[OT] Linux based VPN - Linux

This is a discussion on [OT] Linux based VPN - Linux ; Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like to setup a vpn so that he can access it with ...

  1. [OT] Linux based VPN

    Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    setup and it works really well.

    Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    windows vpn client....

    Thanks.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  2. Re: [OT] Linux based VPN

    On 2008-10-22, Tom Shelton claimed:
    > Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    > now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    > to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    > I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    > setup and it works really well.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    > me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    > this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    > windows vpn client....
    >
    > Thanks.

    Never did it. I don't recommend anything. Just some stuff I found.

    http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html

    http://www.poptop.org/

    http://www.2000trainers.com/linux/linux-vpn-server/

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7881

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO.html

    --
    Chimpanzees can point and click on a Windows UI. That's mostly who's
    doing it.

  3. Re: [OT] Linux based VPN

    Tom Shelton writes:

    > Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    > now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    > to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    > I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    > setup and it works really well.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    > me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    > this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    > windows vpn client....

    OpenSwan or racoon might be possibilities. Assuming you mean the
    standard IPSec client on Windows.

    Be prepared for lots of headaches though, as IPSec is a wonderful
    (not!) standard to implement in a multivendor setup.

    Simply setting up OpenVPN and having your friend download the Windows
    client would be easier.

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

  4. Re: Linux based VPN

    On Oct 22, 12:31 pm, Tom Shelton
    wrote:
    > Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    > now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    > to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    > I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    > setup and it works really well.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    > me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    > this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    > windows vpn client....
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Shelton

    I'd be surprised if there *is* a "standard Windows VPN client"; what
    little I can pull up suggests a popular solution is Cisco. There are
    also clients from D-Link and something called TheGreenBow.

    Good luck.

  5. Re: Linux based VPN

    On 2008-10-22, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 12:31 pm, Tom Shelton
    > wrote:
    >> Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    >> now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    >> to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    >> I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    >> setup and it works really well.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    >> me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    >> this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    >> windows vpn client....
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tom Shelton

    > I'd be surprised if there *is* a "standard Windows VPN client"; what
    > little I can pull up suggests a popular solution is Cisco. There are
    > also clients from D-Link and something called TheGreenBow.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Dude, VPN has been built into windows since at least the release of XP. You
    need to do some homework

    --
    Tom Shelton

  6. Re: [OT] Linux based VPN

    On 2008-10-22, Mart van de Wege wrote:
    > Tom Shelton writes:
    >
    >> Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    >> now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    >> to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    >> I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    >> setup and it works really well.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    >> me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    >> this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    >> windows vpn client....
    >>

    > OpenSwan or racoon might be possibilities. Assuming you mean the
    > standard IPSec client on Windows.

    Hmmm, it works great on my friends BSD box. Maybe I'll just convert that
    server to freeBSD. He's had that up and running for a number of years.

    > Be prepared for lots of headaches though, as IPSec is a wonderful
    > (not!) standard to implement in a multivendor setup.
    >
    > Simply setting up OpenVPN and having your friend download the Windows
    > client would be easier.

    I would, except this is a controled machine, and only approved software can be
    installed - openvpn is not on the list.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  7. Re: [OT] Linux based VPN

    On 2008-10-22, Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-10-22, Tom Shelton claimed:
    >> Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    >> now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    >> to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    >> I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    >> setup and it works really well.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    >> me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    >> this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    >> windows vpn client....
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Never did it. I don't recommend anything. Just some stuff I found.
    >
    > http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html
    >
    > http://www.poptop.org/
    >
    > http://www.2000trainers.com/linux/linux-vpn-server/
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7881
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO.html

    Thanks... I'll check these out.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  8. Re: Linux based VPN

    On Oct 23, 9:43*am, Tom Shelton
    wrote:
    > On 2008-10-22, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 22, 12:31 pm, Tom Shelton
    > > wrote:
    > >> Ok, here's the situation... *I have setup a subversion server here at home. *I
    > >> now need to allow access to that server to a friend. *Basically, I would like
    > >> to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    > >> I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    > >> setup and it works really well.

    > >> Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? *Google has led
    > >> me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    > >> this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    > >> windows vpn client....

    > >> Thanks.

    > >> --
    > >> Tom Shelton

    > > I'd be surprised if there *is* a "standard Windows VPN client"; what
    > > little I can pull up suggests a popular solution is Cisco. *There are
    > > also clients from D-Link and something called TheGreenBow.

    > > Good luck.

    > Dude, VPN has been built into windows since at least the release of XP. *You
    > need to do some homework
    >
    > --
    > Tom Shelton

    I believe OpenSwan can be configured to work with the built in Windows
    IPSec/L2TP support. Google for it.

  9. Re: [OT] Linux based VPN

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    > now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    > to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    > I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    > setup and it works really well.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    > me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    > this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    > windows vpn client....

    Why don't you use the web interface and authentication? VPN's a bit of
    a pain.

    I looked into it a little, reading the book, but dropped the idea
    because of other things going on and no immediate need. But this looks
    like it could be a quick configure (ignoring the complication of the
    project management software):

    http://www.howtoforge.com/subversion...-ubuntu-server

    Just a quickie, but I may follow up on it myself.

    --
    Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
    -- Bill Gates

  10. Re: [OT] Linux based VPN

    On 2008-10-22, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Ok, here's the situation... I have setup a subversion server here at home. I
    >> now need to allow access to that server to a friend. Basically, I would like
    >> to setup a vpn so that he can access it with the standard windows vpn client.
    >> I know this is possible with FreeBSD, because I have a buddy that has this
    >> setup and it works really well.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a vpn package for linux that can do this? Google has led
    >> me to openvpn, but it sounds like I have to install it on both ends, and in
    >> this case that is out of the question - the server must work with the standard
    >> windows vpn client....

    > Why don't you use the web interface and authentication? VPN's a bit of
    > a pain.

    Hmmm, that's a thought. I might look into that as well. Thanks. I was
    trying to do the vpn thing because we use TortoiseSVN normally, but the web
    interface might work as well.

    Actually, I'm installing openswan on my server right now - see if I can get
    that to work first

    --
    Tom Shelton

  11. Re: Linux based VPN

    On 2008-10-22, Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 9:43*am, Tom Shelton
    > wrote:
    >> On 2008-10-22, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >> > I'd be surprised if there *is* a "standard Windows VPN client"; what
    >> > little I can pull up suggests a popular solution is Cisco. *There are
    >> > also clients from D-Link and something called TheGreenBow.

    >> > Good luck.

    >> Dude, VPN has been built into windows since at least the release of XP. *You
    >> need to do some homework
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tom Shelton

    > I believe OpenSwan can be configured to work with the built in Windows
    > IPSec/L2TP support. Google for it.

    I'm installing openswan right now. Thanks.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  12. Re: Linux based VPN

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-22, Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
    >>
    >> I believe OpenSwan can be configured to work with the built in Windows
    >> IPSec/L2TP support. Google for it.

    > I'm installing openswan right now. Thanks.

    And they say ya never learn anything helpful in COLA!

    --
    You have a will that can be influenced by all with whom you come in contact.

+ Reply to Thread