Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day - Linux ; This is to catch Windows users like Flatfish, who doesn't actually pay for his copies of Windows but steals copies from his work under the cloud of a 'corporate license'. It's true tho, if you use Windows, you're probably a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    This is to catch Windows users like Flatfish, who doesn't actually pay
    for his copies of Windows but steals copies from his work under the cloud
    of a 'corporate license'.

    It's true tho, if you use Windows, you're probably a pirate according
    to Microsoft.

    "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    I note that in Australia, Anti Piracy Day nabbed 5 individuals or
    business selling unlicensed copies of XP.

    All were selling XP, not ONE was selling Vista !!!!

    My webserver stats showing that XP is nearly 4 times more popular than
    Vista do seem to be vindicated.

    Windows XP 64429 56.8 %
    Windows Vista 17842 15.7 %

    My webserver also shows that Linux is almost as popular as Vista :-
    Linux 17100 15 %

    I think that from now on, COLA will require all Wintrolls to post with
    their Windows license number in their sig, so we can forward them in bulk
    to Microsoft, who can then assist the Wintroll should their copy of
    Windows turn out to be non genuine?

    With more than 33% of Windows software being pirated, they could well be
    at risk!

  2. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:19:58 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    What is an "unlicensed PC"? If it's a PC sold without an proprietary
    operating system, then it may be running a GNU/Linux or BSD operating
    system and there is no "piracy".

  3. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    Terry Porter writes:

    > This is to catch Windows users like Flatfish, who doesn't actually pay
    > for his copies of Windows but steals copies from his work under the cloud
    > of a 'corporate license'.
    >
    > It's true tho, if you use Windows, you're probably a pirate according
    > to Microsoft.
    >
    > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    Wow! You really are thick as two short planks. That statistic means you
    are probably NOT a pirate.

    > I note that in Australia, Anti Piracy Day nabbed 5 individuals or
    > business selling unlicensed copies of XP.
    >
    > All were selling XP, not ONE was selling Vista !!!!
    >
    > My webserver stats showing that XP is nearly 4 times more popular than
    > Vista do seem to be vindicated.
    >
    > Windows XP 64429 56.8 %
    > Windows Vista 17842 15.7 %

    So suddenly webstats mean something? On a web site dedicated to Linux
    solutions? God you're dim!

    > My webserver also shows that Linux is almost as popular as Vista :-
    > Linux 17100 15 %

    See previous reply.

    > I think that from now on, COLA will require all Wintrolls to post with
    > their Windows license number in their sig, so we can forward them in bulk
    > to Microsoft, who can then assist the Wintroll should their copy of
    > Windows turn out to be non genuine?
    >
    > With more than 33% of Windows software being pirated, they could well be
    > at risk!

    33% of 95% or more of the Market is a lot. But 66% of 95% is even more.

    Tell me, do you work at being so dense or does it come naturally?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_****witt

    --
    "Well stop covering your monitor in spunk over it then and piss off to
    a pro windows group. The more you tantrum here, the more obvious it is

  4. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    Terry Porter wrote:

    No wonder the other Linux-Pimps tossed roses at this Linux-Pimp's feet.
    He keeps the doctored Linux-Pimps books of statistics. His server this
    and his server that what a bunch of crock and BS.

  5. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:19:58 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    I wonder if they're counting valid licences used in a way that may or may
    not infringe their EULA (like running it in a Virtual Machine).

  6. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    Hadron wrote:
    >> My webserver stats showing that XP is nearly 4 times more popular than
    >> Vista do seem to be vindicated.
    >>
    >> Windows XP 64429 56.8 %
    >> Windows Vista 17842 15.7 %

    > So suddenly webstats mean something? On a web site dedicated to Linux
    > solutions? God you're dim!

    ROTFLMAO!

  7. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>> My webserver stats showing that XP is nearly 4 times more popular
    >>> than Vista do seem to be vindicated.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP 64429 56.8 %
    >>> Windows Vista 17842 15.7 %

    >> So suddenly webstats mean something? On a web site dedicated to Linux
    >> solutions? God you're dim!

    > ROTFLMAO!

    Why are you on the floor? You should get off the floor, because you look
    stupid. You can mop and wax the floor, but you shouldn't lay down on it.

  8. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Tennent belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:19:58 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    > > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    > What is an "unlicensed PC"? If it's a PC sold without an proprietary
    > operating system, then it may be running a GNU/Linux or BSD operating
    > system and there is no "piracy".

    What an important little word is "or"!

    > > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    --
    A chicken is an egg's way of producing more eggs.

  9. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Phil Da Lick! belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>> My webserver stats showing that XP is nearly 4 times more popular than
    >>> Vista do seem to be vindicated.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP 64429 56.8 %
    >>> Windows Vista 17842 15.7 %

    >> So suddenly webstats mean something? On a web site dedicated to Linux
    >> solutions? God you're dim!

    > ROTFLMAO!

    Yeah, I thought these guys claim that "the proportions are always
    meaningful".

    --
    HOGAN'S HEROES DRINKING GAME --
    Take a shot every time:
    -- Sergeant Schultz says, "I knoooooowww nooooothing!"
    -- General Burkhalter or Major Hochstetter intimidate/insult Colonel Klink.
    -- Colonel Klink falls for Colonel Hogan's flattery.
    -- One of the prisoners sneaks out of camp (one shot for each prisoner to go).
    -- Colonel Klink snaps to attention after answering the phone (two shots
    if it's one of our heroes on the other end).
    -- One of the Germans is threatened with being sent to the Russian front.
    -- Corporal Newkirk calls up a German in his phoney German accent, and
    tricks him (two shots if it's Colonel Klink).
    -- Hogan has a romantic interlude with a beautiful girl from the underground.
    -- Colonel Klink relates how he's never had an escape from Stalag 13.
    -- Sergeant Schultz gives up a secret (two shots if he's bribed with food).
    -- The prisoners listen to the Germans' conversation by a hidden transmitter.
    -- Sergeant Schultz "captures" one of the prisoners after an escape.
    -- Lebeau pronounces "colonel" as "cuh-loh-`nell".
    -- Carter builds some kind of device (two shots if it's not explosive).
    -- Lebeau wears his apron.
    -- Hogan says "We've got no choice" when someone claims that the plan is
    impossible.
    -- The prisoners capture an important German, and sneak him out the tunnel.

  10. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    news:8oadnSSJVpVTEGPVnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > This is to catch Windows users like Flatfish, who doesn't actually pay
    > for his copies of Windows but steals copies from his work under the cloud
    > of a 'corporate license'.
    >
    > It's true tho, if you use Windows, you're probably a pirate according
    > to Microsoft.
    >
    > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    One side effect of this is to suggest that Windows is actually more popular
    than statistics show. Windows has some 90+% of the official, paid-for
    market, but if Windows piracy is so prevalent, they might have a lot more of
    the actual user base. The Linux fans use the "stealth" claim to propose
    that Linux has much more popularity than shipping figures show, but that may
    be wishful thinking if such a high level of Windows piracy is actually
    present.

    > I note that in Australia, Anti Piracy Day nabbed 5 individuals or
    > business selling unlicensed copies of XP.
    >
    > All were selling XP, not ONE was selling Vista !!!!

    Vista has more exacting hardware requirements than XP and that would
    strongly suggest that those who are interested in more modern PC would
    naturally not buy an ersatz copy of XP and would obtain Vista at no
    additional charge bundled with their hardware purchase as is the norm.
    Those who purchased, say, a Linux-based low end machine, such as the Asus or
    eee mini notebooks might see a cheap XP as a way to upgrade their purchases,
    however. That makes the most sense.

    > My webserver stats showing that XP is nearly 4 times more popular than
    > Vista do seem to be vindicated.
    >
    > Windows XP 64429 56.8 %
    > Windows Vista 17842 15.7 %
    >
    > My webserver also shows that Linux is almost as popular as Vista :-
    > Linux 17100 15 %

    You have a website? Is it Linux oriented? That may explain the more than
    15 times higher Linux use there.

    > I think that from now on, COLA will require all Wintrolls to post with
    > their Windows license number in their sig, so we can forward them in bulk
    > to Microsoft, who can then assist the Wintroll should their copy of
    > Windows turn out to be non genuine?
    >
    > With more than 33% of Windows software being pirated, they could well be
    > at risk!

    At risk for what? Microsoft has never prosecuted an individual for such
    things. I suspect they turn a blind eye to the practice. Those who dabble
    in ersatz copies as a business excepted, of course, but it is not Microsoft
    that does the prosecution in any case. The BSA which includes most
    commercial software vendors of any size, is the agent that is pursuing the
    commercial piracy situation.
    > --
    > Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997

  11. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    Bob Tennent wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:19:58 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    > > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    >What is an "unlicensed PC"? If it's a PC sold without an proprietary
    >operating system, then it may be running a GNU/Linux or BSD operating
    >system and there is no "piracy".

    You obviously have not been indoctrinated in M$-think. Time for you
    to be reeducated, brother.

    --
    "Like I said, this attitude is only valid when there is a common
    enemy. If Microsoft goes away, the big guys will turn on each other."

  12. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:07:53 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    >> For another thing, most corporate license agreements do allow for an
    >> employee to use most of the products off the premises on the provision
    >> that it is contributing to the corporate's interests. That is a
    >> difficult thing to argue as to whether an individual's mixed use of the
    >> privilege represents piracy.

    > Only the Flatfish would throw that one in, in order to explain why he
    > never pays for Windows software.

    I realize selling $40.00 LinkSys routers to clients is big for you Terry,
    however, when you consult for a company, your contract SHOULD specify that
    said company provides you with legal copies of the software that the
    company uses so that you are well equipped to do your job.

    This almost always includes Windows in some form or another.

    The only qualification, or rider to the contract if you will, is if you
    cease to do business with said company, you are NOT entitled to use the
    aforementioned software.

    Is that clear?
    I hope so.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:07:53 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:13:14 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    >> news:Jbedna39GYJJsGLVnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d@netspace.net .au...

    >>> That would be the "official paid for Windows paid-for market" ...
    >>>

    >> No, it would be the measured market for PCs shipped worldwide which
    >> includes Wintel, Lintel, and Apple machines an others that have no OS at
    >> all.

    > Nice spin. Microsoft is a convicted monopolist and have sought to close
    > every supply channel for alternative OS's.
    >
    > If it's a business channel of any consequence, it's Windows.

    >>> They might. It may also be a Microsoft fantasy because those that won't
    >>> pay (like you Flatfish) probably wouldn't use Windows if they couldn't
    >>> get a pirated/corporate version. Or maybe they would, but we probably
    >>> won't ever know for sure.
    >>>

    >> Are you really convinced that anyone and everyone who believes anything
    >> in opposition to your thoughts is the same person?

    > What an odd question on COLA ??
    >

    >> That is a sure sign
    >> of a pananoia that needs some treatment.

    > Sure sounds like the Flatfish, same reversion to pretending this isn't
    > COLA, with its small group of Wintrolls all operating under many fake ids.
    >
    > If you're so worried about my paranoia, just start posting with your real
    > name ?

    Try Bill Weisgerber.

    If you don't know who that is, google "Bill Weisgerber" and you will see
    that he has done his shill service for MS for years, always in the
    same *extremely* dishonest way.

    --
    The universe exploded out of nothingness 14 billion years ago.
    14 billion years later, & some of us have 100 trillion

  14. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On 2008-10-22, Terry Porter claimed:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:13:14 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    >> For another thing, most corporate license agreements do allow for an
    >> employee to use most of the products off the premises on the provision
    >> that it is contributing to the corporate's interests. That is a
    >> difficult thing to argue as to whether an individual's mixed use of the
    >> privilege represents piracy.

    > Only the Flatfish would throw that one in, in order to explain why he
    > never pays for Windows software.

    If bilge wants proof that Flatso is a thief, let's take Flatfart's word
    for it. S/H/It bragged about buying Mandrake, making copies, which
    s/h/it bragged about giving to 5 other people, and taking it back for a
    refund. Flatass pretended doing things like that is OK, and tried
    defending it by claiming it was crappy and didn't work. I guess that's
    why s/h/it gave it to 5 friends.

    OK, the "thief" label clearly applies. Is there any doubt about whether
    the same vermin might pirate Windwoes as well?

    Well, let's take Flat****'s word for that, too. S/H/It claimed the
    corporate version of XP s/h/it was using was given to s/h/it for a
    project s/h/it did for some company. OK so far. But s/h/it also said
    quite clearly that the project was finished at the time s/h/it was
    making said claim.

    I wonder if ambiguous_nonsensicus sees any questions of clearcut
    licensing violations there.

    --
    "Windows Vista performance", on the next "In Search Of".

  15. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > Nice spin. Microsoft is a convicted monopolist and have sought to
    > close every supply channel for alternative OS's.
    >
    > If it's a business channel of any consequence, it's Windows.

    Except for Dell, and HP, and Lenovo, and Asus, of course.

    Face facts, lamer: businesses refuse to even consider Linux crapware for
    their desktops. Who can blame them?

    > If you're so worried about my paranoia, just start posting with your
    > real name ?

    Why? What does someone's name have to do with anything?

    >> I seriously doubt that such a
    >> percentage of Windows itself is pirated or counterfeited. Very few
    >> PCs sold in the world are from the small makers who take a chance on
    >> counterfeit OS.

    > Then speak to Microsoft, they said that over 33% of Windows users are
    > using pirated software, not me.

    And they also said only 2.1% of the 270 million system scanned by their
    Malicious Software Removal Tool had malware on them.

    >> The vast majority are shipped by the major OEMs who
    >> gladly pay Microsoft for the platform software that they include with
    >> their bundled systems.

    > "Gladly", hahahahahahahah!
    >
    > I doubt it. Microsoft OEMs are locked into paying per pc,

    How would you know anything about the terms of contracts between OEMs and
    Microsoft?

    > they can;t
    > include Linux for instance as an alternative,

    OEMs can do what they want, subject to the terms of whatever legal
    agreements they have with MS.

    > because it won't be any
    > cheaper due to this "Microsoft tax".
    >
    > How conveniently you ignore the real facts.

    How conveniently you concoct bogus "facts". That's what lying cola idiots
    do when they have no real knowledge.

    >> There is simply not much need to pirate Windows
    >> in that circumstance.

    > Again, Microsoft claim these figures, but a Wintroll knows better ?

    MS claims 2% malware infection rate.
    cola idiots claim 50%.

    > These same people will steal software that is inferior, to the
    > software that Linux users get for Free.

    Which software is that? I never heard of any - not one single app.

    > Well good for you, everyone but you hates Vista.

    And the many purchasers on www.newegg.com, who give it ~80% Good to
    Excellent ratings.

    > I don't have to. This is COLA and it's just my opinions and
    > observations, versus your Wintroll FUD.

    In other words, you're a cola Linux "advocate*" whose word is worth exactly
    nothing.

    > Asus will sell 10 million Eeepcs this year. over here in Australia,

    The hell they will. That's 50% of Australia's entire population.

    What silly exaggerating morons you cola lusers are. You wacks take a
    reasonable number and triple or quadruple it and post it to cola and expect
    the other non-thinking Linux "advocates*" to believe it.

    > Everyone is jumping on the Netbook bandwaggon, and that market is
    > responsible for a whole vibrant computer market.
    >
    > In the meantime, the old clunker laptops all running dual core and
    > 2Gb ram along with 1 hr battery life are languishing on the shelves
    > unsold.

    More idiocy.

    > Tell that to Erik Funkenbusch ?
    > His recent posts of woe on COLA regarding a failed Linux business
    > experiment due to a total lack of knowledge and planning falls into
    > that category.

    The Linux crapware failed on Erik, of course. Like it *always* does.

    > The same Google with over 100,000 servers ALL RUNNING LINUX ?

    They have a lot more than 100,000 Linux servers.

    > Microsoft are enabling the Black Screen of death for common mom and
    > dad sixpack pirates in China, and just like pirates everywhere, they
    > don't like it!

    Lie.

    > One day, MS may turn on that facility in Australia or the USA, which
    > will probably be the day you finally start using Linux full time.

    Yeah, that day is just around the corner, same as it was 10 years ago...

    > .. http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsSt...px?story=87315 ..
    > Chinese Internet users have expressed fury at Microsoft's launch of an
    > anti-piracy tool targeting Chinese computer users to ensure they buy
    > genuine software.
    >
    > The "Windows Genuine Advantage" programme, which turns the user's
    > screen black if the installed software fails a validation test, is
    > Microsoft's latest weapon in its war on piracy in China, where the
    > vast majority of 200 million computer users are believed to be using
    > counterfeit software, unwittingly or not.
    >
    > "Why is Microsoft automatically connected with my computer? The
    > computer is mine!" one angry blogger wrote on popular Chinese web
    > portal Sina.com. "Microsoft has no right to control my hardware
    > without my agreement."
    >
    > Another blogger railed over the cost of authorised versions.
    >
    > "If the price of genuine software was lower than the fake one, who
    > would buy the fake one?" he wrote.
    >
    > A visitor to a Beijing internet cafe said Microsoft was violating
    > people's rights.
    >
    > "If, when I'm programming, the computer screen goes black, that will
    > probably cause some important information to be lost," he said. "Who
    > will pay me for my loss then?"
    >
    > Dong Zhengwei, 35, a Beijing lawyer, described Microsoft as the
    > "biggest hacker in China with its intrusion into users' computer
    > systems without their agreement or any judicial authority", the China
    > Daily said.
    >
    > "Microsoft's measure will cause serious functional damage to users'
    > computers and, according to China's criminal law, the company can
    > stand accused of breaching and hacking into computer systems," he was
    > quoted as saying.
    > .................................................. .......................

    > Nonsense. The Microsoft financial downslide started about years ago.
    > About 3 years ago MS failed to increase it's growth for the first time
    > ever, meaning they were unable to manipulate the stats for the first
    > time.

    Another dumbass statement. Go ahead and prove one word of it.

    > There is something about seeing value in pirated software, that I
    > myself just don't see. However I use only Linux so I see things very
    > differently.

    Yawn... another Linux-using Microsoft-hater. You bozos are as common as a
    frozen Ubuntu system.

    >> "Business Software Alliance (BSA) is a nonprofit trade association
    >> created to advance the goals of the software industry and its
    >> hardware partners. It is the foremost organization dedicated to
    >> promoting a safe and legal digital world. Headquartered in
    >> Washington, DC, BSA is active in more than 80 countries, with
    >> dedicated staff in 11 offices around the globe: Brussels, London,
    >> Munich, Beijing, Delhi, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, Tokyo,
    >> Singapore, and São Paulo. BSA members include Adobe, Apple,
    >> Autodesk, Avid, Bentley Systems, Borland, CA, Cadence Design
    >> Systems, Cisco Systems, CNC Software/Mastercam, Corel, Cyberlink,
    >> Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corporation, Dell, EMC, HP, IBM, Intel,
    >> McAfee, Microsoft, Monotype Imaging, PTC, Quark, Quest Software,
    >> SAP, Siemens, Sybase, Symantec, Synopsys, and The MathWorks. "
    >>
    >> Do you actually believe that these companies would cooperate with
    >> Microsoft in something beneficial only to Microsoft? Would Adobe?
    >> Would Apple? Would IBM? Would Intuit? Silly boy!

    > That would be a bit like believing that Microsoft would have the
    > power to *bribe* a (previously respected) world standards body to go
    > against their academic membership and approve OOXML as a standard,
    > wouldn't it ?

    Prove it, fool.

  16. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:58:56 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Nice spin. Microsoft is a convicted monopolist and have sought to
    >> close every supply channel for alternative OS's.
    >>
    >> If it's a business channel of any consequence, it's Windows.

    > Except for Dell, and HP, and Lenovo, and Asus, of course.
    >
    > Face facts, lamer: businesses refuse to even consider Linux crapware for
    > their desktops. Who can blame them?

    All the above have tried Linux selling Linux desktop systems, except Asus,
    and it has been a miserable failure.
    So now they are trying again.

    Time will tell.

    >> If you're so worried about my paranoia, just start posting with your
    >> real name ?

    > Why? What does someone's name have to do with anything?

    Only in COLA.

    >>> I seriously doubt that such a
    >>> percentage of Windows itself is pirated or counterfeited. Very few
    >>> PCs sold in the world are from the small makers who take a chance on
    >>> counterfeit OS.

    >> Then speak to Microsoft, they said that over 33% of Windows users are
    >> using pirated software, not me.

    > And they also said only 2.1% of the 270 million system scanned by their
    > Malicious Software Removal Tool had malware on them.

    For a Linux advocacy group, they sure seem to be mentioning Windows quite a
    lot.

    >>> The vast majority are shipped by the major OEMs who
    >>> gladly pay Microsoft for the platform software that they include with
    >>> their bundled systems.

    >> "Gladly", hahahahahahahah!
    >>
    >> I doubt it. Microsoft OEMs are locked into paying per pc,

    > How would you know anything about the terms of contracts between OEMs and
    > Microsoft?

    He doesn't.
    Roy does and he talks to Roy.
    Hahaha!

    >> they can;t
    >> include Linux for instance as an alternative,

    > OEMs can do what they want, subject to the terms of whatever legal
    > agreements they have with MS.

    Like any other business.

    >> because it won't be any
    >> cheaper due to this "Microsoft tax".
    >>
    >> How conveniently you ignore the real facts.

    > How conveniently you concoct bogus "facts". That's what lying cola idiots
    > do when they have no real knowledge.

    Which is a good 90 percent of the time.

    >>> There is simply not much need to pirate Windows
    >>> in that circumstance.

    >> Again, Microsoft claim these figures, but a Wintroll knows better ?

    > MS claims 2% malware infection rate.
    > cola idiots claim 50%.

    It figures.
    They also claim Linux audio is great despite the developers admitting it's
    a clusterfsck.

    >> These same people will steal software that is inferior, to the
    >> software that Linux users get for Free.

    > Which software is that? I never heard of any - not one single app.

    If people are stealing software and going through the hassles of piracy
    rather than using free Linux, then something is seriously wrong with Linux.

    >> Well good for you, everyone but you hates Vista.

    > And the many purchasers on www.newegg.com, who give it ~80% Good to
    > Excellent ratings.

    Seems to work fine on my daughter's Gateway notebook.

    >> I don't have to. This is COLA and it's just my opinions and
    >> observations, versus your Wintroll FUD.

    > In other words, you're a cola Linux "advocate*" whose word is worth exactly
    > nothing.

    There are no Linux *advocates* in COLA.
    Only Microsoft haters.

    >> Asus will sell 10 million Eeepcs this year. over here in Australia,

    > The hell they will. That's 50% of Australia's entire population.

    > What silly exaggerating morons you cola lusers are. You wacks take a
    > reasonable number and triple or quadruple it and post it to cola and expect
    > the other non-thinking Linux "advocates*" to believe it.

    He must be getting his numbers from 7 !

    >> Everyone is jumping on the Netbook bandwaggon, and that market is
    >> responsible for a whole vibrant computer market.
    >>
    >> In the meantime, the old clunker laptops all running dual core and
    >> 2Gb ram along with 1 hr battery life are languishing on the shelves
    >> unsold.

    > More idiocy.

    You couldn't get near the computer department at the beginning of the
    school year in any of the stores near where I live.
    It was mass hysteria.

    >> Tell that to Erik Funkenbusch ?
    >> His recent posts of woe on COLA regarding a failed Linux business
    >> experiment due to a total lack of knowledge and planning falls into
    >> that category.

    > The Linux crapware failed on Erik, of course. Like it *always* does.

    Blame the person instead of the OS.
    It's a classic Linux loon tactic.

    >> The same Google with over 100,000 servers ALL RUNNING LINUX ?

    > They have a lot more than 100,000 Linux servers.

    I often wonder how they manage them?
    With that many servers, just the MTBF of the hardware has to be biting
    them.

    >> Microsoft are enabling the Black Screen of death for common mom and
    >> dad sixpack pirates in China, and just like pirates everywhere, they
    >> don't like it!

    > Lie.

    So let them use the Govt sponsored "Red Flag Linux", complete with back
    doors and who knows what sending all your information to the govt.

    The truth is people buy Linux systems and wipe Linux and install pirated
    Windows.

    >> One day, MS may turn on that facility in Australia or the USA, which
    >> will probably be the day you finally start using Linux full time.

    > Yeah, that day is just around the corner, same as it was 10 years ago...

    Is this the year of desktop Linux?

    >> There is something about seeing value in pirated software, that I
    >> myself just don't see. However I use only Linux so I see things very
    >> differently.

    > Yawn... another Linux-using Microsoft-hater. You bozos are as common as a
    > frozen Ubuntu system.

    They should be asking themselves the question that when people are willing
    to jump through hoops to run pirated software rather than Linux, what is
    wrong with Linux?

    That's the real question to be asked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:46:00 +0000, Bob Tennent wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:19:58 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    > > "Microsoft estimates that globally, more than one-third of PCs are
    > > unlicensed or contain pirated or counterfeit software"

    > What is an "unlicensed PC"? If it's a PC sold without an proprietary
    > operating system, then it may be running a GNU/Linux or BSD operating
    > system and there is no "piracy".

    I didn't catch that. Good call!

  18. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:25:01 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:07:53 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >

    >>> For another thing, most corporate license agreements do allow for an
    >>> employee to use most of the products off the premises on the provision
    >>> that it is contributing to the corporate's interests. That is a
    >>> difficult thing to argue as to whether an individual's mixed use of
    >>> the privilege represents piracy.

    >> Only the Flatfish would throw that one in, in order to explain why he
    >> never pays for Windows software.

    > I realize selling $40.00 LinkSys routers to clients is big for you
    > Terry,

    Too much Windows Kool Aid for you Flatfish. your grip on reality is even
    weaker than in 2001 when I was last posting on COLA.

    > however, when you consult for a company, your contract SHOULD
    > specify that said company provides you with legal copies of the software
    > that the company uses so that you are well equipped to do your job.

    As a Windows user, this concerns you, not me. I don;t subcontract for
    anyone that uses Windows.

    I have no such onerous license obligations regarding the Linux using
    companies I do remote Linux admin for.

    WTG FLOSS!!!

    > This almost always includes Windows in some form or another.

    Windows doesn't concern me in my business. I never have to deal with it.
    Here you see my standard reply to Windows users, who are usually quite
    clueless, asking for free Windows admin from me.

    .................. client email ...................
    > Thanks Terry,

    > Could you please advise how to set the laptop to static IP. Using vista.

    Sadly no, I just haven't used Windows since 1979 and Windows 95. I'm a
    Unix person. You'll have to seek advice from a Windows user/admin.
    .................................................. .

    > The only qualification, or rider to the contract if you will, is if you
    > cease to do business with said company, you are NOT entitled to use the
    > aforementioned software.
    >
    > Is that clear?
    > I hope so.

    It's very clear, thanks.

    The effort you have put into your little attempt to validate Flatfishes
    continued use of corporately licenced Windows OS instead of paying for it
    himself, shows very clearly that Moshe Goldfarb is the same Winroll also
    known as Flatfish.

  19. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:46:16 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-22, Terry Porter claimed:
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:13:14 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    >>> For another thing, most corporate license agreements do allow for an
    >>> employee to use most of the products off the premises on the provision
    >>> that it is contributing to the corporate's interests. That is a
    >>> difficult thing to argue as to whether an individual's mixed use of
    >>> the privilege represents piracy.

    >> Only the Flatfish would throw that one in, in order to explain why he
    >> never pays for Windows software.

    > If bilge wants proof that Flatso is a thief, let's take Flatfart's word
    > for it. S/H/It bragged about buying Mandrake, making copies, which
    > s/h/it bragged about giving to 5 other people, and taking it back for a
    > refund. Flatass pretended doing things like that is OK, and tried
    > defending it by claiming it was crappy and didn't work. I guess that's
    > why s/h/it gave it to 5 friends.

    Excellent memory Sinister Midget, I recall when the Flatfish posted that
    article 7+ years ago.

    Of course, it's just words, one should never believe a Wintroll.

  20. Re: Microsoft launch Anti Piracy Day

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:05:28 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    > news:UpidnQ2fIKakOWLVnZ2dnUVZ_hidnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >>
    >> Nice spin. Microsoft is a convicted monopolist and have sought to close
    >> every supply channel for alternative OS's.
    >>

    > Well they were not "convicted" of anything

    Nonsense, how the Wintrolls try to rewrite history.
    ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

    Judge Jackson issued his findings of fact[11] on November 5, 1999, which
    stated that Microsoft's dominance of the personal computer operating
    systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken
    actions to crush threats to the monopoly, including Apple, Java,
    Netscape, Lotus Notes, Real Networks, Linux, and others. Then on April 3,
    2000, he issued a two-part ruling: his conclusions of law were that
    Microsoft had committed monopolization, attempted monopolization, and
    tying in violation of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act, and his remedy
    was that Microsoft must be broken into two separate units, one to produce
    the operating system, and one to produce other software components.

    No, by FORCE. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

    >>> Are you really convinced that anyone and everyone who believes
    >>> anything in opposition to your thoughts is the same person?

    >> What an odd question on COLA ??
    >>

    > Not so odd.

    Yes, extremely odd. No Wintrolls post under their real name, they could
    all be the same person, no one knows, and that they way you like it.

    > You mistakenly use the term "Flatfish" without any regard
    > for the truth of the matter.

    When it comes to Wintrolls, there is no truth to speak off. They are the
    lying, forging dreg of Usenet posters.

    >>> That is a sure sign
    >>> of a pananoia that needs some treatment.

    >> Sure sounds like the Flatfish, same reversion to pretending this isn't
    >> COLA, with its small group of Wintrolls all operating under many fake
    >> ids.
    >>

    > Well I have been using this ID exclusively here for many years.

    So what ?
    It's not a real name, you could be anyone.

    >> If you're so worried about my paranoia, just start posting with your
    >> real name ?
    >>

    > And you wouldn't call me "Flatfish"? How would you even know if the
    > name I picked was real?

    The fact that I *may* be able to find out is obviously enough of a threat
    to you to avoid revealing your *real* self.

    > There is one school of thought that seems to
    > believe that I am an economics teacher in the western USA and Shestowitz
    > has even published that on his website and it was still there not too
    > long ago and may be there still. You can believe that, too, as many do,
    > but I did publish a cite to show where the person that is referenced
    > actually died over a year ago. I get a chuckle every time one of the
    > magpies here repeats the assertion.

    I'm not concerned with half truths or fantasies, you're a Wintroll to me.

    >>> I seriously doubt that such a
    >>> percentage of Windows itself is pirated or counterfeited. Very few
    >>> PCs sold in the world are from the small makers who take a chance on
    >>> counterfeit OS.

    >> Then speak to Microsoft, they said that over 33% of Windows users are
    >> using pirated software, not me.
    >>

    > But they never said that the pirated software was Windows itself. You
    > need to read more precisely.

    No, I'm just quoting Microsoft, they said that over 33% of Windows users
    are using pirated software, not me.

    Talk to them about it.

    >>> The vast majority are shipped by the major OEMs who gladly pay
    >>> Microsoft for the platform software that they include with their
    >>> bundled systems.

    >> "Gladly", hahahahahahahah!
    >>
    >> I doubt it. Microsoft OEMs are locked into paying per pc, they can;t
    >> include Linux for instance as an alternative, because it won't be any
    >> cheaper due to this "Microsoft tax".
    >>
    >> How conveniently you ignore the real facts.
    >>

    > Well, as much of a problem that it poses for your theory, Microsoft has
    > been barred from the "per processor" licensing agreements for some 15
    > years and has not done so. There are a couple of watchdog committees
    > appointed to review all of their business dealings and no such incidents
    > have been reported. Are you ignorant of this?

    No, I'm not ignorant of the power of Microsoft to break the law, and to
    continue to do so with no fear of the Bush regime taking any action.

    >>> There is simply not much need to pirate Windows
    >>> in that circumstance.

    >> Again, Microsoft claim these figures, but a Wintroll knows better ?
    >>

    > They didn't say Windows itself was being pirated at that rate.

    Quibble all you like, Wintroll.

    >>> The pirates would be more likely to pirate MS
    >>> Office or Adobe's products or Intuit's or Symantec's or others that do
    >>> not often come bundled with a new PC and that represent a substantial
    >>> cost in comparison to the base PC and OS.

    >> I'm sure they do pirate these as well. I'm an Australian, and over
    >> here, the pirating of MS OSes and all and every program available is
    >> endemic.
    >>
    >> Kind of like China really. There is a whole culture that believe its
    >> *better* to pirate than to buy.
    >>
    >> These same people will steal software that is inferior, to the software
    >> that Linux users get for Free.
    >>
    >> It's a strange world.
    >>

    > By your criteria, certainly, but are you all that certain that you are
    > correct?

    This is COLA, I don't need to prove anything to Wintrolls.

    > You have mistaken notions about a number of things, as
    > mentioned above, and that should make you give some thought to where
    > else you have been mistaken. Do Aussies really steal all their
    > software? Can you support that with some believable citations?

    This is COLA, I don't need to prove anything to Wintrolls.

    >>> For another thing, most corporate license agreements do allow for an
    >>> employee to use most of the products off the premises on the provision
    >>> that it is contributing to the corporate's interests. That is a
    >>> difficult thing to argue as to whether an individual's mixed use of
    >>> the privilege represents piracy.

    >> Only the Flatfish would throw that one in, in order to explain why he
    >> never pays for Windows software.
    >>

    > There you go again with no evidence.

    Lol, colour me unconcerned. You're a Wintroll, no *evidence* is needed.
    In this case my observation of your posting content and style is enough.

    > Perhaps the Flatfish would say the
    > same thing, but anyone privy to a site license agreement for Window
    > would also say that and there are many thousands of such agreements in
    > force.

    He would say the same thing.

    >> Well good for you, everyone but you hates Vista.
    >>

    > The guy that I usually go to lunch with likes it too.

    Ok, so two people like Vista. How is Balmer these days anyway ?

    > I haven't asked
    > everyone, as you seem to have done, but there seems to be very little
    > objection from the people who have been buying new PCs. They haven't
    > been disappointed enough to return them in any case.

    You obviously live in an insulated Windows world. This is not a surprise
    to me, given your Wintroll attitudes.

    As I supply WiFi gear, I post at the local post offices at least twice a
    week, and I have had to put up with endless complaints from the owner of
    a local post office, who was sold a laptop with Vista that by her words,
    took 30 + MINUTES just to boot.

    It was a new laptop, bought at one of Australias larget store chain,
    "Dick Smith". Its part of the Woolworths group.

    I'm sure you can explain that there must have been insufficient ram etc,
    but this was a *new* machine with factory installed Vista.

    >>> Does AUS commonly lag the rest of the world in updating hardware?

    >> I don't know, but you could ask the Americans who are part of the Class
    >> Action Suit against Microsoft over being sold hardware that does not
    >> run Vista properly.
    >>

    > I don't know any of them. Do you?

    My lack of personal knowledge of any of the members of the Class Action
    doesn not make it any less REAL.

    >>> would not think that to be the case. You are much closer to the
    >>> manufacturers than the USofA.

    >> See above, re Class Action Suit.

    >>> Can you substantiate this?

    >> I don't have to. This is COLA and it's just my opinions and
    >> observations, versus your Wintroll FUD.
    >>

    > Good thing for you!
    >
    >>> If you examine the pricing for legitimate
    >>> Linux computers vs legitimate Windows computers, you do not see much
    >>> of difference.

    >> Of course.
    >>
    >> Here is an example, where the cost of Windows and Linux are very
    >> pronounced, that of low cost hardware:
    >>
    >> The Linux version is $120 cheaper. Ok it has 1/2 the ram but that's not
    >> expensive to upgrade, and it hardly needs 1Gb anyway with Linux. The
    >> Linux version has superior installed applications, a fully functional
    >> (but disabled) Compiz Fusion etc. I know as my wife owns one.
    >>
    >> As for the fragile and hot 120GB hard drive, hardly an improvement over
    >> a SSD in the Netbook class.
    >>

    >> Acer Aspire One AOA150 Blue270 - ACAOA150XP $598.00 ea *
    >> Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz
    >> * Cache: 512KB
    >> * FSB: 533 MHz
    >> * RAM: 1GB DDR2 667MHz
    >> * Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
    >> * Screen: 8.9" WXGA with CrystalBrite * Graphics: Intel integrated
    >> graphics * Other Drives: N/A
    >> * Communications: 10/100 LAN, 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN * Ports/Slots: 3
    >> x USB 2.0
    >> * Software: Windows XP Home
    >> * Battery: 3-Cell Lithium-Ion
    >>

    >> Acer Aspire One AOA110 Blue7 $478.00 #
    >> Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz
    >> # Cache: 512KB
    >> # FSB: 533 MHz
    >> # RAM: 512MB DDR2 667MHz
    >> # Hard Drive: 8GB Solid State Drive (SSD) # Screen: 8.9" WXGA with
    >> CrystalBrite # Graphics: Intel integrated graphics # Other Drives: N/A
    >> # Communications: 10/100 LAN, 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN # Ports/Slots: 3
    >> x USB 2.0
    >> # Software: Linpus Linux
    >> # Battery: 3-Cell Lithium-Ion
    >>

    > http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-8-...-Processor/dp/

    B001D773KY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224866808&sr=8-6

    > A quick check of Amazon.com seems to belie your example.

    It's not an example, it's current pricing from one of the largest
    Australian office equipment sellers, "officeworks"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast