[News] [Rival] Even Microsoft MVPs Hate Vista, Escape Microsoft Windows - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Even Microsoft MVPs Hate Vista, Escape Microsoft Windows

    Chris Pirillo Vista Rant (Windows Suck)

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k2JJZMhFaG0

    Recent:

    Chris Pirillo Makes "the Switch"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chris Pirillo makes the switch to a Mac Pro for his Main Desktop Machine
    | Ditching Vista.
    `----

    http://digg.com/apple/Chris_Pirillo_Makes_the_Switch

    Related:

    Leave Windows Vista Alone, Chris Crocker!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'm tired of people making fun of Windows Vista and saying it's no good.
    `----

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vje5LVSJYQI

    Windows Vista Complaints Department

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the risk of sounding even more negative about the entire Windows Vista
    | situation, I have a steady stream of disgruntled users venting in my inbox.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | More to the point, this is the future of your desktop experience - in a
    | platform-neutral environment. All I need now is a pre-built, fully-stocked
    | Linux VM (with Compiz Fusion)...
    `----

    http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/08/14/...ts-department/

    Vista's UI is Better Than This!?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Watch and drool. By the way, you can try this on your own PC right now!
    | I'm not yet sure how to unlock every one of these visual effects, but
    | damn - XGL is impressive...
    `----

    http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/06/...ter-than-this/

    Vista Will Double Apple's Market Share

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Remember how you felt when you saw "The Phantom Menace" for the first time?
    | I was overwhelmingly disappointed. That's exactly how Windows Vista RC1
    | makes *me feel, and that's not very likely to change between now and when
    | the OS goes gold. Before now, there wasn't a viable "Google" or "Firefox"
    | for the Windows platform. Between Apple's Boot Camp and Parallels, you're
    | going to have to make a strong argument to keep people from finally
    | making the switch. And you wanna know the worst part of this
    | entire situation?
    |
    | Microsoft, in each and every instance, has been its own worst enemy.
    `----

    http://www.computerpoweruser.com/edi...7F6F42970E2A2C
    http://tinyurl.com/ya7x59

    Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
    | Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
    | after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. *
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

    Former Windows Developer Trashes Windows Vista, Gets Slapped, Falls Back in
    Line

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Alec Saunders, a former Senior Product Manager at Microsoft Canada, had a
    | bone to pick with Windows Vista. *
    `----

    http://soft-vn.net/windows/former-wi...348-11536.aspx

    Vista backlash grows; key advocate moves back to XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chris Pirillo just broke up with Windows Vista, saying, "The shipping
    | version of this OS is late beta, at best."
    |
    | Jason Busch did the same: "It's an absolute travesty that
    | Microsoft would have released such a half-baked product."
    `----

    http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/03/06...es-back-to-xp/
    http://tinyurl.com/2ldrbe

    An Open Letter To Jim Allchin (from Chris Pirillo)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jim,
    |
    | Congratulations! Seriously. I'm glad that you finally got Windows
    | Vista out the door, but I'm equally as thrilled to know that you're
    | working on releasing SP1 by the end of this year.
    `----

    http://blendout.blogspot.com/2007/03...rom-chris.html

    Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
    | headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
    | the next 10 years.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
    | Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
    | our century and they will get more and more people that know what
    | they really want.
    `----

    http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007...-10-years.html

    Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
    | what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
    | system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
    | problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
    | heart. Jim"
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

    Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
    | operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
    | internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
    | also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
    | has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
    `----

    http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computi...forms/R7G5G6U4

    As Microsoft looks ahead, will Vista be the end of an era?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Once installed in the post, Mr Ozzie wrote an internal company
    | memo that mapped out the challenges that face Microsoft. The
    | message was clear: get Google, get with the internet and wean
    | Microsoft off Windows as we know it.
    |
    | "Through Google's focus they?ve gained a tremendously strong
    | position," he said. "[Microsoft] must respond quickly and decisively
    | . . . It's clear that if we fail to do so, our business as we know
    | it is at risk."
    `----

    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...494732,00.html

    Why Vista might be the last of its kind

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Imagine this. One of the world's most powerful monopolies puts 10,000
    | people to work for five years to create one new product. And nobody
    | is really sure if anyone wants it. How's that for a gamble?
    |
    | That's what we have with Windows Vista, the new computer-operating
    | system from Microsoft that debuted last week for businesses and,
    | next month, for consumers.
    `----

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._btview04.html

    Vista: Microsoft's Last 'Big Bang' Operating System?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yet for all the design missteps, overly ambitious plans, and
    | personnel changes that led to a five-year lag between versions
    | of Windows, questions about the future of Microsoft's software
    | are top of mind for customers and partners. Ballmer swears to
    | never let as much time elapse between Windows versions; the
    | question now is how the company can keep churning out
    | innovative products on a compressed timetable.
    `----

    http://newz.byethost31.com/Microsoft...ing_system.htm

    Is Vista the End of Windows as We Know It?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The five-year long march to developing Windows Vista exposed just how
    | broken Microsoft's Windows-development process is. It took far too
    | long, major features were dropped along the way, and it was wrapped up
    | in more red tape than the IRS. That's why I think that Vista will be the
    | last of the "big-bang" Windows releases.
    `----

    http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/bl...indows_as.html

    Life After Vista: Can Microsoft Retool for Web?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a similar tug of war in the late 1990s, one internal faction
    | lobbied to use Microsoft's Internet browser software to radically
    | retool Windows for the Internet. But that faction lost out to a
    | more PC-centric view of the Windows mission -- an outcome that some
    | Microsoft insiders say is one reason the company fell behind in the
    | Internet services Google and others now lead.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/public/article...63-K0zAOblcMz_...
    http://tinyurl.com/yjngqj

    Windows Vista the last of its kind

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista will be the last version of Windows that exists in its current,
    | monolithic form, according to Gartner.
    |
    | Instead, the research firm predicts, Microsoft will be forced to
    | migrate Windows to a modular architecture tied together through
    | hardware-supported virtualisation. "The current, integrated architecture
    | of Microsoft Windows is unsustainable - for enterprises and for
    | Microsoft," wrote Gartner analysts Brian Gammage, Michael Silver and
    | David Mitchell Smith.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=6718

    An Alternative To Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chris, I fully sympathize with your frustration with Windows. I have
    | felt this way about Microsoft since the mid-nineties. I heartily
    | suggest you go to linspire.com and test Linspire and its CNR...
    `----

    http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/win...ve-to-windows/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Even Microsoft MVPs Hate Vista, Escape MicrosoftWindows

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Even Microsoft MVPs Hate Vista, Escape Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:20:03 +0100, Tony Manco wrote:

    > Haha, awesome :-)
    > - --
    > Firefox 3.0.3 .::. Thunderbird: 2.0.0.17.::. Ubuntu 8.04

    Some dork who never figured out how to use ipconfig?
    Not even funny....

    Now THIS is funny....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gvw73U_VpU

    "While you're compiling your programs, mine simply work"...

    Classic!!!

    I'll admit they need a good does of AutoTune, but then again so does Cher
    and Madonna.

    It doesn't run under Linux BTW.....

    It's also quite expensive which eliminates most cheapsakate Linux users who
    think they should get everything for free.

    http://www.antarestech.com/products/index.shtml

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [Rival] Even Microsoft MVPs Hate Vista, Escape Microsoft Windows

    On Oct 22, 2:30 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:20:03 +0100, Tony Manco wrote:
    > > Haha, awesome :-)
    > > - --
    > > Firefox 3.0.3 .::. Thunderbird: 2.0.0.17.::. Ubuntu 8.04

    > Some dork who never figured out how to use ipconfig?
    > Not even funny....
    >
    > Now THIS is funny....
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gvw73U_VpU
    >
    > "While you're compiling your programs, mine simply work"...
    >
    > Classic!!!

    Indeed. Windows has many advantages.

    [1] Linux is multiplatform, and each platform is
    a little different. Windows is monoplatform (x86)
    and all programs run on all variants of Windows, for
    the most part, without recompiling. Just download
    the binary, doubleclick, and go; convenience.

    [2] Linux supports multiple GUI types, from
    the relatively archaic and ancient twm on raw X
    to the modern KDE and Gnome variants,
    with some Motif on the side and variants such as
    Beryl/Compiz. Windows has exactly one GUI, which
    mutates on occasion of course but all applications are
    required to use it, and it is of course always available.

    [3] Linux supports multiple scenarios, from the
    headless stick server (aka "Ichabod Crane") to the
    decked-out multimonitor. Windows always requires
    a keyboard, monitor and mouse. Windows is therefore
    easier to administer, and far more comfortable to
    use, as one can always depend on that keyboard, monitor,
    and mouse being there.

    [4] Linux distros are supported by hundreds of
    companies, organizations, or individuals. Windows
    has the huge advantage of just one stop to shop,
    namely Microsoft, One Microsoft Way,
    Redmond, WA 98052-6399, and all of its
    sales offices, from Afghanistan to Vietnam
    (apparently they've not quite got to Zimbabwe
    yet, though they do have an office in New Zealand;
    presumably they're working on it).

    [5] Linux has a large number of preinstalled
    text editors, from the relatively limited (graphically
    speaking) vi and emacs to offerings such as OpenOffice
    oowriter, kate, and Scribus. Microsoft Windows only
    has one text editor, Microsoft Word -- or maybe
    Write/Wordpad.

    [6] Linux has at least a half-dozen browsers, which
    confuses things. Microsoft has exactly one browser,
    which confuses itself. Erm, I mean, it unifies
    the user's web browsing experience. Sorry, I mean,
    the internet exploration experience. Uh...let's just
    move on, 'K? ;-)

    [7] Linux has little or no antivirus software; the
    reasons are many. Third-parties have oodles
    of anti-malware and anti-virus solutions for
    Windows. Windows is therefore better protected.

    [8] And last but certainly not least, Linux is advocated
    by a large but disparate group of people, each which his
    or her own vision of things, whereas Windows is sold by
    Microsoft, with one unified goal: to ensure the most
    uniform computing experience possible.

    Microsoft. Where did you want to be led today?

    [rest snipped]

+ Reply to Thread