I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008 - Linux

This is a discussion on I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008 - Linux ; Since Windows Server 2008 is based on the Vista codebase I openly call into question its reliability and suitability for the datacenter. WS2008 has the same DRM, activation and managed code inside that the flopped Vista release has and I ...

  1. I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    Since Windows Server 2008 is based on the Vista codebase I openly call into question its reliability and suitability for the datacenter. WS2008 has the same DRM, activation and managed code inside that the flopped Vista release has and I think it's therefore dangerous to use for mission critical tasks. There have been many Vista incidents where the operating system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal (trying to steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up. Now imagine that when you are running your business on this software, and suddenly it refuses to work because someone plugged in a device or you install a program which tries to access the underlying hardware.

    There's good reason to think that CIO's know this and that the uptake of Windows Server 2008 will be glacial compared to WS2003 (which was based on the Windows 2000 codebase). I wouldn't be surprised that we will hear about some major downtime when companies use Windows Server 2008, I've already noticed that Microsoft.com and MSDN are having much more downtime, although it seems they are remedying this by adding more servers.

  2. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    Anonymous Remailer wrote:

    > There have been many Vista incidents where the operating
    > system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal (trying to
    > steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up.

    Huh? Does Vista really do this? Can't you use torrents when you use Vista?

  3. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    On 2008-10-22, Firey Bird wrote:
    > Anonymous Remailer wrote:
    >
    >> There have been many Vista incidents where the operating
    >> system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal (trying to
    >> steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up.

    > Huh? Does Vista really do this? Can't you use torrents when you use Vista?

    No. And yes.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  4. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-22, Firey Bird wrote:
    >> Anonymous Remailer wrote:
    >>
    >>> There have been many Vista incidents where the operating
    >>> system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal (trying to
    >>> steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up.

    >> Huh? Does Vista really do this? Can't you use torrents when you use Vista?

    > No. And yes.

    We assume your answers are for the questions after "Huh?"

    (I know, I'm an assh*le!)

    (Oh, /and/ a nut:
    --
    I am NOT a nut....)

  5. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    On 2008-10-22, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Huh? Does Vista really do this? Can't you use torrents when you use Vista?

    >> No. And yes.

    > We assume your answers are for the questions after "Huh?"
    >
    > (I know, I'm an assh*le!)
    >
    > (Oh, /and/ a nut:

    It's ok... i didn't really notice the huh?

    --
    Tom Shelton

  6. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:23:05 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

    > Since Windows Server 2008 is based on the Vista codebase I openly call
    > into question its reliability and suitability for the datacenter. WS2008
    > has the same DRM, activation and managed code inside that the flopped
    > Vista release has and I think it's therefore dangerous to use for
    > mission critical tasks. There have been many Vista incidents where the
    > operating system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal
    > (trying to steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up. Now
    > imagine that when you are running your business on this software, and
    > suddenly it refuses to work because someone plugged in a device or you
    > install a program which tries to access the underlying hardware.
    >
    > There's good reason to think that CIO's know this and that the uptake of
    > Windows Server 2008 will be glacial compared to WS2003 (which was based
    > on the Windows 2000 codebase). I wouldn't be surprised that we will hear
    > about some major downtime when companies use Windows Server 2008, I've
    > already noticed that Microsoft.com and MSDN are having much more
    > downtime, although it seems they are remedying this by adding more
    > servers.

    I did not know it had been released.

  7. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:23:05 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

    > Since Windows Server 2008 is based on the Vista codebase I openly call
    > into question its reliability and suitability for the datacenter. WS2008
    > has the same DRM, activation and managed code inside that the flopped
    > Vista release has and I think it's therefore dangerous to use for
    > mission critical tasks. There have been many Vista incidents where the
    > operating system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal
    > (trying to steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up. Now
    > imagine that when you are running your business on this software, and
    > suddenly it refuses to work because someone plugged in a device or you
    > install a program which tries to access the underlying hardware.
    >
    > There's good reason to think that CIO's know this and that the uptake of
    > Windows Server 2008 will be glacial compared to WS2003 (which was based
    > on the Windows 2000 codebase). I wouldn't be surprised that we will hear
    > about some major downtime when companies use Windows Server 2008, I've
    > already noticed that Microsoft.com and MSDN are having much more
    > downtime, although it seems they are remedying this by adding more
    > servers.

    Well, at least vista knows how long a line is.

    You have some factual errors.

    For starters, Windows 2003 was not based on the 2000 code base. It was
    based on the XP code base. That's why XP SP2 and 2003 SP1 are on the same
    code base.

    Secondly, Windows server 2008 doesn't install anything DRM related by
    default, since it doesn't even have an audio subysystem or media subsystem
    by default.

    Classic case of talking out of your ass about something you have no idea
    about.

    Oh, and for your FUD:

    "There have been many Vista incidents where the operating system suddenly
    decides that you are doing something illegal (trying to steal audio and or
    video) and then completely locks up."

    That's a lie, and you know it.

  8. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    On 2008-10-23, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:

    > Classic case of talking out of your ass about something you have no idea
    > about.

    Good gravy!

    Was the irony your intention??

    > Oh, and for your FUD:

    Steeeeeerrrrrike two!

    > That's a lie, and you know it.

    You must be doing this on purpose.

    --
    My other computer is your Windows box.

  9. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:23:05 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:
    >
    >> Since Windows Server 2008 is based on the Vista codebase I openly call
    >> into question its reliability and suitability for the datacenter. WS2008
    >> has the same DRM, activation and managed code inside that the flopped
    >> Vista release has and I think it's therefore dangerous to use for
    >> mission critical tasks. There have been many Vista incidents where the
    >> operating system suddenly decides that you are doing something illegal
    >> (trying to steal audio and or video) and then completely locks up. Now
    >> imagine that when you are running your business on this software, and
    >> suddenly it refuses to work because someone plugged in a device or you
    >> install a program which tries to access the underlying hardware.
    >>
    >> There's good reason to think that CIO's know this and that the uptake of
    >> Windows Server 2008 will be glacial compared to WS2003 (which was based
    >> on the Windows 2000 codebase). I wouldn't be surprised that we will hear
    >> about some major downtime when companies use Windows Server 2008, I've
    >> already noticed that Microsoft.com and MSDN are having much more
    >> downtime, although it seems they are remedying this by adding more
    >> servers.

    > Well, at least vista knows how long a line is.
    >
    > You have some factual errors.
    >
    > For starters, Windows 2003 was not based on the 2000 code base. It was
    > based on the XP code base. That's why XP SP2 and 2003 SP1 are on the same
    > code base.
    >
    > Secondly, Windows server 2008 doesn't install anything DRM related by
    > default, since it doesn't even have an audio subysystem or media subsystem
    > by default.
    >
    > Classic case of talking out of your ass about something you have no idea
    > about.
    >
    > Oh, and for your FUD:
    >
    > "There have been many Vista incidents where the operating system suddenly
    > decides that you are doing something illegal (trying to steal audio and or
    > video) and then completely locks up."
    >
    > That's a lie, and you know it.

    They don't know what they are talking about when it comes Vista. How can
    you expect anyone here to know anything about Win 2k8?

    Idiot Linux users, and there are none like them.

  10. Re: I question the reliability of Windows Server 2008

    Verily I say unto thee, that Sinister Midget spake thusly:
    > On 2008-10-23, Erik Funkenbusch
    > claimed:

    >> Classic case of talking out of your ass about something you have no
    >> idea about.

    > Good gravy!
    >
    > Was the irony your intention??
    >
    >> Oh, and for your FUD:

    > Steeeeeerrrrrike two!
    >
    >> That's a lie, and you know it.

    > You must be doing this on purpose.

    Fuddie needs to retire, to save what's left of his dignity.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    22:22:52 up 16 days, 8:18, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00

+ Reply to Thread