[News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software - Linux

  1. [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    Build It. Share It. Profit. Can Open Source Hardware Work?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That's because the Arduino board is a piece of open source hardware, free for
    | anyone to use, modify, or sell. Banzi and his team have spent precious
    | billable hours making the thing, and they sell it themselves for a small
    | profit — while allowing anyone else to do the same. They're not alone in this
    | experiment. In a loosely coordinated movement, dozens of hardware inventors
    | around the world have begun to freely publish their specs. There are open
    | source synthesizers, MP3 players, guitar amplifiers, and even high-end
    | voice-over-IP phone routers. You can buy an open source mobile phone to talk
    | on, and a chip company called VIA has just released an open source laptop:
    | Anyone can take its design, fabricate it, and start selling the notebooks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Then again, Linux sounded pretty insane, too, back in 1991, when Linus
    | Torvalds announced it. Nobody believed a bunch of part-time volunteers could
    | create something as complex as an operating system, or that it would be more
    | stable than Windows. Nobody believed Fortune 500 companies would trust
    | software that couldn't be "owned." Yet 17 years later, the open source
    | software movement has been crucial to the Cambrian explosion of the Web
    | economy. Linux enabled Google to build dirt-cheap servers; Java and Perl and
    | Ruby have become the lingua franca for building Web 2.0 applications; and the
    | free Web-server software Apache powers nearly half of all Web sites in the
    | world. Open source software gave birth to the Internet age, making everyone—
    | even those who donated their labor—better off.
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startup...nmanufacturing

    Recent:

    New Release 2.0: Open Source Hardware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As a trusted colleague suggested recently, putting the
    | words "open," "source," and "hardware" next to one another in a sentence is a
    | sure way to cure insomnia among business people. But, before those non-alpha
    | geeks among you click away, you might want to know what the alpha geeks know:
    | that open source hardware is looking like it will be a big part of the future
    | of manufacturing and beyond.
    `----

    http://radar.oreilly.com/2007/12/new...ource-har.html

    Related:

    Open-source hardware: Open sesame

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now the same approach is being applied to hardware, albeit in a modified
    | form. The open-source model cannot be directly carried over to hardware,
    | because software can be duplicated and distributed at almost no cost, whereas
    | physical objects cannot. Modifying source code and then distributing a new,
    | improved version of a program is much easier than improving and sharing the
    | design of, say, an open-source motorbike. Some day, perhaps, fabricating
    | machines will be able to transform digital specifications (software) into
    | physical objects (hardware), which will no doubt lead to a vibrant trade in
    | specifications, some of which will be paid for, and some of which will be
    | open-source.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But until that day, the term “open-source hardware” is being used in a
    | narrower sense. It refers to an emerging class of electronic devices, for
    | which the specifications have been made public, so that enthusiasts can
    | suggest refinements, write and share software improvements, and even build
    | their own devices from scratch. This is not as daft as it sounds. Even if all
    | the details needed to build something are available, few people will have the
    | tools or the inclination to do so.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Some enthusiasts point to 2005 as a crucial year: that was when work began on
    | devices such as the RepRap (a rapid-prototyping machine that will, its makers
    | hope, be able to replicate itself) and the TuxPhone, an open, Linux-powered
    | mobile-phone. It was also when Sun Microsystems, a computer-maker, decided to
    | publish the specifications of one of its microprocessors, the UltraSPARC T1.
    | The open-source hardware trend is now growing fast, says Adrian Bowyer, a
    | mechanical engineer at the University of Bath and the inventor of the RepRap.
    `----

    http://www.economist.com/displaystor...ry_id=11482589

    Prototype Of Machine That Copies Itself Goes On Show

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A University of Bath academic, who oversees a global effort to develop an
    | open-source machine that ‘prints’ three-dimensional objects, is celebrating
    | after the prototype machine succeeded in making a set of its own printed
    | parts. The machine, named RepRap, will be exhibited publicly at the
    | Cheltenham Science Festival (4-8 June 2008).
    `----

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0605211522.htm

    DIY Robotics: The Rise of Open Source Hardware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Holman's not the only one hacking hardware. The hardware-hacking trend,
    | perhaps exemplified best by O'Reilly's Make magazine and wildly successful
    | Maker Faire, is one of the dominating themes of this year's conference.
    | Geeks, accustomed to being able to use and modify open source software like
    | Linux without restriction, are adopting the same attitude with respect to
    | consumer electronics devices, whether those devices are freely hackable, like
    | the forthcoming Google-backed Android operating system for phones, or more
    | locked down, like Apple's iPhone. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscell...etech_hardware

    Open Source Hardware Gift Guide

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source 3D printers, TV-turn-off devices, iPod chargers, music players,
    | wi-fi companions, educational electronic kits, and more! Let's get gifting!
    `----

    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...ware_gift.html

    Open source hardware comes out of closet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
    | pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
    | now it’s becoming a reality. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ardware-coming

    The Future of Hardware is Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
    | next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right *
    | place at the right time. *After that, the sky’s the limit! *
    `----

    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

    Open Source Hardware: Birth Of A Long Tail Market?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And when there is unrestricted collaboration, nearly anything is possible.
    | Buglabs, the open source hardware movement and other yet-to-be discovered
    | frontiers have the same opportunity here. *
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3700366

    Do we need an open hardware license?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Still, Hicks says that it's possible to use open source hardware designs with
    | field-programmable gate arrays, "which are quite affordable," and points to
    | OpenSPARC and the OPENCORES community of open hardware designers as examples
    | of real-world usage of open hardware. *
    |
    | Phipps says that he sees open hardware following in the footsteps of FOSS,
    | though he says mainstreaming of open hardware "will take much longer ... to
    | get a foothold." *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/118198

    Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
    | License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
    | specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
    | modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
    | license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
    | open-source license.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-615...0-20&subj=news
    http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

  2. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Build It. Share It. Profit. Can Open Source Hardware Work?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | That's because the Arduino board is a piece of open source hardware, free for
    > | anyone to use, modify, or sell. Banzi and his team have spent precious
    > | billable hours making the thing, and they sell it themselves for a
    > small

    "precious"

    > | profit while allowing anyone else to do the same. They're not
    > | alone in this

    "small profit"

    > | experiment. In a loosely coordinated movement, dozens of hardware
    > | inventors

    "loosely coordinated"

    > | around the world have begun to freely publish their specs. There are open
    > | source synthesizers, MP3 players, guitar amplifiers, and even high-end
    > | voice-over-IP phone routers. You can buy an open source mobile phone to talk
    > | on, and a chip company called VIA has just released an open source laptop:
    > | Anyone can take its design, fabricate it, and start selling the
    > | notebooks.

    Crazy eh? Someone will undercut them and they will go bust. Then the
    copycat will hoist its prices. Welcome to the real world.

    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Then again, Linux sounded pretty insane, too, back in 1991, when Linus
    > | Torvalds announced it. Nobody believed a bunch of part-time volunteers could
    > | create something as complex as an operating system, or that it would
    > | be more

    Huh? university under grads were doing it all the time.

    > | stable than Windows. Nobody believed Fortune 500 companies would trust
    > | software that couldn't be "owned." Yet 17 years later, the open source
    > | software movement has been crucial to the Cambrian explosion of the Web
    > | economy. Linux enabled Google to build dirt-cheap servers; Java and
    > | Perl and

    Don't be ridiculous. It didn't enable any such thing. It saved them a few
    quid per machine.

  3. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:40:05 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Build It. Share It. Profit. Can Open Source Hardware Work?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | That's because the Arduino board is a piece of open source hardware,
    >> free for | anyone to use, modify, or sell. Banzi and his team have
    >> spent precious | billable hours making the thing, and they sell it
    >> themselves for a small

    > "precious"
    >
    >> | profit while allowing anyone else to do the same. They're not |
    >> alone in this

    > "small profit"
    >
    >> | experiment. In a loosely coordinated movement, dozens of hardware |
    >> inventors

    > "loosely coordinated"
    >
    >> | around the world have begun to freely publish their specs. There are
    >> open | source synthesizers, MP3 players, guitar amplifiers, and even
    >> high-end | voice-over-IP phone routers. You can buy an open source
    >> mobile phone to talk | on, and a chip company called VIA has just
    >> released an open source laptop: | Anyone can take its design, fabricate
    >> it, and start selling the | notebooks.

    > Crazy eh? Someone will undercut them and they will go bust. Then the
    > copycat will hoist its prices. Welcome to the real world.
    >

    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | Then again, Linux sounded pretty insane, too, back in 1991, when
    >> Linus | Torvalds announced it. Nobody believed a bunch of part-time
    >> volunteers could | create something as complex as an operating system,
    >> or that it would | be more

    > Huh? university under grads were doing it all the time.
    >
    >> | stable than Windows. Nobody believed Fortune 500 companies would
    >> trust | software that couldn't be "owned." Yet 17 years later, the open
    >> source | software movement has been crucial to the Cambrian explosion
    >> of the Web | economy. Linux enabled Google to build dirt-cheap servers;
    >> Java and | Perl and

    > Don't be ridiculous. It didn't enable any such thing. It saved them a
    > few quid per machine.

    Yea verily, the Oracle hast articulated and mere mortals gasp at the
    sheer audacity of his pronouncements.

    Plonker.

    --
    I'm always polite, reasonable and kind.... except when I'm not.

  4. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    SomeBloke writes:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:40:05 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >>> Build It. Share It. Profit. Can Open Source Hardware Work?
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> free for | anyone to use, modify, or sell. Banzi and his team have
    >>> spent precious | billable hours making the thing, and they sell it
    >>> themselves for a small

    >> "precious"
    >>
    >>> | profit while allowing anyone else to do the same. They're not |
    >>> alone in this

    >> "small profit"
    >>
    >>> | experiment. In a loosely coordinated movement, dozens of hardware |
    >>> inventors

    >> "loosely coordinated"

    >>> open | source synthesizers, MP3 players, guitar amplifiers, and even
    >>> high-end | voice-over-IP phone routers. You can buy an open source
    >>> mobile phone to talk | on, and a chip company called VIA has just
    >>> released an open source laptop: | Anyone can take its design, fabricate
    >>> it, and start selling the | notebooks.

    >> Crazy eh? Someone will undercut them and they will go bust. Then the
    >> copycat will hoist its prices. Welcome to the real world.

    >>> Linus | Torvalds announced it. Nobody believed a bunch of part-time
    >>> volunteers could | create something as complex as an operating system,
    >>> or that it would | be more

    >> Huh? university under grads were doing it all the time.

    >>> trust | software that couldn't be "owned." Yet 17 years later, the open
    >>> source | software movement has been crucial to the Cambrian explosion
    >>> of the Web | economy. Linux enabled Google to build dirt-cheap servers;
    >>> Java and | Perl and

    >> Don't be ridiculous. It didn't enable any such thing. It saved them a
    >> few quid per machine.

    > Yea verily, the Oracle hast articulated and mere mortals gasp at the
    > sheer audacity of his pronouncements.
    >
    > Plonker.

    Nice sig. Now would you like to contribute anything?

    --
    "If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two."

  5. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    >> Hadron snotted:

    >>> Don't be ridiculous. It didn't enable any such thing. It saved them a
    >>> few quid per machine.

    Poor "true Linux advocate" Hadron Quack. You just can't let a pro-Linux
    comment go by without snotting on it, can you?

  6. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    Verily I say unto thee, that SomeBloke spake thusly:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:40:05 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    [snip his usual rant against anything virtuous]

    > Yea verily, the Oracle hast articulated and mere mortals gasp at the
    > sheer audacity of his pronouncements.

    Yes his message is loud and clear: Greed and exploitation good,
    subsistence and Freedom bad. This is what happens in the Real World®,
    and the Real World® way is the "right" way, and should therefore never
    be challenged.

    He's not only an idiot and a pathological naysayer, but a sick;
    perverted; morally depraved; evil bastard, and damned proud of it too.
    He should form a coven with his soul mates DooFuS; flatty; Dopez-0.99;
    "****stick" Nudds and the various other slithering monsters of the night
    who infest COLA, so they can boil live babies in a cauldron, and sit
    around the fire singing joyfully about the suffering their kind inflicts
    on humanity, whilst they cannibalise their own young.

    Well it happens in Real Life®, so it has to be "OK". In fact if you're
    Hardon Quirk, it's not only OK to be so morally depraved, it's actually
    the whole purpose of life.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:14:40 up 12 days, 13:10, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.09

  7. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

  8. Re: [News] Arduino Board: Hardware Takes Lesson from Free Software

    Homer wrote regarding "Hadron" Quark:

    >He's not only an idiot and a pathological naysayer, but a sick;
    >perverted; morally depraved; evil bastard, and damned proud of it too.
    >He should form a coven with his soul mates DooFuS; flatty; Dopez-0.99;
    >"****stick" Nudds and the various other slithering monsters of the night
    >who infest COLA, so they can boil live babies in a cauldron, and sit
    >around the fire singing joyfully about the suffering their kind inflicts
    >on humanity, whilst they cannibalise their own young.
    >
    >Well it happens in Real Life, so it has to be "OK". In fact if you're
    >Hardon Quirk, it's not only OK to be so morally depraved, it's actually
    >the whole purpose of life.

    Don't hold back - tell us what you really think, Homer. 8)

    Quack is indeed a disgusting POS.

+ Reply to Thread