Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!! - Linux ; This is either hilarious or frightening, I can't decide which... http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/1...nounces-1.html -- The years have been very kind to me. It's the weekends that have done all the damage!...

  1. Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    --
    The years have been very kind to me.

    It's the weekends that have done all the damage!

  2. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    SomeBloke writes:

    > This is either hilarious or frightening, I can't decide which...

    I can. Neither.

    "Click through for our exclusive leaked ad covering the 20 separate
    editions of Windows 7, straight from our anonymous sauce"

    > http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/1...nounces-1.html

    --
    "BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!"

  3. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:53:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > SomeBloke writes:
    >
    >> This is either hilarious or frightening, I can't decide which...

    > I can. Neither.
    >
    > "Click through for our exclusive leaked ad covering the 20 separate
    > editions of Windows 7, straight from our anonymous sauce"
    >

    >> http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/1...nounces-1.html

    Sounds like the guy is pulling a Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

  5. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:45:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ SomeBloke on Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:46 : \____
    >

    >> This is either hilarious or frightening, I can't decide which...
    >>
    >> http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/1...nounces-1.html

    > it should be called "Vista 7" to remind people that it's just a Vista service
    > pack (ask Ballmer). Same problems, same ugly EULA (if not worse)...

    I would suspect that Microsoft wants to lose the Vista name real fast.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:45:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ SomeBloke on Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:46 : \____
    >

    >> This is either hilarious or frightening, I can't decide which...
    >>
    >> http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/1...nounces-1.html

    > it should be called "Vista 7" to remind people that it's just a Vista
    > service pack (ask Ballmer). Same problems, same ugly EULA (if not
    > worse)...
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes

    By the time it's released (escapes?) it will probably inform the
    purchaser that it needs a lot more powerful hardware than the average
    user is willing to spend, even after upgrading to a quad-core CPU, 8Gb of
    Ram and a graphics card with a terrabyte of graphics ram.

    Green computing is not on the MS agenda. No surprise there.

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

  7. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

  8. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:39:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ SomeBloke on Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:28 : \____
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:45:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> ____/ SomeBloke on Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:46 : \____

    >>> it should be called "Vista 7" to remind people that it's just a Vista
    >>> service pack (ask Ballmer). Same problems, same ugly EULA (if not
    >>> worse)...
    >>>
    >>> - --
    >>> ~~ Best of wishes
    >>>

    >> By the time it's released (escapes?) it will probably inform the
    >> purchaser that it needs a lot more powerful hardware than the average
    >> user is willing to spend, even after upgrading to a quad-core CPU, 8Gb
    >> of Ram and a graphics card with a terrabyte of graphics ram.
    >>
    >> Green computing is not on the MS agenda. No surprise there.

    > I'm not sure if they even *have* an agenda. It's a very short-term one
    > if one exists because they lack direction (and they know it!). They are
    > losing in servers, their desktop market share erodes and they lose
    > billions in Entertainment and Web.
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes

    The problem with companies in Microsoft's increasingly uncomfortable
    position is that they tend to lash out wildly, even blindly at real or
    perceived enemies.
    Ballmer is a predictable loose cannon, inasmuch as he will obsessively
    spend a lot of cash to attack anyone or any company that he judges is
    threatening Microsofts market share. GNU/Linux is difficult to attack in
    this regard because of its widely scattered structure.
    The patent threat can only affect the average user if Microsoft reveal
    which patents the GNU/Linux kernel is 'infringing'. On past evidence this
    is not likely to happen, Ballmer knows he is on to a loser there.
    Europe, on the whole, disregards the patent issue in spite of McCreevy.
    If the majority of European GNU/Linux users have the same attitude to
    patents as me then they will continue to use GNU/Linux regardless.

    I find this whole thing a real shame. Microsoft undoubtedly started out
    as a company with good intentions. They have become increasingly control
    orientated, so much that it has put off people like myself who get their
    living from supporting Windows users. I am cynical about the whole
    Partner programme, it appears to exist solely to spread propaganda. A
    sense of reality blowing through Microsofts corridors would do the whole
    computer industry some real good. Whether this will happen I sadly doubt.

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

  9. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:28:45 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Green computing is not on the MS agenda. No surprise there.

    Speaking of green computing, I went to buy an hdisk the other day and saw
    these Western Digital "Green Drives"...

    Anyone know what this is?

    I suspect, but don't know for sure, that this would be terrible for digital
    audio or video much like power saving schemes are.

    Anyone know what these things are?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:39:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ SomeBloke on Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:28 : \____
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:45:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> ____/ SomeBloke on Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:46 : \____

    >>> it should be called "Vista 7" to remind people that it's just a Vista
    >>> service pack (ask Ballmer). Same problems, same ugly EULA (if not
    >>> worse)...
    >>>
    >>> - --
    >>> ~~ Best of wishes
    >>>

    >> By the time it's released (escapes?) it will probably inform the
    >> purchaser that it needs a lot more powerful hardware than the average
    >> user is willing to spend, even after upgrading to a quad-core CPU, 8Gb of
    >> Ram and a graphics card with a terrabyte of graphics ram.
    >>
    >> Green computing is not on the MS agenda. No surprise there.

    > I'm not sure if they even *have* an agenda. It's a very short-term one if one
    > exists because they lack direction (and they know it!). They are losing in
    > servers, their desktop market share erodes and they lose billions in
    > Entertainment and Web.

    All companies have an agenda and generally a well organized and thought out
    agenda.

    Quite unlike the Linux OSS world where it's like a ball of confusion or a
    marching band where everyone is playing a different song.

    That being said :

    American companies in general think quarterly profits which is unlike
    Japanese companies which think and plan long term.

    I once interviewed with a Japanese firm, many years ago, and this
    philosophy was explained to me in detail.
    They in fact pride themselves on it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:27:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:28:45 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:
    >

    >> Green computing is not on the MS agenda. No surprise there.

    > Speaking of green computing, I went to buy an hdisk the other day and
    > saw these Western Digital "Green Drives"...
    >
    > Anyone know what this is?
    >
    > I suspect, but don't know for sure, that this would be terrible for
    > digital audio or video much like power saving schemes are.
    >
    > Anyone know what these things are?

    They spin at a lower speed and have a lower power consumption.
    Performance as you would expect suffers as a result of the spin speed.

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

  12. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:47:59 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:27:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:28:45 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:
    >>

    >>> Green computing is not on the MS agenda. No surprise there.

    >> Speaking of green computing, I went to buy an hdisk the other day and
    >> saw these Western Digital "Green Drives"...
    >>
    >> Anyone know what this is?
    >>
    >> I suspect, but don't know for sure, that this would be terrible for
    >> digital audio or video much like power saving schemes are.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what these things are?

    > They spin at a lower speed and have a lower power consumption.
    > Performance as you would expect suffers as a result of the spin speed.

    Thanks!
    I kinda figured it was something like that.
    I appreciate the advice!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:51:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:47:59 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:

    >>> Speaking of green computing, I went to buy an hdisk the other day and
    >>> saw these Western Digital "Green Drives"...
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what this is?
    >>>
    >>> I suspect, but don't know for sure, that this would be terrible for
    >>> digital audio or video much like power saving schemes are.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what these things are?

    >> They spin at a lower speed and have a lower power consumption.
    >> Performance as you would expect suffers as a result of the spin speed.

    > Thanks!
    > I kinda figured it was something like that. I appreciate the advice!

    You're welcome.

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

  14. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, SomeBloke belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:39:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I find this whole thing a real shame. Microsoft undoubtedly started out
    > as a company with good intentions. They have become increasingly control
    > orientated, so much that it has put off people like myself who get their
    > living from supporting Windows users. I am cynical about the whole
    > Partner programme, it appears to exist solely to spread propaganda. A
    > sense of reality blowing through Microsofts corridors would do the whole
    > computer industry some real good. Whether this will happen I sadly doubt.

    Microsoft is a religious organization similar to Scientology, except
    they make software products and have a far more pervasive presence in
    our lives and in the market.

    --
    if (cb) ((cb->obj)->*(cb->ui_func))();
    tausq: who the HELL wrote that ?

  15. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    Hadron wrote:

    > I can. Neither.

    But you're a humorless churl, so that's not surprising.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ...."And we had to chisel taglines into the walls of the cave...."

  16. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On 2008-10-22, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:

    > Microsoft is a religious organization similar to Scientology, except
    > they make software products and have a far more pervasive presence in
    > our lives and in the market.

    How *dare* you impugn the Scientologist cult that way!

    --
    If Bill Gates had a penny for every time a Windows box
    crashed....Oh, wait a minute, he already does.

  17. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tattoo Vampire belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I can. Neither.

    > But you're a humorless churl, so that's not surprising.

    Maybe he can come visit me in Churlston some day!

    Some people /still/ have their panties in a wad over Bill Clinton here.

    --
    MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

  18. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >> I appreciate the advice!

    Why do you ignore advice to seek mental-health treatment? You may
    find-out that there's better things in life than being a ridiculous
    lying troll in the newgroups.

    "People pay for Windows while Linux is free. Something must be wrong
    with Linux."

    "People pay for MSO while OO is free. Something must be wrong with
    OO."

    "People pay for Windows while Linux is free. Something must be wrong
    with Linux."

    "People pay for MSO while OO is free. Something must be wrong with
    OO."

    "People pay for Windows while Linux is free. Something must be wrong
    with Linux."

    "People pay for MSO while OO is free. Something must be wrong with
    OO."

    "People pay for Windows while Linux is free. Something must be wrong
    with Linux."

    "People pay for MSO while OO is free. Something must be wrong with
    OO."

    (Repeat a thousand times.)

    Fsckwit.

  19. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:40:57 +0000, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that SomeBloke spake thusly:
    >
    >> I find this whole thing a real shame. Microsoft undoubtedly started
    >> out as a company with good intentions.

    > [Choke!!!]
    >
    > "Good intentions"?
    >
    > Microsoft "started out" as a Harvard student dumpster-diving for
    > operating system code (today that would be considered "IP" violation).
    >
    > They then progressed to lying to IBM about having an OS they could use,
    > when in fact Microsoft had yet to purchase it from Patterson, who in
    > turn had stolen it from Kildall (CP/M).
    >
    > They then took their GUI from the Apple Lisa, initially with permission,
    > but subsequently they just copied and plagiarised everything from Apple
    > with wild abandon (and absolute impunity, it seems).
    >
    > Microsoft then embarked upon a campaign of destruction and pillaging
    > worthy of Atilla the Hun, using every dirty trick in the book to further
    > their megalomaniacal obsessions, as they "knifed the baby"; "cut off
    > [companies'] air supply"; "tilted [products] into the death spiral"; and
    > fundamentally conducted their business like a bunch of gangsters running
    > a racketeering operation, leaving the corpses of their victims littering
    > the road to their "success".
    >
    > Yeah ... Microsoft had "good intentions".
    >
    > "Good" for /them/, certainly.

    Do you drink?
    You should......

    FWIW you are wound up tighter than a wind up alarm clock....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  20. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 now!!!!

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:40:57 +0000, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that SomeBloke spake thusly:
    >
    >> I find this whole thing a real shame. Microsoft undoubtedly started out
    >> as a company with good intentions.

    > [Choke!!!]
    >
    > "Good intentions"?
    >
    > Microsoft "started out" as a Harvard student dumpster-diving for
    > operating system code (today that would be considered "IP" violation).
    >
    > They then progressed to lying to IBM about having an OS they could use,
    > when in fact Microsoft had yet to purchase it from Patterson, who in
    > turn had stolen it from Kildall (CP/M).
    >
    > They then took their GUI from the Apple Lisa, initially with permission,
    > but subsequently they just copied and plagiarised everything from Apple
    > with wild abandon (and absolute impunity, it seems).
    >
    > Microsoft then embarked upon a campaign of destruction and pillaging
    > worthy of Atilla the Hun, using every dirty trick in the book to further
    > their megalomaniacal obsessions, as they "knifed the baby"; "cut off
    > [companies'] air supply"; "tilted [products] into the death spiral"; and
    > fundamentally conducted their business like a bunch of gangsters running
    > a racketeering operation, leaving the corpses of their victims littering
    > the road to their "success".
    >
    > Yeah ... Microsoft had "good intentions".
    >
    > "Good" for /them/, certainly.

    Homer, this is a classic KEEPER!!!

    What an excellent summary of Microsoft !

    Terry