft to oust Yahoo board

,----[ Quote ]
| CORPORATE RAIDER Carl Icahn and convicted monopolist Microsoft have asked
| Yahoo shareholders to vote out Yahoo's board and install Icahn's proposed
| slate of replacements.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...eam-oust-yahoo

Microsoft cops to talking with Icahn on Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Dispensing with its previous above-the-fray posture, Microsoft has
| admitted -conspiring with- talking to activist Yahoo shareholder Carl Icahn,
| who is trying to oust the Internet company's board and Chief Executive Jerry
| Yang for failing to sell out to the software giant.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...oft-talki.html

Yahoo: Icahn “Manipulates The Facts”

,----[ Quote ]