[News] Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA - Linux

  1. [News] Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA

    MPAA slams EFF on RealDVD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Monday, the Motion Picture Association of America responded in an open
    | letter to the EFF titled: "Hollywood isn't Living in the Past, EFF Shouldn't
    | Either." In the letter provided to CNET News, the MPAA calls EFF's
    | claims "disingenuous and wrongheaded." The MPAA says RealDVD, which enables
    | users to copy the contents on a DVD and save the digital file on a hard
    | drive, is a pirate tool.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Backups are a crime now?

    Recent:

    750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
    | cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
    | say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
    | find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
    | Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
    | determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
    | it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
    | somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
    | come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
    | the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
    | complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
    | appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
    | spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
    | developing such estimates in-house.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...-on-piracy.ars

    Judge halts sales of RealDVD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Representatives from the MPAA and RealNetworks could not be reached Sunday.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Music stars unite to seek control

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | UK pop and rock stars are taking action to try to gain ownership and control
    | of their work from record labels.
    `----

    British Government Violates Copyright

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
    | this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
    | enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
    | Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
    | its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
    `----

    http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

    UK government stole website theme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
    | design it nicked.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-stole-website

    US presidential candidate is a pirate

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | THE PRESUMED Republican US presidential candidate John McCain favours
    | draconian copyright enforcement, except when his own election campaign uses
    | other people's music.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...tial-candidate

  2. Re: [News] Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > MPAA slams EFF on RealDVD
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | On Monday, the Motion Picture Association of America responded in an open
    > | letter to the EFF titled: "Hollywood isn't Living in the Past, EFF Shouldn't
    > | Either." In the letter provided to CNET News, the MPAA calls EFF's
    > | claims "disingenuous and wrongheaded." The MPAA says RealDVD, which enables
    > | users to copy the contents on a DVD and save the digital file on a hard
    > | drive, is a pirate tool.
    > `----

    Guns are a murderer's tool however we're still waiting for them to be
    banned from sale in the US. Nice double standards there.

    ---
    Cat: "I say we get into the jet powered rocket pants and Junior Birdman
    the hell outta here!"
    Kryten: "An excellent and inventive suggestion sir with just two minor
    drawbacks. One: we don't have any jet powered rocket pants, and two:
    there's no such thing as jet powered rocket pants outside the fictional
    serial 'Robbie Rocketpants'".
    Cat: "Well that's put a crimp on an otherwise damn fine plan."

  3. Re: [News] Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA

    Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

    > Guns are a murderer's tool however we're still waiting for them to be
    > banned from sale in the US. Nice double standards there.

    Not according to their logic it's not. In the Land of Nothing Is Free
    "Intellectual Monopoly" violation is ranked more heinous than murder,
    since they seem to value exploitation and greed above life itself.

    Shooting people is just a way of passing the time while they wait for
    another victim to exploit. That - and watching Reality TV shows about
    other gun-toting maniacs and gangsters exploiting people for the sake
    of greed. In that respect, I suppose one could categorise American TV
    more as Edutainment - a "training programme" for the American Dream®.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:39:18 up 13 days, 5:35, 4 users, load average: 0.86, 0.77, 0.58

  4. Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA

    On Oct 23, 12:39 pm, Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
    >
    > > Guns are a murderer's tool however we're still waiting for them to be
    > > banned from sale in the US. Nice double standards there.

    > Not according to their logic it's not. In the Land of Nothing Is Free
    > "Intellectual Monopoly" violation is ranked more heinous than murder,
    > since they seem to value exploitation and greed above life itself.

    This sort of thing's been around for awhile,
    regrettably; recall for instance the uproar about
    showing the wrong bit of Janet Jackson's anatomy
    (hello, everyone has a pair, even the males!) during the
    Super-Duper-Whopper-Oopsie!-Bowl XXXVIII aye-yey-yii!
    game in early 2004. Oh, the calamity! Oh, the depravity!
    Oh, the morality! Oh, the raucous screaming and wailing
    and gnashing of teeth!

    Meanwhile, some of the soaps can get mighty explicit,
    I've been given to understand (I don't watch them), and
    anyone with half a clue can find certain websites. One in
    particular might be alternatively called "Iranian feline
    house pet" and many here would instantly know exactly which
    one I'm talking about, once they're told what ancient
    country Iran used to be a part of; another I might call
    "stuff goblin"; still another's name relates to either
    a mythical planet orbiting closer to Sol than Mercury,
    or a planet which is part of Star Trek's Federation,
    one of whose members was played by Leonard Nimoy.

    Such sites show a *lot* more than a wardrobe malfunction.

    (Fortunately, the courts voided the fine, according to the
    Wikipedia article, and certainly I rather doubt it was
    all that intentional anyway.)

    And then there's the drama shows where someone gets shot
    once every 5 minutes or so, not to mention the occasional
    "thug" video, and the highly excessive (if very cartoonish)
    violence that was evident even back in the early 1930's
    or thereabouts, once the animators got past the "sing and
    dance" phase of their work. I don't see how a person can
    easily recover from having a 16-ton anvil or weight dropped
    on their head in real life, but cartoons routinely recover
    after a short pause (and in many cases flying birdies of
    various colors around their head tweating chirpy songs)
    -- assuming they don't fall off a cliff in the meantime.

    Reality is a little grimmer, even for a milder form
    of head injury:

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/concussion/DS00320
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/concu...article_em.htm
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/safety/fi...ncussions.html

    Now, some of the toons I've seen, at least among hentai
    anime, I wouldn't want to put on prime time, and sex
    has always been a weird taboo in US culture (and rather
    off topic regarding Linux, but one wonders what taboos
    *we're* touching here!), but I know which case I'd prefer
    to prosecute:

    - A cop/detective charging someone with indecent exposure,
    lewd behavior, or both.
    - A cop/detective having to deal with a homicide, and a
    perp waving a gun, a grieving SO/relative, or both.

    Or perhaps, since this *is* a Linux group:

    - A copyright violation of code being allegedly lifted from
    SCO and installed into the Linux kernel.

    That last one will be *very* dry compared to the other two... ;-)
    (and fortunately decided in Linux's favor, if I'm not mistaken).

    > Shooting people is just a way of passing the time while they wait for
    > another victim to exploit. That - and watching Reality TV shows about
    > other gun-toting maniacs and gangsters exploiting people for the sake
    > of greed. In that respect, I suppose one could categorise American TV
    > more as Edutainment - a "training programme" for the American Dream.

    Edutainment? Or propaganda?

    One wonders.

  5. Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > On Oct 23, 12:39 pm, Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

    >>> Guns are a murderer's tool however we're still waiting for them
    >>> to be banned from sale in the US. Nice double standards there.

    >> Not according to their logic it's not. In the Land of Nothing Is
    >> Free "Intellectual Monopoly" violation is ranked more heinous than
    >> murder, since they seem to value exploitation and greed above life
    >> itself.

    > This sort of thing's been around for awhile, regrettably; recall for
    > instance the uproar about showing the wrong bit of Janet Jackson's
    > anatomy (hello, everyone has a pair, even the males!) during the
    > Super-Duper-Whopper-Oopsie!-Bowl XXXVIII aye-yey-yii! game in early
    > 2004. Oh, the calamity! Oh, the depravity! Oh, the morality! Oh,
    > the raucous screaming and wailing and gnashing of teeth!

    Yes I saw it on Boobtube, along with a rather hilarious spoof of the
    incident that was used as a commercial for ... beer or something.

    It was certainly an Oops Moment, but did I miss the copyright angle?

    Did JJ copyright her nipples?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:21:20 up 13 days, 11:17, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.00

  6. Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Attacked by the MAFIAA

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:21:36 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> On Oct 23, 12:39 pm, Homer wrote:
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

    >>> Not according to their logic it's not. In the Land of Nothing Is
    >>> Free "Intellectual Monopoly" violation is ranked more heinous than
    >>> murder, since they seem to value exploitation and greed above life
    >>> itself.

    >> This sort of thing's been around for awhile, regrettably; recall for
    >> instance the uproar about showing the wrong bit of Janet Jackson's
    >> anatomy (hello, everyone has a pair, even the males!) during the
    >> Super-Duper-Whopper-Oopsie!-Bowl XXXVIII aye-yey-yii! game in early
    >> 2004. Oh, the calamity! Oh, the depravity! Oh, the morality! Oh,
    >> the raucous screaming and wailing and gnashing of teeth!

    > Yes I saw it on Boobtube, along with a rather hilarious spoof of the
    > incident that was used as a commercial for ... beer or something.
    >
    > It was certainly an Oops Moment, but did I miss the copyright angle?
    >
    > Did JJ copyright her nipples?

    Can't say for sure, but that Urban Myths and Legends" show had a spot on
    JLo insuring her ass for millions.
    I didn't see the show, thank God, so I don't know if it is true or not.

    I watch very little TV.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: