XP on desktops again? - Linux

This is a discussion on XP on desktops again? - Linux ; I thought Microsoft only going to sell XP OEM licenses for low powered Notebook computers. Yet Asus is selling desktops (Asus EEE Boxes) with XP. I wonder how much further XP will creep back into the OEM mainstream? How much ...

  1. XP on desktops again?

    I thought Microsoft only going to sell XP OEM licenses for low powered
    Notebook computers. Yet Asus is selling desktops (Asus EEE Boxes) with XP.
    I wonder how much further XP will creep back into the OEM mainstream? How
    much "fudging" is Microsoft willing to do?

    Oh, BTW, WinTroll droolers -- there are going to be Asus EEE Boxes with
    Linux also.

    Sorry for the "bad" news.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: XP on desktops again?

    RonB wrote:

    > I thought Microsoft only going to sell XP OEM licenses for low powered
    > Notebook computers. Yet Asus is selling desktops (Asus EEE Boxes) with XP.
    > I wonder how much further XP will creep back into the OEM mainstream? How
    > much "fudging" is Microsoft willing to do?
    >
    > Oh, BTW, WinTroll droolers -- there are going to be Asus EEE Boxes with
    > Linux also.
    >
    > Sorry for the "bad" news.

    You know I always wondered if there was a market for DOS.

    I'm half serious.
    What if you could get WINE to launch as an application in freedos / dosemu?

  3. Re: XP on desktops again?

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:01:31 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> I thought Microsoft only going to sell XP OEM licenses for low powered
    >> Notebook computers. Yet Asus is selling desktops (Asus EEE Boxes) with
    >> XP. I wonder how much further XP will creep back into the OEM
    >> mainstream? How much "fudging" is Microsoft willing to do?
    >>
    >> Oh, BTW, WinTroll droolers -- there are going to be Asus EEE Boxes with
    >> Linux also.
    >>
    >> Sorry for the "bad" news.

    > You know I always wondered if there was a market for DOS.
    >

    > I'm half serious.
    > What if you could get WINE to launch as an application in freedos /
    > dosemu?

    There is still a version of FreePascal available for DOS, don't know how
    many people use it though. Legacy apps are still in use in the NHS. The
    various Ambulance Services still use them for job allocations and
    recording incidents.

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

  4. Re: XP on desktops again?

    On Oct 23, 12:01 am, 7 wrote:
    > RonB wrote:
    > > I thought Microsoft only going to sell XP OEM licenses for low powered
    > > Notebook computers. Yet Asus is selling desktops (Asus EEE Boxes) with XP.
    > > I wonder how much further XP will creep back into the OEM mainstream? How
    > > much "fudging" is Microsoft willing to do?

    > > Oh, BTW, WinTroll droolers -- there are going to be Asus EEE Boxes with
    > > Linux also.

    > > Sorry for the "bad" news.

    > You know I always wondered if there was a market for DOS.
    >

    > I'm half serious.
    > What if you could get WINE to launch as an application in freedos / dosemu?

    I'll refer you to Andrew Schullman's work _Unauthorized
    Windows 95_ for the rather incestuous relationship between
    Win95 and DOS; I don't know precisely how it's changed
    with Windows XP (as they're using the NT kernel) but one
    does wonder on some of the particulars. Of course DOS
    runs within WinXP well enough, as a virtual subprocess --
    much like FreeDOS within DOSBOX.

    However, to be pedantic, Wine cannot run within DOS;
    it requires, among other things, threading. I'll admit
    I do wonder how well one can fire up CMD.EXE within WinE
    and have it create a Windows console (their term for a
    terminal emulator).

    As for XP creeping back into the mainstream, that's
    obviously what the customers want, or what they think
    they want. Personally, I'm a tad annoyed that they want
    XP as opposed to Linux+X+Gnome (e.g. Ubuntu), but they're
    comfortable with XP and have used it for the better part
    of a decade now; we are suspicious of newfangled thingies.

    Better the devil they know, especially since bridle,
    saddle blanket, cinch strap, and buggy whip holder cup
    manufacturers are all campaigning for the continuance.

    :-)

+ Reply to Thread