[News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90

  1. [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    OpenOffice.org 3.0 scores strong first week

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The successful introduction of the open source office suite came despite the
    | group's download servers being temporarily overwhelmed by demand for the new
    | software last week.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With the undercount included, OpenOffice.org 3.0 may already be installed on
    | up to 5 million computers worldwide, McCreesh said in a blog post.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9117575

    The Bizarre Cathedral - 27

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_cathedral_27

    Recent:

    The Forecast Looks Good for OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sometimes today, a sunny Italian Sunday, someone will download for the fourth
    | million time the Italian version of OpenOffice.org. In the same timeframe,
    | the number of PCs sold in Italy has been around six million. Of course,
    | downloads do not count installed copies, because there might be multiple
    | downloads for the same PC or from the same person (for instance, I have
    | downloaded OpenOffice.org six times, because I own a PC and a Mac and I have
    | downloaded versions 2.3.1, 2.4 and 2.4.1), but also a single download for
    | multiple installations (as in the case of enterprises or schools). In
    | addition, downloads do not include installations from the CDs included in the
    | trade press and Linux distributions, where OpenOffice.org is already included
    | as standard in the basic configuration.
    |
    | Things are definitely looking bright for OpenOffice.org – and not just in
    | sunny Italy.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1406&blogid=14

    OpenOffice.org overwhelmed by demand for version 3.0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Eager beavers keen to get their hands on the long-awaited arrival of version
    | 3.0 of OpenOffice.org are currently unable to download the free, open
    | source-flavoured suite of office apps because demand has broken the website.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._website_dead/

    OpenOffice.org: OpenOffice.org 3.0 breaks through 390,000 downloads in a day!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenOffice.org 3.0 in its first day in Italy has moved much more bytes
    | (4,7TeraBytes), roughly corresponding to 580,000 Firefox’s downloads, while
    | during the Firefox Guiness World Record “only” 320,000 downloads were
    | actually done.
    `----

    http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/10/...oads-in-a-day/

    OpenOffice.org 3.0 now in a browser with Ulteo!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The latest and full featured version of OpenOffice.org 3.0 is now available
    | through Ulteo.com using a web browser with a single click of a mouse. No
    | download or installation process of the productivity suite is required.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:14:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > OpenOffice.org 3.0 scores strong first week
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The successful introduction of the open source office suite came despite the
    >| group's download servers being temporarily overwhelmed by demand for the new
    >| software last week.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| With the undercount included, OpenOffice.org 3.0 may already be installed on
    >| up to 5 million computers worldwide, McCreesh said in a blog post.

    Sure.....
    But not for long...

    Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    Why?
    They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    V2.0 ?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 21-10-08 18:20:

    >> | With the undercount included, OpenOffice.org 3.0 may already be installed on
    >> | up to 5 million computers worldwide, McCreesh said in a blog post.

    > Sure.....
    > But not for long...
    >
    > Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    > Why?
    > They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.
    >
    > Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    > V2.0 ?

    You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    know nothing about it, nothing at all.

    Erik Jan

  4. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On Oct 21, 9:20 am, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:14:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > > OpenOffice.org 3.0 scores strong first week

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| The successful introduction of the open source office suite came despite the
    > >| group's download servers being temporarily overwhelmed by demand for the new
    > >| software last week.
    > >|
    > >| [...]
    > >|
    > >| With the undercount included, OpenOffice.org 3.0 may already be installed on
    > >| up to 5 million computers worldwide, McCreesh said in a blog post.

    > Sure.....
    > But not for long...
    >
    > Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    > Why?
    > They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    OK, I'll bite. Why is MSOffice superior?

    Be specific.

    > Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    > V2.0 ?

    I highly doubt it, as I strongly suspect one of the criteria for
    superiority
    is simply that it -- whatever "it" is -- is developed/maintained by
    Microsoft. Since OO is not, it doesn't qualify.

    To be fair, there's a certain inertia anyway; if one uses and likes
    MSOffice, he's not likely to switch anytime soon, even after he
    or she retires.

    [.sigsnip]

    (yes, Teranews is slightly borked again.)

  5. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >> Sure.....
    >> But not for long...
    >>
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >> Why?
    >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    > OK, I'll bite. Why is MSOffice superior?
    >
    > Be specific.

    Because Microsoft sprinkles each copy with fairy dust before shipping it out
    the door... This has of course put faeries on the endangered species list,
    but that's neither here nor there.

    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  6. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > On Oct 21, 9:20 am, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:14:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> > OpenOffice.org 3.0 scores strong first week

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Sure.....
    >> But not for long...
    >>
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >> Why?
    >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    > OK, I'll bite. Why is MSOffice superior?
    >
    > Be specific.

    Less buggy, proper scripting, works with documents in 95% of the worlds
    businesses. Why do YOU think? Hint : Even Linonut doesnt use OO at work
    because it simply does not work with his companies documented.

    >> Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    >> V2.0 ?

    > I highly doubt it, as I strongly suspect one of the criteria for
    > superiority
    > is simply that it -- whatever "it" is -- is developed/maintained by
    > Microsoft. Since OO is not, it doesn't qualify.

    Rubbish. No one ever said that. It works for people and people stick
    with what works for them. Unfortunately most COLA heads have never
    worked in a real business do think that writing job applications to the
    local YMCA is all that people use a WP for.

    > To be fair, there's a certain inertia anyway; if one uses and likes
    > MSOffice, he's not likely to switch anytime soon, even after he
    > or she retires.

    Fair? That's exactly it.

    --
    "I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her."

  7. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    Erik Jan writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 21-10-08 18:20:

    >>> installed on | up to 5 million computers worldwide, McCreesh said
    >>> in a blog post.

    >> Sure.....
    >> But not for long...
    >>
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >> Why?
    >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.
    >>
    >> Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    >> V2.0 ?

    > You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    > know nothing about it, nothing at all.
    >
    > Erik Jan

    Linonut does. Ask him.

    --
    "I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her."
    -- "tiny dancer" in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  8. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    > On Oct 21, 9:20 am, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:14:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> > OpenOffice.org 3.0 scores strong first week

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> >despite the
    >> >the new

    >> >installed on

    >> Sure.....
    >> But not for long...
    >>
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >> Why?
    >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    > OK, I'll bite. Why is MSOffice superior?
    >
    > Be specific.

    I'm not so sure about "superior" but it's certainly the most widely used
    office suite. A large part of it is getting there first and you can't ignore
    that part of the equation. People do tend to have a great deal of "brand
    loyalty" and I don't mean that in the "loyal" sense but rather that people
    in general tend to stick with what they know.

    I suspect that MSO is better at automation tasks since it's been fully
    scriptable for quite some time now. Those people who do script MSO are
    already familiar with the scripting language so that's also a plus for them.

    >> Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard
    >> with
    >> V2.0 ?

    > I highly doubt it, as I strongly suspect one of the criteria for
    > superiority
    > is simply that it -- whatever "it" is -- is developed/maintained by
    > Microsoft. Since OO is not, it doesn't qualify.
    >
    > To be fair, there's a certain inertia anyway; if one uses and likes
    > MSOffice, he's not likely to switch anytime soon, even after he
    > or she retires.

    That "inertia" thing is basically what I was talking about above. There's
    probably some better cola out there than Coke or Pepsi but good luck with
    that 3rd brand of soda. Coke and Pepsi have the inertia and brand loyalty
    and that won't change anytime soon. In many ways the Open-Office vs.
    MS-Office is similar to Windows vs. Linux. One is free while the other is
    from Microsoft. People will tend to gravitate towards what they know and in
    most cases that's Windows and MSO.

    > [.sigsnip]
    >
    > (yes, Teranews is slightly borked again.)

  9. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On Oct 21, 10:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > >> Sure.....
    > >> But not for long...

    > >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    > >> Why?
    > >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    > > OK, I'll bite. Why is MSOffice superior?

    > > Be specific.

    > Less buggy,

    Be more specific. What bugs is one referring to here?

    > proper scripting,

    Yes, as it supports VBScript and JScript. These are the
    two most popular scripting languages on the planet.

    (They are also the most standard, since standard is quite
    obviously defined by popularity. Well, OK, maybe.)

    > works with documents in 95% of the worlds businesses.

    99.999% is more like it, methinks. The rest number 600 (at least
    in the US) and these probably don't need computers, much less
    Office. ;-)

    Even those that don't use MS Office have to deal with MS Office,
    as they are sent documents from other firms that do. Also, many
    resume hunting houses require MS Word documents.

    > Why do YOU think? Hint : Even Linonut doesnt use OO at work
    > because it simply does not work with his companies documented.

    Naturally. And until Microsoft unlocks the format, such will
    continue to be into the indefinite future.

    This is what everyone means by "multi-vendor format supportability",
    obviously.

    > >> Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    > >> V2.0 ?

    > > I highly doubt it, as I strongly suspect one of the criteria for
    > > superiority
    > > is simply that it -- whatever "it" is -- is developed/maintained by
    > > Microsoft. Since OO is not, it doesn't qualify.

    > Rubbish. No one ever said that.

    Not *here*, no. But it's clear that, if one has a trusted solution
    (and Microsoft certainly qualifies in many businesses, since
    otherwise MS wouldn't be garnering $60B in raw revenue a year),
    one tends to stick with it, even if OpenOffice can run rings around
    the competition while doing headstands, eating fireswords, juggling,
    and riding a unicycle.

    (And no, OO cannot run rings around Word while doing headstands,
    eating fireswords, juggling, and riding a unicycle. At least, not as
    of
    revision 3.0 that I know of.)

    Therefore "previous vendor" is implicitly part of the qualification
    process,
    though the priority thereof might differ depending on individual
    IT manager/purchasing agent.

    > It works for people and people stick
    > with what works for them. Unfortunately most COLA heads have never
    > worked in a real business do think that writing job applications to the
    > local YMCA is all that people use a WP for.

    That's all that OO is good for, obviously! :-)

    > > To be fair, there's a certain inertia anyway; if one uses and likes
    > > MSOffice, he's not likely to switch anytime soon, even after he
    > > or she retires.

    > Fair? That's exactly it.

    As it should be. Perhaps the US should mandate this into law,
    a la the UK? Apparently a fair number of government websites
    therein require IE....

    [.sigsnip]

  10. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > On Oct 21, 10:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    >> > OK, I'll bite. Why is MSOffice superior?

    >> > Be specific.

    >> Less buggy,

    > Be more specific. What bugs is one referring to here?

    Go look. Use it.

    >> proper scripting,

    > Yes, as it supports VBScript and JScript. These are the
    > two most popular scripting languages on the planet.
    >
    > (They are also the most standard, since standard is quite
    > obviously defined by popularity. Well, OK, maybe.)

    Which begs the question : Why are you asking if the answer for real
    companies with workflow management is so obvious?

    >> works with documents in 95% of the worlds businesses.

    > 99.999% is more like it, methinks. The rest number 600 (at least
    > in the US) and these probably don't need computers, much less
    > Office. ;-)

    I would agree.

    > Even those that don't use MS Office have to deal with MS Office,
    > as they are sent documents from other firms that do. Also, many
    > resume hunting houses require MS Word documents.

    Yes... so once more, why are you asking? It is obvious to an amoeba IMO.

    .... *snip*

  11. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:15:50 +0200, Erik Jan wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 21-10-08 18:20:

    >> Sure.....
    >> But not for long...
    >>
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >> Why?
    >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.
    >>
    >> Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    >> V2.0 ?

    > You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    > know nothing about it, nothing at all.
    >
    > Erik Jan

    I know that I have NEVER seen OpenOffice being used in any corporation that
    I deal with, or my associates deal with.

    One would think that a free product would quickly take over the market
    share of an expensive product.

    It's not happening.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On Oct 21, 10:59 am, Hadron wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > >> Less buggy,

    > > Be more specific. What bugs is one referring to here?

    > Go look. Use it.

    What of it? I cannot use either as neither meet my needs, which
    are admittedly extremely esoteric. (For starters, neither
    one allows for the construction of a single XML file,
    multiple XSL/CSS solution. Such is trivial with
    a master XML data file, a number of XSL files
    interpreting that file, and a number of XML "stub files"
    which basically include xsi:href attributes to the
    master file.)

    > >> proper scripting,

    > > Yes, as it supports VBScript and JScript. These are the
    > > two most popular scripting languages on the planet.

    > > (They are also the most standard, since standard is quite
    > > obviously defined by popularity. Well, OK, maybe.)

    > Which begs the question : Why are you asking if the answer for real
    > companies with workflow management is so obvious?

    Of course.

    > >> works with documents in 95% of the worlds businesses.

    > > 99.999% is more like it, methinks. The rest number 600 (at least
    > > in the US) and these probably don't need computers, much less
    > > Office. ;-)

    > I would agree.

    Oops, misplaced a decimal point. 99.99999%, and the other 6
    hadn't responded in time for publication. ;-)

    > > Even those that don't use MS Office have to deal with MS Office,
    > > as they are sent documents from other firms that do. Also, many
    > > resume hunting houses require MS Word documents.

    > Yes... so once more, why are you asking? It is obvious to an amoeba IMO.
    >
    > ... *snip*

    Very true...and therefore, I would suggest that each and every one of
    us
    perforce get behind and fully support ISO/IEC 29500 as opposed to
    ISO/IEC 26300, as the former is clearly the far better specification
    (or at least the more verbose).

    There is also the issue that ISO/IEC 29500 is sponsored by a large,
    international firm.

  13. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Jan belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 21-10-08 18:20:
    >
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.

    > You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    > know nothing about it, nothing at all.

    He's making it up completely. I'm sure a few people would prefer a free
    copy of Microsoft Office to OpenOffice, but how many would pay for
    Microsoft Office if they knew just how good OpenOffice is at handling
    most Word/PowerPoint/Excel documents?

    --
    Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is
    nothing but cabbage with a college education.

  14. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I'm not so sure about "superior" but it's certainly the most widely used
    > office suite. A large part of it is getting there first and you can't ignore
    > that part of the equation. People do tend to have a great deal of "brand
    > loyalty" and I don't mean that in the "loyal" sense but rather that people
    > in general tend to stick with what they know.

    Also, although somewhat similar, the feel of OpenOffice is a little
    different. In some ways a little better, in some ways a little worse.
    If you're used to MS Office, you'll notice a difference. I had one guy
    tell me he like OO, but still preferred MSO.

    > I suspect that MSO is better at automation tasks since it's been fully
    > scriptable for quite some time now. Those people who do script MSO are
    > already familiar with the scripting language so that's also a plus for
    > them.

    Definitely, as Tom Shelton and DFS have already pointed out.

    > That "inertia" thing is basically what I was talking about above. There's
    > probably some better cola out there than Coke or Pepsi but good luck with
    > that 3rd brand of soda. Coke and Pepsi have the inertia and brand loyalty
    > and that won't change anytime soon. In many ways the Open-Office vs.
    > MS-Office is similar to Windows vs. Linux. One is free while the other is
    > from Microsoft. People will tend to gravitate towards what they know
    > and in most cases that's Windows and MSO.

    --
    Playing an unamplified electric guitar is like strumming on a picnic table.
    -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"

  15. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    Erik Jan wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >> Why?
    >> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    >You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    >know nothing about it, nothing at all.

    The troll is, of course, lying with his unqualified statements above.

    Certainly, many do pay for M$ Office (especially in business), but I
    know of no one who would pay for it for their own personal use...

  16. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 21, 10:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Why do YOU think? Hint : Even Linonut doesnt use OO at work
    >> because it simply does not work with his companies documented.

    Wrong again, Hadron, you dissembling twit. No, wrong. You're just
    plain /lying/ about what I posted. What a surprise.

    I use OO to /originate/ a large number of my documents, because OO works
    /great/ as an MS Office substitute if:

    1. You create the document using OO.

    2. You then edit it forevermore in MSO.

    If you try to read the MSO corrupted document in OO, you /may/ have
    problems /if/ the formatting is complex (headers, footers, special
    fonts, and numbering).

    I've written a number of documents, spreadsheets, and slideshows using
    OO only, and then converted them to MSO for distribution, with no one
    being the wiser.

    I do not try to edit our 300 to 500-page design documents in OO, and of
    course one must use Word as the interface to Rational RequisitePro.

    However, all our newer design documents have the detailed section
    generated by Doxygen and then converted to PDF, so dealing with any kind
    of word processor is not so necessary anymore. Thank god. I'd rather
    edit with vi than /any/ word processor.

    > Naturally. And until Microsoft unlocks the format, such will
    > continue to be into the indefinite future.

    The OO teams has most of it figured out. And I don't blame them for not
    figuring out /all/ of it... Microsoft can't quite get its own outline
    numbering working perfectly.

    > This is what everyone means by "multi-vendor format supportability",
    > obviously.

    Any vendor as long as it's Microsoft.

    --
    "It's like deja vu all over again." -- Yogi Berra

  17. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:23:19 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Jan belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 21-10-08 18:20:
    >>
    >>> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.

    >> You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    >> know nothing about it, nothing at all.

    > He's making it up completely. I'm sure a few people would prefer a free
    > copy of Microsoft Office to OpenOffice, but how many would pay for
    > Microsoft Office if they knew just how good OpenOffice is at handling
    > most Word/PowerPoint/Excel documents?

    Take a look at just about any corporate desktop, mobile employee's laptop
    etc and tell me what you find.......

    Next....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On 2008-10-21, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:15:50 +0200, Erik Jan wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 21-10-08 18:20:

    >>> Sure.....
    >>> But not for long...
    >>>
    >>> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >>> Why?
    >>> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.
    >>>
    >>> Possibly OpenOffice 3.0 will remedy this, but isn't that what we heard with
    >>> V2.0 ?

    >> You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    >> know nothing about it, nothing at all.
    >>
    >> Erik Jan

    > I know that I have NEVER seen OpenOffice being used in any corporation that
    > I deal with, or my associates deal with.
    >
    > One would think that a free product would quickly take over the market
    > share of an expensive product.
    >
    > It's not happening.

    I know that a previous employer started trying to install OOo on desktops
    rather then upgrade their Office. They dumped OOo after a month or so,
    because a lot of the data that we got was by excel spread sheets, and OOo kept
    screwing stuff up. Of course, this was one of the 1.0 releases around the
    time of office xp (2002?) - so maybe things would be better now

    --
    Tom Shelton

  19. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    On 2008-10-21, chrisv wrote:
    > Erik Jan wrote:
    >
    >> mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Once people try OpenOffice, they dump it rather quickly.
    >>> Why?
    >>> They would rather pay for MSOffice because it's superior.

    >>You keep repeating this, but you do not have the means to know it. You
    >>know nothing about it, nothing at all.

    > The troll is, of course, lying with his unqualified statements above.
    >
    > Certainly, many do pay for M$ Office (especially in business), but I
    > know of no one who would pay for it for their own personal use...

    I would and do.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  20. Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >> Hadron quacked:
    >>>
    >>> Why do YOU think? Hint : Even Linonut doesnt use OO at work
    >>> because it simply does not work with his companies documented.

    >Wrong again, Hadron, you dissembling twit. No, wrong. You're just
    >plain /lying/ about what I posted. What a surprise.
    >
    >I use OO to /originate/ a large number of my documents, because OO works
    >/great/ as an MS Office substitute if:
    >
    > 1. You create the document using OO.
    >
    > 2. You then edit it forevermore in MSO.
    >
    >If you try to read the MSO corrupted document in OO, you /may/ have
    >problems /if/ the formatting is complex (headers, footers, special
    >fonts, and numbering).

    Well, that makes M$ Office "better" in a troll's (alleged) mind.

    --
    "Anyone who says Open Office is as good as MS Office is living in
    denial." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast