"Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary softwareis over" - Linux

This is a discussion on "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary softwareis over" - Linux ; Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a lunchtime interview on Thursday. "I actually think the war between proprietary and ...

  1. "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary softwareis over"

    Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies

    "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed
    source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a
    lunchtime interview on Thursday.

    "I actually think the war between proprietary and open source is a
    thing of the past," he said.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10068367-56.html

    Horacio: In addition to saying "the war is over", you still need to
    add "and we lost".

    -RFH

  2. Re: "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary softwareis over"

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies
    >
    > "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed
    > source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a
    > lunchtime interview on Thursday.
    >
    > "I actually think the war between proprietary and open source is a
    > thing of the past," he said.
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10068367-56.html
    >
    > Horacio: In addition to saying "the war is over", you still need to
    > add "and we lost".

    This is another Linux-Pimp's post. From one Linux-Pimp to all the other
    Linux-Pimps listen to him now as you're being pimped.

  3. Re: "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary software is over"

    Ramon F Herrera writes:

    > Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies
    >
    > "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed
    > source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a
    > lunchtime interview on Thursday.
    >
    > "I actually think the war between proprietary and open source is a
    > thing of the past," he said.
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10068367-56.html
    >
    > Horacio: In addition to saying "the war is over", you still need to
    > add "and we lost".
    >
    > -RFH

    How on earth did they lose? The best OSS apps work on Windows too and,
    in the case of firefox, compete with MS SW which ships free with the
    OSS. If anything Linux loses unfortunately because with all of the great
    SW being multi-platform there is even less reason to move to Linux.

    --
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our

  4. Re: "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietarysoftware is over"

    On Oct 19, 8:32 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies
    >
    > "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed
    > source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a
    > lunchtime interview on Thursday.
    >
    > "I actually think the war between proprietary and open source is a
    > thing of the past," he said.
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10068367-56.html
    >
    > Horacio: In addition to saying "the war is over", you still need to
    > add "and we lost".
    >
    > -RFH

    Congratulations! One post generates four replies by trolls! And they
    complain about Roy "spamming".

  5. Re: "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary software is over"

    wrote in message
    > On Oct 19, 8:32 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies
    >>
    >> "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed
    >> source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a
    >> lunchtime interview on Thursday.
    >>
    >> "I actually think the war between proprietary and open source is a
    >> thing of the past," he said.
    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10068367-56.html
    >>
    >> Horacio: In addition to saying "the war is over", you still need to
    >> add "and we lost".
    >>
    >> -RFH

    > Congratulations! One post generates four replies by trolls! And they
    > complain about Roy "spamming".

    Five replies counting your own! I bet that Roy would be be estatic if he
    could get his average up to 1 reply!

  6. Re: "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietary software is over"

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera writes:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft: We're all 'mixed source' companies
    >>>
    >>> "Today, but increasingly in the future, we are all going to be 'mixed
    >>> source'," Microsoft's top intellectual property lawyer said in a
    >>> lunchtime interview on Thursday.
    >>>
    >>> "I actually think the war between proprietary and open source is a
    >>> thing of the past," he said.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10068367-56.html
    >>>
    >>> Horacio: In addition to saying "the war is over", you still need to
    >>> add "and we lost".
    >>>
    >>> -RFH
    >>>

    >> How on earth did they lose? The best OSS apps work on Windows too and,
    >> in the case of firefox, compete with MS SW which ships free with the
    >> OSS. If anything Linux loses unfortunately because with all of the great
    >> SW being multi-platform there is even less reason to move to Linux.

    > 1) The fact that Firefox and OpenOffice run on all major OSes implies
    > that they have more users and therefore attract more funding and
    > justify more effort than if they were Linux-only. Therefore they are
    > of higher quality than if they were Linux-only.

    Which is my point.

    More users mean better quality through more feedback.

    Nothing more. Nothing less.

  7. Re: "Microsoft thinks the battle of open source vs. proprietarysoftware is over"

    "Hadron" stated in post
    gdjd4r$nr4$2@registered.motzarella.org on 10/20/08 7:01 PM:

    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> How on earth did they lose? The best OSS apps work on Windows too and,
    >>> in the case of firefox, compete with MS SW which ships free with the
    >>> OSS. If anything Linux loses unfortunately because with all of the great
    >>> SW being multi-platform there is even less reason to move to Linux.

    >> 1) The fact that Firefox and OpenOffice run on all major OSes implies
    >> that they have more users and therefore attract more funding and
    >> justify more effort than if they were Linux-only. Therefore they are
    >> of higher quality than if they were Linux-only.

    > Which is my point.
    >
    > More users mean better quality through more feedback.
    >
    > Nothing more. Nothing less.

    The makers of both OO and FF get the importance of an excellent UI, not just
    within their programs but to fit in with the environments they run in.

    When will the "advocates" of COLA get the importance of that?

    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.

+ Reply to Thread