Open source software proves affordable, flexible for NIH, DoD

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten years ago, engineers at the National Institutes of Health decided to
| bundle together a bunch of regular computers in order to create a
| supercomputing capability. The result proved successful and has grown since,
| enabling scientists to run large-scale computational experiments that would
| otherwise be impossible, such as processing thousands of DNA sequences or
| running six-month-long molecular simulations to study cell processes.
`----

http://www.federaltimes.com/index.php?S=3781023

More of healthcare:

Open Source GIS for HIV/AIDS management

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source GIS software can be used to develop a system to provide
| local-level stakeholders with spatial information.
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/295876...anagement.html

Related:

Use of Open Technologies Will Change Traditional DoD Software Business

,----[ Quote ]
| The program highlights the growing influence open architecture and open
| source software has in many areas of the Department. The Navy, for example,
| is committed to open architecture to provide the ability to insert new
| component technologies into existing systems. This will provide greater
| capabilities, stimulate competition and reduce over-all program risk. These
| new component technologies often come from small, high-tech firms. Preserving
| government access to this source of innovation is vital. Mr. Nick Guertin,
| Deputy Director for Open Architecture, US Navy, will use his experience with
| open architecture to lead a panel of government and industry experts on this
| issue.
`----

http://www.prweb.com/releases/AFEI/D...web1369774.htm

Recent:Convincing the Military to Embrace Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Sixty five percent of our applications run on Linux, and over 60 percent of
| our databases leverage open source solutions. We use Linux, Apache, MySQL,
| PHP, Python and Perl (a combination of software programs known as LAMP
| stacks). Over the years, since 1994, we've easily saved more than $500,000 in
| software licenses. While the cost benefits have been substantial,
| improvements in interoperability along with quick procurement cycles and
| boosts to staff morale -- programmers really like 'owning their code' -- have
| been key driving forces. This has been the true value of LAMP and our other
| open source initiatives," Welty said.
`----

Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
Intelligence Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "When we rolled into Baghdad, we did it using open source," General
| Justice continued. "It may come as a surprise to many of you, but the
| U.S. Army is "the" single largest install base for Red Hat Linux.
| I'm their largest customer."
`----

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.r...id=17056&trv=1

Army Seeks to Catalyze Open Source Intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| A new U.S. Army Field Manual is intended to advance the development
| and use of open source intelligence (OSINT), which is intelligence
| that is derived from publicly available data legally obtained.
`----

http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2007...e_open_so.html

A Network Appliance Platform for Linux Applications at the US Department of
Defense

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. military requirements for network devices are growing more and
| more demanding, making a flexible Linux-based platform the foundation
| of choice.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

High-integrity software is key topic at 2007 Military Technologies Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Following Tokar will be Redge Bartholomew, engineering manager at Rockwell
| Collins on "Static Analysis as an Example Approach to High Integrity Open
| Source Software."
|
| [...]
|
| "Why High Integrity Software Requires Open Source Tools," is the
| presentation of the module's last speaker, Robert Dewar, president and
| chief executive officer of AdaCore.
`----

http://mae.pennnet.com/display_artic...es-Conference/

Department of Defense Releases Open Technology Development Roadmap

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article....33257&from=rss