Re: The oh so stable Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The oh so stable Linux - Linux ; On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:42:53 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote: > Hell, if it happens with frequency just cronjob the thing and it can > take care of itself. If they're using Windwoes (my guess) they're > already accustomed to ...

  1. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:42:53 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Hell, if it happens with frequency just cronjob the thing and it can
    > take care of itself. If they're using Windwoes (my guess) they're
    > already accustomed to long timeouts. They wouldn't even notice a
    > split-second glitch every hour and a half that reset the rules. More
    > than likely the desktops would all be in the middle of one of their
    > frequent 10-second confused states anyway.

    They can't have dropped phone calls. And that's what happens when you
    cycle everything.

    I'm sorry, but it's not acceptable to simply cron a script to reload
    everything once a day. And so they want to buy a Watchguard now, because
    Linux just freaks out (nevermind the fact that Watchguard runs linux, but
    they have their own custom firwall software, they're not using iptables).

  2. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=676548

    Old 03-08-2008, 10:22 AM
    mgphoto

    I went from the Watchguard to a Sonicwall to a linux based firewall
    (and some other top secret devices).

    I found the Watchguard a very poor performer and not very flexiable.

    Right now I'm using a Xeon and a raid 5 setup with 2 Gb of ram and 1
    Gb NICs. It's very fast and provides more than enough for up to about
    140 Mbs.

    I'd suggest you look at something like fwbuilder for your software.

    --
    The greatest disloyalty one can offer to great pioneers is to refuse to
    move an inch from where they stood.

  3. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:27:47 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:42:53 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> Hell, if it happens with frequency just cronjob the thing and it can
    >> take care of itself. If they're using Windwoes (my guess) they're
    >> already accustomed to long timeouts. They wouldn't even notice a
    >> split-second glitch every hour and a half that reset the rules. More
    >> than likely the desktops would all be in the middle of one of their
    >> frequent 10-second confused states anyway.

    > They can't have dropped phone calls. And that's what happens when you
    > cycle everything.

    Bull****.

    Cyclists cycle, Iptables reload. We can't expect you to know the
    difference tho.

    > I'm sorry, but it's not acceptable to simply cron a script to reload
    > everything once a day. And so they want to buy a Watchguard now,
    > because Linux just freaks out (nevermind the fact that Watchguard runs
    > linux, but they have their own custom firwall software, they're not
    > using iptables).

    Didn't the customer also hang himself, so riddled with despair over his
    non working Linux box built by an incompetent lying Linux admin of a
    Wintroll ?

    And after he hung himself, didn't he burn his failed business to the
    ground in a fire that also engulfed the nearby homeless Childrens
    Orphanage burning alive 500 pretty young girls under 7 years old, their
    cuddly teddy bears and their caring Nuns as they slept ?

    I'm sure there's more ?

  4. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Terry Porter wrote:

    >Didn't the customer also hang himself, so riddled with despair over his
    >non working Linux box built by an incompetent lying Linux admin of a
    >Wintroll ?

    LOL

+ Reply to Thread