Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success' - Linux

This is a discussion on Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success' - Linux ; Apple taunts it, businesses won't touch it, and even Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) no longer mentions it by name in ads. Yet Windows Vista, according to Steve Ballmer, has been such a smashing success that Microsoft is unlikely to match it ...

  1. Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    Apple taunts it, businesses won't touch it, and even Microsoft (NSDQ:
    MSFT) no longer mentions it by name in ads. Yet Windows Vista,
    according to Steve Ballmer, has been such a smashing success that
    Microsoft is unlikely to match it anytime soon.

    Said Ballmer, at an industry confab in Brazil last week: "We're not
    going to have products that are much more successful than Vista has
    been."

    Say what? Hang on a sec, would you please, Dear Reader.

    Thanks -- I'm back. I just had to go dump a few thousand Microsoft
    shares. [Disclosure: I don't really own Microsoft shares, but if I
    did ...]

    Ballmer's statement is utterly bizarre, given industry backlash
    against Vista during its short, unhappy life. Complaints over the OS's
    hardware requirements, application incompatibilities, and intrusive
    security measures abound.

    The majority of large businesses and government agencies in the United
    States, including Maine's IT department, will likely skip Vista
    entirely and proceed directly to Windows 7 from Windows XP. And a
    survey released earlier this month by the United Kingdom's Corporate
    IT Forum showed that only 4% of businesses in that country are using
    Vista, which has now been on the market for almost two years.

    So, 4% corporate adoption in two years -- now that's what I call
    success! ....

    That's scary, and doesn't exactly raise expectations for Windows 7,
    does it?

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...r_microso.html

  2. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    wrote in message

    > The majority of large businesses and government agencies in the United
    > States, including Maine's IT department, will likely skip Vista
    > entirely and proceed directly to Windows 7 from Windows XP.

    Mirablile dictu! But so what?

    First off, the article reads like an exaggeration where it takes "the
    majority of large businesses and government agencies in the United States"
    and punctuates the claim with "Maine's IT department" for effect. Much more
    effective would be to name some US Government agency or even some other
    state's IT department, but the author presumably only had the one arrow in
    his quiver.

    And the result, "proceed directly to Windows 7 from Windows XP", is hardly
    anthing for Microsoft to fear. The whole think is just wishful thinking on
    the part of the Microsoft haters who have nothing real to cheer about so
    that they have to invent such castles in the air.

  3. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

  4. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Apple taunts it, businesses won't touch it, and even Microsoft (NSDQ:
    > MSFT) no longer mentions it by name in ads. Yet Windows Vista,
    > according to Steve Ballmer, has been such a smashing success that
    > Microsoft is unlikely to match it anytime soon.
    >
    > Said Ballmer, at an industry confab in Brazil last week: "We're not
    > going to have products that are much more successful than Vista has
    > been."
    >

    > So, 4% corporate adoption in two years -- now that's what I call
    > success! ....
    >
    > That's scary, and doesn't exactly raise expectations for Windows 7,
    > does it?
    >

    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...r_microso.html

    /Now/ I know who DFS /really/ is. He's Steve Ballmer!!!!

    It is all clear now!

    --
    Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is cheval, and everything else
    follows in the same way.

  5. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Microsoft is down sharply today (-5.5%). Same yesterday... the report is coming
    > tomorrow and since the previous two disappointed, expect more of the same.

    It's too jiggly over a time-window of a few days to say much about
    the very near future.

    --
    Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
    avoiding you.

  6. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:sFKLk.52068$Ep1.51474@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Microsoft is down sharply today (-5.5%). Same yesterday... the report is
    >> coming
    >> tomorrow and since the previous two disappointed, expect more of the
    >> same.

    > It's too jiggly over a time-window of a few days to say much about
    > the very near future.

    Well these are not such happy times in the market in general, eh? For 6
    months, Mr. Softee is down some 25%, but Red Hat is down even more. It
    hardly has anything to do with people's perceptions of an OS platform. Do
    you suppose Mr. Schestowitz actually believes his tripe?

  7. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    On 2008-10-22, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:

    > Apple taunts it, businesses won't touch it, and even Microsoft (NSDQ:
    > MSFT) no longer mentions it by name in ads. Yet Windows Vista,
    > according to Steve Ballmer, has been such a smashing success that
    > Microsoft is unlikely to match it anytime soon.
    >
    > Said Ballmer, at an industry confab in Brazil last week: "We're not
    > going to have products that are much more successful than Vista has
    > been."
    >
    > Say what? Hang on a sec, would you please, Dear Reader.
    >
    > Thanks -- I'm back. I just had to go dump a few thousand Microsoft
    > shares. [Disclosure: I don't really own Microsoft shares, but if I
    > did ...]
    >
    > Ballmer's statement is utterly bizarre, given industry backlash
    > against Vista during its short, unhappy life. Complaints over the OS's
    > hardware requirements, application incompatibilities, and intrusive
    > security measures abound.
    >
    > The majority of large businesses and government agencies in the United
    > States, including Maine's IT department, will likely skip Vista
    > entirely and proceed directly to Windows 7 from Windows XP. And a
    > survey released earlier this month by the United Kingdom's Corporate
    > IT Forum showed that only 4% of businesses in that country are using
    > Vista, which has now been on the market for almost two years.
    >
    > So, 4% corporate adoption in two years -- now that's what I call
    > success! ....
    >
    > That's scary, and doesn't exactly raise expectations for Windows 7,
    > does it?
    >

    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...r_microso.html

    During the war between Iran and Iraq back in the 80s, they both claimed
    to have blown up so much of each other's stuff that nothing could have
    possibly survived. In fact, each of them claimed so much damage
    inflicted on the other that both would have had to more than double
    their military to suffer such destruction. Yet, just a few short years
    later, Iraq invaded Kuwait and took it over.

    Then there was the retard spokesperson during the last US invasion of
    Iraq that announced no US military personnel were anywhere near Baghdad
    at the same time troops were rolling through the streets.

    Fester seems to be trying to cement his place in the disinformation
    world along with such stellar performers as those. But his claims are
    such a stretch that he will probably be one of the most-cited dimbulbs
    when someone wants to point to the records of various dimbulbs in
    history.

    --
    Are you scared of speed? Then try Windows.

  8. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    On Oct 22, 11:41 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > ____/ ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 22 October 2008 16:42 : \____
    >

    > > Apple taunts it, businesses won't touch it, and even Microsoft (NSDQ:
    > > MSFT) no longer mentions it by name in ads. Yet Windows Vista,
    > > according to Steve Ballmer, has been such a smashing success that
    > > Microsoft is unlikely to match it anytime soon.

    > > Said Ballmer, at an industry confab in Brazil last week: "We're not
    > > going to have products that are much more successful than Vista has
    > > been."

    > > Say what? Hang on a sec, would you please, Dear Reader.

    > > Thanks -- I'm back. I just had to go dump a few thousand Microsoft
    > > shares. [Disclosure: I don't really own Microsoft shares, but if I
    > > did ...]

    > Microsoft is down sharply today (-5.5%). Same yesterday... the report is coming
    > tomorrow and since the previous two disappointed, expect more of the same.

    [.sigsnip]

    http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^DJI&MSFT

    might be of some use over periods longer than 5 days (the last few
    days
    have been ridiculously volatile -- the market equivalent of arrhythmia
    or too much gain leading to feedback in the "market circuit", if such
    an analogy makes much sense, perhaps).

    1M period: MSFT -6% or so, DJI -18%
    3M: MSFT -9%, DJI -22%
    6M: MSFT -23%, DJI -28%
    YTD: MSFT -34%, DJI -32%
    1Y: MSFT -21%, DJI -32%
    2Y: MSFT -18%, DJI -25%
    5Y: MSFT -11%, DJI -6%

    AFAICT, MSFT has consistently outperformed the market in the
    last 2 years or so, and the market is *not* doing well at the moment.

  9. Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:23:37 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:sFKLk.52068$Ep1.51474@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft is down sharply today (-5.5%). Same yesterday... the report is
    >>> coming
    >>> tomorrow and since the previous two disappointed, expect more of the
    >>> same.

    >> It's too jiggly over a time-window of a few days to say much about
    >> the very near future.
    >>

    > Well these are not such happy times in the market in general, eh? For 6
    > months, Mr. Softee is down some 25%, but Red Hat is down even more. It
    > hardly has anything to do with people's perceptions of an OS platform. Do
    > you suppose Mr. Schestowitz actually believes his tripe?

    At one time I didn't,
    But now, I think Roy Schestowitz has totally and completely gone off the
    rails or normalcy and is destined for true loony land.
    He will shortly be joining Mark S. Bilk in the universe where they believe
    the 9-11 attacks were orchestrated by the US govt.

    These are your hardcore loony toons.
    Roy is just about to cross over the line into "their world".

    Doo doo doo doo,,,, doo doo doo doo.. (Twilight Zone theme song)
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread