Building a Linux Small-Business Server

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux oldtimers have known for years that it's not necessary to go into hock
| for expensive, proprietary networking gear, because Linux comes with a
| powerhouse networking stack. It also comes with a host of first-rate network
| services such as intrusion detection, firewalling, proxies; file, print, Web,
| and e-mail services; excellent groupware and messaging; genuine secure remote
| access and administration; secure wireless; diagnostic, monitoring, and
| repair tools; backups and restores; and most everything else needed to run
| the small-to-big enterprise.
`----

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3779396

Related:

Open Source: What Companies Are Deploying Now

,----[ Quote ]
| Small and mid-size companies have embraced Linux. Now they are taking
| up an even broader array of open source technologies.
`----

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0...2130070,00.asp

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R...ux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]
| The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
| will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
|
| "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
| - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
| Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=7681

SourceLabs looks to tame open-source sprawl

,----[ Quote ]
| SourceLabs has developed an application to bring order to
| corporations' thicket of open-source components.
|
| [...]
|
| The application, which runs on Windows or Linux, includes a copy of Swik,
| wiki-based collaboration software developed by SourceLabs that lets IT
| professionals share information on specific products.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6178793.html

Virtualization fits in small business

,----[ Quote ]
| The advent of high-performance workstations and servers based on
| Windows, Linux and similar technologies brought the benefits of
| virtualization to small- and mid-size businesses that might have
| only a limited IT staff and an even more limited budget.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6178803.html

Small businesses are ripe for free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, the initial appeal for a business is the same advantage
| that I first noticed about many free software applications: the zero
| acquisition cost. The ability to acquire these programs for free
| allows you to spend your limited capital funds in areas that
| generate profits for your company. In my initial scenario, we
| purchased one more PC than originally planned with the savings.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether you are a new business, at the point where your start-up
| expenses are exceeding your revenues (if any revenues yet), or a
| current business owner wanting to be frugal with your expenses
| and investments, you can find a free software application for
| your company.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/..._free_software

Are SMBs Missing the Open Source Boat?

,----[ Quote ]
| "One of the frustrations shared by many SMBs is the lack of
| affordable customization capabilities for business software,"
| said Red Hat Exchange Product Director Matt Mattox, "[but] this
| is where open source solutions can make the most headway. ... The
| longer-term opportunity is to engage the open source community to
| develop customized solutions for a wide variety of SMB niches.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/56865.html

Verio Targets SMBs With Linux-Based Managed Server Release

,----[ Quote ]
`----