Linux Foundation Publishes Study Estimating the Value of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF), the nonprofit organization dedicated to
| accelerating the growth of Linux, today announced it is publishing a new
| report written by Amanda McPherson, Brian Proffitt and Ron Hale-Evans on the
| value of Linux development. The paper finds that it would take approximately
| $10.8 billion to build the Linux community distribution Fedora 9 in today's
| dollars with today's software development costs. It would take $1.4 billion
| to develop the Linux kernel alone.

Linux: $10.8 billion worth of R&D...for free

,----[ Quote ]
| $10.8 billion that we don't have to spend to get an exceptionally robust
| operating system. $10.8 billion that we depend upon every day when using
| Google, Amazon, and a dizzying array of websites, as well as many of the
| applications we use within our own companies. There are countless companies
| and services enabled by this communal, multi-billion dollar investment, none
| of which you and I actually pay for.

What is a Linux distro worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a thought experiment proposed by the Linux Foundation today: If you
| had to start from scratch, what would it cost to create a Linux distribution?

Fedora 9 valued at $10.8B

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you got some loose change in your pocket, and dreams of building a
| better operating system? It would take about 25 years, nearly 60,000
| developer-years, and $10.8B to re-create a distribution like Fedora 9,
| according to a new report from the Linux Foundation.

That's more expensive than ME3 and Vista 7 combined.

Linux Ecosystem worth $25 billion

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| work to do."