Ubuntu Basics - Appearance

,----[ Quote ]
| Like it or not, the Arial font looks good on Windows just as Helvetica looks
| good on a Mac (unless you’re some typography nerd that insists on arguing
| which looks better/worse/etc.)
| Arial looks even better when used in Ubuntu.

Modern GNU/Linux distributions come with many beautiful fonts out of the box.
Microsoft mouthpieces like Ou spread a lot of FUD.

An Introduction to Tiling Window Managers

,----[ Quote ]
| In computing, a tiling window manager is a window manager with an
| organization of the screen into mutually non-overlapping frames, as opposed
| to the more popular approach of coordinate-based stacking of overlapping
| objects (windows) that tries to fully emulate the desktop metaphor.

How can this be achieved in Windows and Leopard?

100+ Beautiful Free Fonts for Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are a graphic and web designer, the default fonts that came with
| Ubuntu will surely be not enough for your needs. However, if you know where
| to look, you can find plenty of additional fonts that can help get the job
| done.

Ubuntu and Fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| In this short tutorial i discuss some handy fonts related tips that could
| improve user's desktop experience . The tips include installing Microsoft
| True type fonts enabling one to render documents and web pages created in
| Microsoft Windows properly in Ubuntu Linux, Installing a set of cool looking
| fonts released by RedHat - Liberation fonts package , making fonts look good
| on your LCD Display by turning on subpixel smoothing , installing some cool
| and free fonts on your Ubuntu Desktop and finally how to install any font if
| you have it's ttf file . * * * *

Ubuntu Hardy - Liberation Fonts now Fully Hinted?

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent update came through for liberation fonts. It wasn't clear, but it
| looks as if there is now full hinting available. Looks very nice! Might have
| to add this to my Win XP work laptop as well. *

Liberation Fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| The first release is a set of fully usable fonts, but they will
| lack the fully hinting capability (hinting adjusts font pixelization
| so that the fonts render with high quality at large and small sizes)
| provided by TrueType/FreeType technology. That release is now ready.
| The second release will provide full hinting of the fonts, and that
| release will be available by the end of the calendar year.

Checking out the new Open Font Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Up until the last few years, typefaces were a neglected aspect in
| FOSS. However, the increased popularity of the GNU/Linux desktop and
| the emergence of software for designers is changing that. "The whole
| vectorization of the desktop with Inkscape is really doing a
| beautification of the desktop," Phillips says. In such an atmosphere,
| the OFL looks like an idea whose time has come.

Visual comparison of major OS's font rendering

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux's myth of bad font rendering is finally over.

Microsoft's forgotten [fonts] monopoly

3 Examples of Bad Microsoft Word Typography

,----[ Quote ]
| From the makers of Arial, here are three examples of bad typography in
| Microsoft Word. Bad typesetting in Word finds its way into résumés, business
| plans, research papers, government documents, even published books. These
| small inconsistencies and imperfections may be un-noticible in small doses, *
| but paragraph-after-paragraph they stack up—resulting in ugly,
| visually-incohesive documents. Word isn’t for professional typography work,
| but that’s no excuse for these typography sins. * *

Open source fonts

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’ve ever gone looking for legitimately free fonts, you’ve probably
| found that there are a lot of really bad ones. But there’s also a lot of
| discussion out there about “open source fonts.” *
| Some who post about open source fonts are really just talking about
| free-as-in-beer typefaces. Some, however, have embraced the open source
| philosophy as applied to typography. *

Liberation Fonts Installation Script

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)