[News] Examples of New (and Happy) GNU/Linux Converts - Linux

  1. [News] Examples of New (and Happy) GNU/Linux Converts

    Why good people make bad OS choices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For my mother-in-law, I picked her up an ASUS Eee 900A, which runs Xandros
    | Linux for, with sales tax, just over $300. She loves it and she's been
    | reading the Miami Herald news using Firefox and playing solitaire like a
    | fiend for the last day and a half.
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/why_g...bad_os_choices

    R.I.P. - Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It’s true that Ubuntu has some quirks for the user switching from XP, but
    | I’ve found these quirks to be a byproduct of 15 years of Windows use - not
    | any inherent problem with Ubuntu itself. In fact, once I get used to the
    | Ubuntu way of doing things, they’re almost universally better.
    |
    | I have debated for 3 years making the switch to a linux distro, and after 2
    | weeks of making the switch, this is all I have to say:
    |
    | Goodbye Windows XP. May you rest in peace.
    `----

    http://www.tannerhelland.com/2008/10...ver-out-of-me/

    *Not* Apple is Microsoft's #1 rival. Microsoft says it Linux, and this is why.

    Recent:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | work to do."
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

    The Power of Perception

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A campaign featuring Jerry Seinfeld may well succeed in changing this and
    | convincing consumers to run Vista. But will it change the perceptions of IT
    | professionals in large organizations? I wouldn't bet against it. We all like
    | to think we are rational agents, but in reality we are all still susceptible
    | to advertising — even Microsoft's.
    |
    | Let's take a look at the Linux market. Linux has many things going for it,
    | yet it makes up just 13.4 percent of total server revenue. (Don't forget,
    | many servers run Linux but don't generate revenue for vendors.)
    `----

    http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3769301

  2. Re: [News] Examples of New (and Happy) GNU/Linux Converts

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:58:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Why good people make bad OS choices

    Because they think that they are getting something for *Free*.
    They quickly realize that while the OS is free, their time is being sucked
    up at an enormous rate trying to make the thing, Linux, work.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Examples of New (and Happy) GNU/Linux Converts

  4. Re: [News] Examples of New (and Happy) GNU/Linux Converts

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 01:00:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Moshe Goldfarb. on Monday 20 October 2008 00:27 : \____
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:58:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Why good people make bad OS choices

    >> Because they think that they are getting something for *Free*.
    >> They quickly realize that while the OS is free, their time is being sucked
    >> up at an enormous rate trying to make the thing, Linux, work

    > Sounds like Windows. You surely haven't installed it recently, Gary. You need
    > to get out more.

    You're right, I haven't installed Windows recently.
    Why?
    Because it just keeps on working.

    As for Linux, I just installed Mint Linux and while it's a heck of a lot
    prettier than Ubuntu, the problems begin right from the start.

    What problems you ask?

    Well, try and play a sound or look at a video etc and get a message that
    says "audio device is in use by another application" .
    Nice.....

    It's just typical, untested Linux and Mint is one of the better
    distributions.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: