[News] Audio Equipment Built Using GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Audio Equipment Built Using GNU/Linux

    Indamixx sound box plays on Linux base

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hip hop artists might not be the most obvious target for Linux evangelists,
    | but a little-known distribution called Transmission is making waves. It's
    | what powers Indamixx, a pro audio production system that runs on a customised
    | Samsung handheld computer created by Trinity Audio Group. Developed by 64
    | Studio Ltd. on a mixed Debian/Ubuntu base, Transmission and its bundled
    | applications are a quintessential open source story.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The lesson for open source developers is straightforward: simple application
    | interfaces with fewer bells and knobs are easier to adapt. The open source
    | nature of this software makes 64 Studio's work possible, opening up pro audio
    | tools to platforms and audiences that would normally go straight for
    | proprietary offerings on chunkier laptops. The development process of
    | Transmission and the Indamixx -- taking in several different companies and a
    | large community of developers and musicians -- demonstrates the power of this
    | open, participatory approach. The proof may be in the Indamixx device in the
    | DJ's booth at your local club Saturday night.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/1508

    Recent:

    64 Studio Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, what do I think of 64 Studio? *On the one hand, there doesn’t seem to be
    | much of a difference on the surface between 64 Studio and just taking a
    | vanilla Debian install and installing the same packages as 64 Studio. *On the
    | other hand, there’s something to be said about a distro that already has all
    | the packages installed and that you can just hand to a technologically-minded
    | creative person and they can install it and start getting creative with free
    | software. *Minus points for not having a graphical installer and minus points
    | for having the menu bar at the bottom.
    `----

    http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/b...studio-review/

    Related:

    Press Release - 64 Studio 2.0 'Electric' released!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 64 Studio is a GNU/Linux distribution tailor-made for digital content
    | creation, including audio, video, graphics and publishing tools. A remix of
    | Debian, it comes in both AMD64/Intel64 and 32-bit flavours, to run on nearly
    | all PC hardware.
    `----

    http://64studio.com/press_release

    [64studio-devel] 64 Studio 1.1.0 is out for testing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've prepared a test 1.1.0 release, which is meant to be the first of
    | the testing releases which will lead to the next stable 2.0
    | release. If you want to stick to stable version please just use the
    | actual 1.0.0.
    `----

    http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/...ry/003004.html

    Why Vista sounds worse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    | caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    | Tim Anderson
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

    Audio in Linux is awesome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    `----

    http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    Adjust Volume of Individual Applications with PulseAudio

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PulseAudio is the new sound server that’s being included in Ubuntu 8.04 and
    | other recent Linux distros. A sound server lets changes be made to sound
    | between the applications and sound hardware layers. Among other features,
    | PulseAudio provides per-application volume controls, a plugin architecture,
    | low-latency, networking features, and good application compatibility.
    `----

    http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/0...th-pulseaudio/

  2. Re: [News] Audio Equipment Built Using GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:59:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Hip hop artists might not be the most obvious target for Linux evangelists,
    >| but a little-known distribution called Transmission is making waves. It's
    >| what powers Indamixx, a pro audio production system that runs on a customised
    >| Samsung handheld computer created by Trinity Audio Group. Developed by 64
    >| Studio Ltd. on a mixed Debian/Ubuntu base, Transmission and its bundled
    >| applications are a quintessential open source story.

    You missed one Roy:

    http://www.64studio.com/harrison_demo_in_cardiff

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb