Open Source in Mobile Phones: Challenges for Software Vendors

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is the emerging development methodology for mobile phones,
| reducing operational costs, harnessing innovation and shortening time to
| market for new devices and services. With both Nokia and Google already
| choosing an open source model for their mobile platforms over the past twelve
| months, the pressure is on independent software vendors (ISVs) in the mobile
| market to adopt an open source strategy.
`----

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/34206.php

Digium|Asterisk World Conference Web Site Launched, Online Registration Open

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology Marketing Corporation (TMC(R) and Digium(R), the Asterisk(R)
| Company, today announced that online registration is now open for the
| upcoming Digium|Asterisk World(TM) conference. The companies also announced
| the launch of the completely revamped event Web site at
| www.digiumasteriskworld.com.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...0%7D&dist=hppr

Earlier:

The industrious revolutionary

,----[ Quote ]
| Android has been developed using open-source technology, which is freely
| available for anyone who wishes to use it or improve it. Google's next step
| is likely to be the gPhone, which could be a fierce rival for Apple's wildly
| hyped iPhone.
|
| According to this version of the future, Google and other open-source
| advocates will eventually crush proprietary companies like Apple and
| Microsoft unless they, too, see the light.
|
| "The only positive result of America invading Iraq was that it persuaded
| China to go open-source," Dryden enthuses. "Now China has slashed the price
| of laptop computers by 90 per cent by making them without an operating
| system, which you can download for free off the net."
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10537980

The Impact of Open Source VoIP

,----[ Quote ]
| The second part of the story of the impact of Open Source VoIP to the whole
| telecom market is made of softphones and stacks. Ekiga (formerly known as
| GnomeMeeting), Linphone or PhoneGaim, just to name some, have been a great
| source of knowledge for new entrant developers in this field and a great way
| for providers to offer a cheap way to make phone calls from your PC.
`----

http://www.lucafiligheddu.com/2008/0...urce-voip.html

Related:

Asterisk is More Than Just a Phone System

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally, I can think of about 25 things (don’t worry I am not competing)
| that I have heard people do with Asterisk and as the visibility and viability
| of open source communications continues to grow, more and more applications
| and uses are coming out each and every day. In a effort to have a little fun
| and to catalog the many uses and applications of Asterisk, VoIP Supply has
| partnered with Digium, the creators of Asterisk, to run a contest here on the
| VoIP Insider to find 101 things you can do with Asterisk.
`----

http://blog.voipsupply.com/asterisk-...-with-asterisk

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]