Linux: "clearly not made for consumers" - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: "clearly not made for consumers" - Linux ; "The PicoBook uses SUSE Linux, and this was the first time I'd ever really tried using it. It is clearly not made for consumers. Hell, I'm a tech hack and I was confused by some of the options at startup. ...

  1. Linux: "clearly not made for consumers"

    "The PicoBook uses SUSE Linux, and this was the first time I'd ever really
    tried using it. It is clearly not made for consumers. Hell, I'm a tech hack
    and I was confused by some of the options at startup. Figuring out how to
    get the speakers working beyond a whisper was a pain in the proverbial.
    Finding the Wi-Fi tool was a similar experience. And the damn thing keeps
    falling asleep."

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm

    The crapware isn't fit for man or beast...

  2. Re: Linux: "clearly not made for consumers"

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:08:07 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "The PicoBook uses SUSE Linux, and this was the first time I'd ever
    > really tried using it. It is clearly not made for consumers. Hell, I'm a
    > tech hack and I was confused by some of the options at startup. Figuring
    > out how to get the speakers working beyond a whisper was a pain in the
    > proverbial. Finding the Wi-Fi tool was a similar experience. And the
    > damn thing keeps falling asleep."
    >
    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    blog/0,1000000567,10009551o-2000331761b,00.htm

    > The crapware isn't fit for man or beast...

    Further quotes from the 'review'...

    How about the hardware? Dodgy hard drive notwithstanding, I do quite like
    the screen. The speakers aren't great. The keyboard is awful, but
    arguably no more so than the keyboard on, say, the Eee 900.

    What is truly astonishing is the trackpad. It's the smallest one I've
    ever seen. I am a man of average finger size, and I am not joking when I
    say the trackpad is the size of the top half of my thumb. Ruler out...
    yep, 4cm diagonal. Wow.

    And this...

    Oh yeah, and the machine won't sit flush on a flat surface - seems to
    rock slightly, for some reason.

    It appears that Apricot didn't make the thing themselves but that it's a
    rebadged VIA.

    Is it any wonder that they can't get SUSE to behave itself when Apricot's
    quality control is this bad to start with.

    They must try harder.

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

+ Reply to Thread