[News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India

    India - Enter the patent troll

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So it was interesting to read a report that the biggest ands scariest one of
    | them all, Intellectual Ventures, founded by the redoubtable Nathan Myhrvold,
    | had come to India. Intellectual Ventures, according to the Wall Street
    | Journal, has more than 20,000 patents and patent applications “related to
    | everything from lasers to computer chips”. Myhrvold was the chief strategist
    | and chief technology officer of Microsoft before he sent up Intellectual
    | Ventures, an idea that he owes to Bill Gates. Microsoft had a huge patent
    | liability problem with a seemingly endless line of people suing the company
    | for infringement of their patents. It was then that Myhrvold came up with the
    | idea of accumulating patents under one roof to manage them better. His
    | rationale: it is more efficient for companies to deal with him than thousands
    | of patent holders. The transaction costs alone make it worthwhile for
    | companies to pay Intellectual Ventures its steep fees.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Intellectual Ventures debut here coincides with the news that CSIR is
    | considering a move to transfer its patent lode to an independent holding
    | company that will manage it professionally. The patents would be monetised in
    | various ways, licensing being one option.
    `----

    http://spoonfeedin.blogspot.com/2008...ent-troll.html

    They should report Microsoft and Intellectual Venture to the Indian military.
    These dangerous people are attempting aggressive occupation through political
    corruption (buying new laws) accompanied by extortion (threats to businesses).
    They try to liaise and recruit partners (in crime, i.e. accomplices) to loot
    the country with.

    Recent:

    Tech Guru Riles the Industry By Seeking Huge Patent Fees

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Millionaire Nathan Myhrvold, renowned in the computer industry as a
    | Renaissance man, has a less lofty message for tech companies these days: Pay
    | up.
    |
    | Over the past few years, the former Microsoft Corp. executive has quietly
    | amassed a trove of 20,000-plus patents and patent applications related to
    | everything from lasers to computer chips. He now ranks among the world's
    | largest patent-holders -- and is using that clout to press tech giants to
    | sign some of the costliest patent-licensing deals ever negotiated.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...googlenews_wsj

    Controversial patent buyer to start Indian operations in Oct

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | New Delhi: Individual inventors and research organizations here may find
    | their patents turning liquid with the imminent entry of Intellectual Ventures
    | Llc., a controversial company that owns an estimated 20,000 patents and is in
    | the market for as many more as it can lay its hands on.
    |
    | The company has already entered into agreements to buy patents from the
    | Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology,
    | Bombay, and is close to signing an agreement with the Council for Scientific
    | and Industrial Research, India’s largest research and development
    | organization, said a person familiar with the developments who did not want
    | to be named.
    `----

    http://www.livemint.com/2008/09/2500...-buyer-to.html

    Intellectual Ventures turns its attention to India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intellectual Ventures is moving into India says a report published this
    | weekend. According to the Wall Street Journal’s Livemint Lounge, IV has
    | signed deals to acquire patents from the Indian Institute of Science,
    | Bangalore, IIT in Bombay, while it is close to signing an agreement with
    | Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
    |
    | What the report does not say is whether this is a deal for Indian patents,
    | for US patents or for patents internationally. My guess is that there is
    | going to have to be a pretty substantial international element. On that
    | front, it is worth noting that CSIR is by far the biggest Indian filer of
    | international patent applications, filing over 350 in the US alone between
    | 2005 and 2007.
    `----

    http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...9-a7b63e1fdd44

    Litigating against innovation: Legal attacks on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Patents and how they're controlled are damaging the way technology is
    | developed - and the Linux case is a key example of this.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Litigation as a mode of business is fashionable in the current climate, but
    | offers little or nothing of benefit to users or developers. Authorial
    | copyrights in the US have been extended to 70 years after the author's death.
    | The law that made this possible, the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act,
    | was passed in 1998. Patent law, meanwhile, increasingly protects the
    | interests of the powerful, encroaches upon notions of innovation and freedom
    | to operate, and is used to inhibit competition. Both are in critical need of
    | reform.
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/1997...-on-linux.html

    Memo to Microsoft: Put up or shut up on patent claims

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They have signed innumerable contracts based on the claims, contracts which
    | assume the truth of the claims, and caused the production of products whose
    | chief *selling point is that their makers admit the legitimacy of the claims.
    |
    | Microsoft seems in no hurry to change the status quo. They are not going to
    | put up, in the form of a lawsuit. They are not going to shut up, either,
    | given the commercial advantages they have created.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2460

    'PatentGate,' one year later: Microsoft against the open-source world

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Claiming you have IP that folks are infringing isn't the same thing as
    | proving it," wrote Pamela Jones, author of the open-source legal blog
    | Groklaw.net, in an e-mail. "I think they [Microsoft] are in a weaker position
    | because they did the [cross-licensing] deals. It makes them look needy,
    | like they can't make it any more without Linux."
    |
    | "The [legal] threat [to open-source] is no greater" today than a year ago,
    | wrote Mark Radcliffe, a lawyer with DLA Piper's Silicon Valley office and the
    | general counsel of the Open Source Initiative, which oversees the approval of
    | open-source software licenses, in an e-mail.
    |
    | Take Redmond's attempts to persuade vendors to sign cross-licensing deals
    | that include protection from potential open-source patent lawsuits by
    | Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    Related:

    Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
    | unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
    | executive for Sun Microsystems.
    `----

    Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
    | market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
    | at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
    |
    | The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
    | software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
    | with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
    | beginning to show.
    `----

    http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?...soft_Terrorism

    Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
    | it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
    | is to provoke fear.
    |
    | If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
    | you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
    | of the American people as they never have before in the history of
    | the country.
    `----

    http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 00:48:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  4. India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    In article <2173619.vgWjIPassk@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > I suppose it's better than the rats they have running all over the place
    > > there.

    > Yes, use racism, Gary. SweatyB would give you a raise.

    How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 02:31:09 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Moshe Goldfarb. on Monday 20 October 2008 01:21 : \____
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 00:48:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> India - Enter the patent troll

    >> I suppose it's better than the rats they have running all over the place
    >> there.

    > Yes, use racism, Gary. SweatyB would give you a raise.
    >
    > NOT.

    Racism?

    I never realized rats could be racisist.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIzkNa5tMM

    One again you prove that you are a bumbling idiot Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:01:28 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <2173619.vgWjIPassk@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> I suppose it's better than the rats they have running all over the place
    >>> there.

    >> Yes, use racism, Gary. SweatyB would give you a raise.

    > How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    > known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    > article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    Hi Tim.
    Just saw your post.
    I replied to that boob Schestowitz.

    FWIW The History Channel just had show on about rat worship in India.
    I had to turn it off because it gave me the creeps.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:01:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Tim Smith on Monday 20 October 2008 05:01 : \____

    >>> Yes, use racism, Gary. SweatyB would give you a raise.

    >> How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    >> known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    >> article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    > Get a life, harlow-monkeys. You knew well what your buddy Gary had meant. It
    > was an off-topic insult.

    You still here?
    For the record it wasn't a racist remark.
    Only a complete boob like you, Roy Schestowitz, could concoct something
    like that from what I said.

    You seem to be a natural at twisting subjects, topics and statements.
    Maybe you should consider a career in advertising?
    That's if you ever get out of school.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

  10. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    ____/ Moshe Goldfarb. on Monday 20 October 2008 15:21 : \____

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:01:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> ____/ Tim Smith on Monday 20 October 2008 05:01 : \____

    >>> How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    >>> known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    >>> article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    >> Get a life, harlow-monkeys. You knew well what your buddy Gary had meant. It
    >> was an off-topic insult.

    > You still here?
    > For the record it wasn't a racist remark.
    > Only a complete boob like you, Roy Schestowitz, could concoct something
    > like that from what I said.
    >
    > You seem to be a natural at twisting subjects, topics and statements.
    > Maybe you should consider a career in advertising?
    > That's if you ever get out of school.

    Maybe you should should consider having a life?
    That's if you ever a family. It must have fled from your intolerable behavior.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"
    run-level 5 Oct 15 15:52 last=S

  11. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >> You seem to be a natural at twisting subjects, topics and statements.

    Sounds like your buddy "Hadron", flat****. He routinely calls good,
    honest people "liars" based on his fsckwitted misinterpretations.

    >Maybe you should should consider having a life?

    He should consider fscking-off and dying.

  12. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    In article <7484262.26B2MzB1ob@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > >> Yes, use racism, Gary. SweatyB would give you a raise.

    > > How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    > > known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    > > article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    > Get a life, harlow-monkeys. You knew well what your buddy Gary had meant. It
    > was an off-topic insult.

    How was it racist?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:41:31 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    >>> known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    >>> article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    >> Get a life, harlow-monkeys. You knew well what your buddy Gary had meant. It
    >> was an off-topic insult.

    > How was it racist?

    I think Roy has gone back into hiding.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

  15. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    Tim Smith writes:

    >> > How exactly is it racist for him to make a reference to India's well
    >> > known problem with rats? Here are some articles about it (plus one cool
    >> > article about rats that aren't a problem), spanning 30 years.

    >> Get a life, harlow-monkeys. You knew well what your buddy Gary had meant. It
    >> was an off-topic insult.

    > How was it racist?

    It wasn't. But it says a lot about Roy and his views of India and
    Indians if he considered it to be so. He gets worse the more he
    posts. We can add "racist" to his qualifications now.

    --
    "Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  16. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    In article <1589792.mupGAarc0Y@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > > How was it racist?

    > Ask me tomorrow when my filters are on again.

    India has a well documented rat problem. His comment is no more racist
    than if he had commented on a story about patents in Louisiana with "I
    suppose it's better than the hurricanes they have all over the place
    there" or if he had commented on a story on patents in Africa with "I
    suppose its better than the malaria they have there".

    The fact that you automatically assume that a comment mentioning rats in
    India must be about the people of India, rather than the well-known
    actual rats, indicates at racism--but on your part, not his.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  17. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:07:03 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> How was it racist?

    >> Ask me tomorrow when my filters are on again.

    > India has a well documented rat problem. His comment is no more racist
    > than if he had commented on a story about patents in Louisiana with "I
    > suppose it's better than the hurricanes they have all over the place
    > there" or if he had commented on a story on patents in Africa with "I
    > suppose its better than the malaria they have there".

    That's exactly how it was supposed to be perceived.

    > The fact that you automatically assume that a comment mentioning rats in
    > India must be about the people of India, rather than the well-known
    > actual rats, indicates at racism--but on your part, not his.

    Roy Schestowitz has clearly gone off the rails.
    His ICQ BN logs show this to be quite evident.

    Seriously Roy, if you are reading this, I think you need to take some time
    off, sit down and ponder your future.
    You seem like a bright person with a great deal of discipline and someone
    who really could have a good life, career, family etc in your future.

    Why are you allowing all this patent, Linux vs xxxyyzz, Microsoft hate and
    so forth consume you?

    It really seems like such a waste.
    (Honestly).

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> > How was it racist?

    >> Ask me tomorrow when my filters are on again.

    > India has a well documented rat problem.

    Actually, many people there don't think of rats as a problem. They
    leave food out for them.

    (No, I didn't google that up. Even better I saw it on
    teevee, duuhhhh).

    I've never gotten used to the social dysfunction of people in my
    discipline, programming. An ability to deal with heavy details in code,
    but not with the simplest social context in a conversation.

    Some dude once posted a notice about "network scanning" for "the
    printer". When I asked him what he meant by that, he answered
    that, since I did not know what it was, I probably had no need for it.

    Turns out it was the ability to scan a document and dump the data to a
    file over the network. But I got that answer from someone else.

    "Say, dude, do you know what time it is?"

    "Yes."

    --
    It is the wisdom of crocodiles, that shed tears when they would devour.
    -- Francis Bacon

  19. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Ask me tomorrow when my filters are on again.

    >> India has a well documented rat problem.

    > Actually, many people there don't think of rats as a problem. They
    > leave food out for them.

    Not that many. There is a small sect who worship the rat Goddess, Karni Mata (and yes
    I did have to Google the name as I had forgotten it).

    > (No, I didn't google that up. Even better I saw it on
    > teevee, duuhhhh).
    >
    > I've never gotten used to the social dysfunction of people in my
    > discipline, programming. An ability to deal with heavy details in code,
    > but not with the simplest social context in a conversation.

    Seriously, what are you talking about? Are you drinking?!?!?

    > Some dude once posted a notice about "network scanning" for "the
    > printer". When I asked him what he meant by that, he answered
    > that, since I did not know what it was, I probably had no need for it.
    >
    > Turns out it was the ability to scan a document and dump the data to a
    > file over the network. But I got that answer from someone else.
    >
    > "Say, dude, do you know what time it is?"
    >
    > "Yes."

    Err, ... Nurse!

    --
    "Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  20. Re: India and rats (was Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Trolls Infesting India)

    Tim Smith wrote:

    >India has a well documented rat problem.

    So does cola. They go by names like amicus_curius and hardon_quirk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast