Lack of IT knowledge begets 'lock-in'

,----[ Quote ]
| We're more around the low-40 percentage mark right now. It's a goal--I think
| we'll get there. Asia contributes 17 percent of our revenues. We feel good
| about that, and it continues to grow nicely.
|
| In Asia, there is a real public policy benefit to using open source. A lot of
| software intellectual property (IP) resides in the United States, so paying
| for IP from outside the U.S. means dollars flowing out of other countries.
| Because open source is fundamentally cheaper, there is less dollar flow.
|
| And there is also knowledge transfer when countries embrace open source.
| That's why governments in the region are getting excited about open source.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/sof...2047534,00.htm

Open source will gain during recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat's second quarter 2008 financial results released in August reported a
| 29 per cent increase in revenue over the same quarter last year.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ce-gain-during

Red Hat: Financial crunch will spur business for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Will open source software gain more business due to the current economic
| crunch? While in Australia this month, Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst appeared to
| say so. Yet open source isn't necessarily less costly at all than proprietary
| alternatives, some analysts suggest.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Red_...rce/1224547763

Recent:

Red Hat Exchange Doubles Quarterly Bookings, Boosts Zimbra and MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| The VAR Guy thought Red Hat Exchange — an online store the software company
| launched last year — would be an overnight hit. It wasn’t. But after some
| tinkering, Red Hat Exchange (RHX) seems to be taking off — and giving
| partners like MySQL and Zimbra a lift as well. In fact, the site’s bookings
| doubled in Red Hat’s most recent quarter, The VAR Guy has learned. Here’s how
| Red Hat got RHX on track.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/17/...bra-and-mysql/

Red Hat CEO: From the economic rubble, open source will emerge stronger

,----[ Quote ]
| In August Red Hat posted second quarter revenue 29 percent higher than the
| same quarter a year ago, while its subscription revenue also enjoyed
| double-digit growth to beat analysts’ estimates. Whitehurst said that while
| predictions of a recession will likely mean fewer new projects, the economic
| benefits of going open source are already encouraging proprietary customers
| to switch.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...pid;1968336438

Q&A: Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst