Windows Update Isn't Listening

,----[ Quote ]
| I was out of the office most of last week, traveling on business. My system
| has quite a few automated tasks that run, so I tend to leave it running even
| when I'm away. I returned to the office to find the system had rebooted, with
| a message that Windows Update had applied patches. There's just one problem:
| I don't use that option.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...SSfeed_IWK_ALL

The dangers of proprietary software. The user is controlled by the PC, which
phones home without permission.

[H]omer wrote about it last year. Microsoft's 'bug' has not been fixed since
then.

Recent:

Windows Vista update 'kills' USB devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted it is investigating reports that a recent Windows
| Vista security update causes havoc with some USB devices, but the software
| giant is yet to provide a fix for the ****-up. ¬*
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._defender_sp1/

Microsoft Admits Vista Update Glitch

,----[ Quote ]
| A patch to prepare for first service pack went to users of editions that
| didn't need the update.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141317/article.html

Related:

Vistas first 2008 ‚Äėreliability‚Äô update blue screens

,----[ Quote ]
| After my laptop installed the batch of updates released on the 9th of January
| my laptop began endlessly rebooting. It blue screens as soon as is starts to
| load Vista. To make things even better even safe mode does the same thing. ¬*
`----

http://grantusmaximus.com/web/2008/0...-blue-screens/

Vista Update Craters Microsoft Word

,----[ Quote ]