Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook - Linux ; http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279, with the XP version costing 329. There is now only an XP option, priced ...

  1. Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm

    "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux
    version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279, with the XP
    version costing 329. There is now only an XP option, priced at 299."

    "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive for
    the netbook. "

    Linux too unintuitive for people?
    Nahhhh.
    Say it isn't true.

    Another one bites the dust.

    Who will be next to dump Linux?

    Dell?
    HP?

    Place your bets.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:42:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm

    > "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux
    > version of the device. This was to have been priced at £279, with the XP
    > version costing £329. There is now only an XP option, priced at £299."
    >
    > "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    > Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive
    > for the netbook. "
    >
    > Linux too unintuitive for people?
    > Nahhhh.
    > Say it isn't true.

    OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally brainwashed
    by MS.

    > Another one bites the dust.
    >
    > Who will be next to dump Linux?
    >
    > Dell?
    > HP?
    >
    > Place your bets.

  3. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On 22 Oct 2008 18:44:32 GMT, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:42:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    > blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm
    >>
    >> "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux
    >> version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279, with the XP
    >> version costing 329. There is now only an XP option, priced at 299."
    >>
    >> "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    >> Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive
    >> for the netbook. "
    >>
    >> Linux too unintuitive for people?
    >> Nahhhh.
    >> Say it isn't true.

    > OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally brainwashed
    > by MS.

    Tinfoil hat on too tight again Ray?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  4. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:42:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    > blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm
    >>
    >> "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux
    >> version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279, with the XP
    >> version costing 329. There is now only an XP option, priced at 299."
    >>
    >> "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    >> Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive
    >> for the netbook. "

    > OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally brainwashed
    > by MS.

    http://blog.laptopmag.com/asus-ceo-r...amily-products

    Q. We have heard that return rates have been higher for Linux-based
    netbooks. Can you share information on sales of the Linux Eee PCs
    versus Windows XP versions? What about return rates overall for Eee
    PC netbooks?

    A. I think the return rate for the Eee PCs are low but I believe the
    Linux and Windows have similar return rates. We really separate the
    products into different user groups. A lot of users like the Windows
    XP, but in Europe a lot of people want the Linux option. Actually in
    Linux we support the Easy Mode and in Q4 of this year we are going to
    start selling Windows XP with an Easy Mode.

    I thought the headlines were blaring this failure of Linux (so much so
    that googling for "Linux netbook" comes up with all those headlines
    instead of places selling the things.

    XP with an Easy Mode? I thought that crap was supposed to be easy
    already?

    Q. What is the purpose of the Windows XP Easy Mode?

    A. The Easy Mode on Windows XP is very similar to the one on the Xandros
    operating system. For the novice and for the person who doesn't
    know how to use the computer, Easy Mode is better. We provide this
    option on Windows XP if people want a simple interface, but they can
    also use the full operating system.

    Oh. My. God. Xandros. Easier. Than. XP.

    All quipping aside, the article mentions some other stuff of interest.

    --
    Hope not, lest ye be disappointed.
    -- M. Horner

  5. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:05:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:42:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    >> blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm
    >>>
    >>> "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux
    >>> version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279, with the XP
    >>> version costing 329. There is now only an XP option, priced at 299."
    >>>
    >>> "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    >>> Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive
    >>> for the netbook. "

    >> OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally brainwashed
    >> by MS.

    Moving the goal posts again LiarMutt?

    Nice try.

    Maybe Roy will give you a doggy drop!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > I thought the headlines were blaring this failure of Linux (so much so
    > that googling for "Linux netbook" comes up with all those headlines
    > instead of places selling the things.

    Target is apparently sold out of the original model (except with an 8 GB
    solid state disk drive instead of 2 Gigs). But you can still order one, if
    you're willing to wait two to six weeks to get it. So I guess some folks
    still want the Linux models -- even here in the U.S.

    http://tinyurl.com/5k325a

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Who will be next to dump Linux?

    Wrong question.

    Correct question: who will be next to dump Apricot?

    As usual, Moshe gets it wrong.

  8. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:42:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    > > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    > blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm
    > >
    > > "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the Linux
    > > version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279, with theXP
    > > version costing 329. There is now only an XP option, priced at 299."
    > >
    > > "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    > > Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive
    > > for the netbook. "
    > >
    > > Linux too unintuitive for people?
    > > Nahhhh.
    > > Say it isn't true.

    > OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally brainwashed
    > by MS.

    The blogger (David Meyer) opines about various things about what
    Apricot should have done (one of them making the netbook with
    an idiot-proof dashboard, for example -- good luck with that notion,
    as idiots are very ingenious in their own way) but the fact is that
    Apricot
    decreased its price from 329 to 299 pounds on the XP version, and
    totally eliminated the Linux one, if his blogging is accurate --
    Google
    is being reticent again, though I did find

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...2-009-35-NW-RL

    which is basically a repackaging of David Meyer's blogpost, and

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10...linux_netbook/

    which is little more than announcement of the fact.
    It states that a "company missive" says

    "Apricot will not be selling with Linux variants"

    (Their decision, our loss, but there are other solutions
    still available AFAIK)

    and that

    "Apricot has made this decision to ensure customers have a smooth
    installation
    of their operating system."

    (Huh? It's preinstalled.)

    and

    "Apricot believes that (the XP-only Picobook) will be a more
    attractive
    product offering for their target customers, because as soon as it
    is
    switched on, it is ready for use."

    (Double huh? Wasn't "instant-on" the whole point of the Eee??)

    Oh well. Back to Dave.

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm

    is also from David Meyer, and one wonders as to what was damaged
    dropping
    it to the ground (anyone else remember "stiction" on hard drives? I
    do :-) ), but
    I guess it worked for him.

    He also opines there that

    The PicoBook uses SUSE Linux, and this was the first time I'd ever
    really
    tried using it. It is clearly not made for consumers. Hell, I'm a
    tech hack
    and I was confused by some of the options at startup. Figuring out
    how
    to get the speakers working beyond a whisper was a pain in the
    proverbial.
    Finding the Wi-Fi tool was a similar experience. And the damn
    thing keeps
    falling asleep.

    Clearly he had troubles with it.

    (If I'm *really* in a pedantic mood I might note that most people
    will have troubles with Linux if they don't have extra stuff such
    as a bootloader, libc, include files, a working compiler, etc. etc.
    But I digress.)

    > > Another one bites the dust.
    > >
    > > Who will be next to dump Linux?
    > >
    > > Dell?
    > > HP?

    AFAIK, HP does not offer Linux desktops.
    Servers and workstations, yes, but not desktops.

    However, Google did find

    http://apcmag.com/hp_launches_redhat...desktop_pc.htm

    for those of you somewhere near a billabong down under. ;-)
    (And near a time machine, as the article is over a year old.
    I don't know if Doctor Who has relatives in Australia.)

    The dx2250 overview page, which I was able to find
    using search (HP has some gnarly URLs) does try to offer
    preconfigured models for Windows, FreeDOS, and
    Windows Vista (uhm...OK); apparently this is an older
    model and the page has some problems, but all models
    on this website are preloaded by XP or Vista.

    Sad mess, this.

    > > Place your bets.

  9. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:43:00 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Who will be next to dump Linux?

    > Wrong question.
    >
    > Correct question: who will be next to dump Apricot?
    >
    > As usual, Moshe gets it wrong.

    No I get it right.
    Hey, it's not my fault you guys can't deal with real market data/experience
    rather than your "pie in the sky" approach to Linux.

    Why is it that you Linux loons are always blaming someone else for Linux's
    failure on the desktop?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:48:02 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On 22 Oct 2008 18:44:32 GMT, ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:42:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/

    >> blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm
    >>>
    >>> "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the
    >>> Linux version of the device. This was to have been priced at £279,
    >>> with the XP version costing £329. There is now only an XP option,
    >>> priced at £299."
    >>>
    >>> "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    >>> Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too unintuitive
    >>> for the netbook. "
    >>>
    >>> Linux too unintuitive for people?
    >>> Nahhhh.
    >>> Say it isn't true.

    >> OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally
    >> brainwashed by MS.

    > Tinfoil hat on too tight again Ray?

    No. Mine's fine - how's yours? I have maintained for some time, and still
    do, that Linux is no more difficult to use than MS - it's just a little
    different. And a lot of folks who are stuck on MS are basically afraid to
    even try anything else.

    >>> Another one bites the dust.
    >>>
    >>> Who will be next to dump Linux?
    >>>
    >>> Dell?
    >>> HP?
    >>>
    >>> Place your bets.

  11. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On 22 Oct 2008 22:19:01 GMT, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:48:02 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> blog/0,1000000567,10009572o-2000331761b,00.htm

    >>> OK - it isn't true. It's only an issue if you've been totally
    >>> brainwashed by MS.

    >> Tinfoil hat on too tight again Ray?

    > No. Mine's fine - how's yours? I have maintained for some time, and still
    > do, that Linux is no more difficult to use than MS - it's just a little
    > different. And a lot of folks who are stuck on MS are basically afraid to
    > even try anything else.

    I agree with that however you will be hard pressed to find a pre loaded
    Linux system that the masses are interested in.

    Also, you have the "how do I interact with the Windows world" factor which
    makes it even more confused.

    -
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm
    >
    > "A representative told me today that they have decided to dump the
    > Linux version of the device. This was to have been priced at 279,
    > with the XP version costing 329. There is now only an XP option,
    > priced at 299."
    >
    > "As referenced in the above link, SUSE Linux was a massive fail on the
    > Apricot PicoBook Pro. In its natural state, the OS was too
    > unintuitive for the netbook. "
    >
    > Linux too unintuitive for people?
    > Nahhhh.
    > Say it isn't true.

    "The PicoBook uses SUSE Linux, and this was the first time I'd ever really
    tried using it. It is clearly not made for consumers. Hell, I'm a tech hack
    and I was confused by some of the options at startup. Figuring out how to
    get the speakers working beyond a whisper was a pain in the proverbial.
    Finding the Wi-Fi tool was a similar experience. And the damn thing keeps
    falling asleep."
    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm

    "Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the world's
    most usable Linux." http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    Scary.

  13. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:43:00 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Who will be next to dump Linux?

    >> Wrong question.
    >>
    >> Correct question: who will be next to dump Apricot?
    >>
    >> As usual, Moshe gets it wrong.

    > No I get it right.
    > Hey, it's not my fault you guys can't deal with real market data/experience
    > rather than your "pie in the sky" approach to Linux.
    >
    > Why is it that you Linux loons are always blaming someone else for Linux's
    > failure on the desktop?

    If what you say is true howcome your fear of linux drives you to spend
    so much time trolling cola?

  14. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:33:59 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Wrong question.
    >>>
    >>> Correct question: who will be next to dump Apricot?
    >>>
    >>> As usual, Moshe gets it wrong.

    >> No I get it right.
    >> Hey, it's not my fault you guys can't deal with real market data/experience
    >> rather than your "pie in the sky" approach to Linux.
    >>
    >> Why is it that you Linux loons are always blaming someone else for Linux's
    >> failure on the desktop?

    > If what you say is true howcome your fear of linux drives you to spend
    > so much time trolling cola?

    Why is it the wintrolls blame Linux for *their own* ineptness in
    installing it?

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  15. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:28:29 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On 22 Oct 2008 22:19:01 GMT, ray wrote:

    >>> Tinfoil hat on too tight again Ray?

    >> No. Mine's fine - how's yours? I have maintained for some time, and
    >> still do, that Linux is no more difficult to use than MS - it's just a
    >> little different. And a lot of folks who are stuck on MS are basically
    >> afraid to even try anything else.

    > I agree with that however you will be hard pressed to find a pre loaded
    > Linux system that the masses are interested in.
    >
    > Also, you have the "how do I interact with the Windows world" factor
    > which makes it even more confused.

    What the hell does that mean? I "interact with the Windows world" all the
    time.

    > -
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of Linux
    > Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    > Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:33:59 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Wrong question.
    >>>
    >>> Correct question: who will be next to dump Apricot?
    >>>
    >>> As usual, Moshe gets it wrong.

    >> No I get it right.
    >> Hey, it's not my fault you guys can't deal with real market data/experience
    >> rather than your "pie in the sky" approach to Linux.
    >>
    >> Why is it that you Linux loons are always blaming someone else for Linux's
    >> failure on the desktop?

    > If what you say is true howcome your fear of linux drives you to spend
    > so much time trolling cola?

    I don't fear Linux.
    Never have and never will.

    I'm a free spirit and if Windows and Microsoft would disappear tomorrow I
    would use what I have and my next purchase would be a Mac.

    That's the difference between actual users and religious zealots.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: Linux a Massive Failure on the Netbook

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:33:59 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> No I get it right.
    >>> Hey, it's not my fault you guys can't deal with real market data/experience
    >>> rather than your "pie in the sky" approach to Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Why is it that you Linux loons are always blaming someone else for Linux's
    >>> failure on the desktop?

    >> If what you say is true howcome your fear of linux drives you to spend
    >> so much time trolling cola?

    > I don't fear Linux.
    > Never have and never will.
    >
    > I'm a free spirit and if Windows and Microsoft would disappear tomorrow I
    > would use what I have and my next purchase would be a Mac.
    >
    > That's the difference between actual users and religious zealots.

    You didn't answer the question. You sort of sidestepped it.

+ Reply to Thread