[News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache - Linux ; Few will have noticed, but Microsoft's Jim Kellerman just announced that he and a Microsoft colleague have "been cleared to contribute patches again" to Apache, and specifically to the Hadoop project. This is how it will go. Purely in order ...

  1. [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

    Few will have noticed, but Microsoft's Jim Kellerman just announced
    that he and a Microsoft colleague have "been cleared to contribute
    patches again" to Apache, and specifically to the Hadoop project.

    This is how it will go. Purely in order to “improve” the performance
    of Apache and Hadoop on the Windows platform, Microsoft will helpfully
    offer some really cool hacks....which will of course only work on the
    Windows platform.

    This will effectively fork the Apache/Hadoop/whatever code – all for
    the good of their communities. Of course, there may be some “patented”
    technologies in there, but Microsoft will promise never, ever to sue
    anyone using this “optimised” open source – cross its heart and hope
    to die. Look for Microsoft to get involved with other leading open
    source projects in the same way.

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...4&entryid=1407

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:23:05 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    wrote:

    > Few will have noticed, but Microsoft's Jim Kellerman just announced
    > that he and a Microsoft colleague have "been cleared to contribute
    > patches again" to Apache, and specifically to the Hadoop project.
    >
    > This is how it will go. Purely in order to ˇ§improveˇ¨ the performance
    > of Apache and Hadoop on the Windows platform, Microsoft will helpfully
    > offer some really cool hacks....which will of course only work on the
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > This will effectively fork the Apache/Hadoop/whatever code ˇV all for
    > the good of their communities. Of course, there may be some ˇ§patentedˇ¨
    > technologies in there, but Microsoft will promise never, ever to sue
    > anyone using this ˇ§optimisedˇ¨ open source ˇV cross its heart and hope
    > to die. Look for Microsoft to get involved with other leading open
    > source projects in the same way.
    >

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...4&entryid=1407

    Good.
    Maybe Microsoft can fix everything that broken with OSS programs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Few will have noticed, but Microsoft's Jim Kellerman just announced
    > that he and a Microsoft colleague have "been cleared to contribute
    > patches again" to Apache, and specifically to the Hadoop project.

    Me thinks these guys should not be allowed in so easily.
    Open source projects like apache have to be managed in a business
    like manner and it should hurt micoshaft if and when they decide
    to join. Micoshaft and who ever should be forced to make deep
    concessions to the extent markets can bear. In micoshaft's case,
    they should be forced to irrevocably open source large chunks of their
    web server to GPL for instance before they are allowed in.
    And be sure to let them do that first before allowing them in
    because you won't be collecting afterwards if they decide to back track.

    > This is how it will go. Purely in order to ?improve? the performance
    > of Apache and Hadoop on the Windows platform, Microsoft will helpfully
    > offer some really cool hacks....which will of course only work on the
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > This will effectively fork the Apache/Hadoop/whatever code ? all for
    > the good of their communities. Of course, there may be some ?patented?
    > technologies in there, but Microsoft will promise never, ever to sue
    > anyone using this ?optimised? open source ? cross its heart and hope
    > to die. Look for Microsoft to get involved with other leading open
    > source projects in the same way.
    >

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs

    index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1407

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:34:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Moshe Goldfarb. on Sunday 19 October 2008 20:04 : \____
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:23:05 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Few will have noticed, but Microsoft's Jim Kellerman just announced
    >>> that he and a Microsoft colleague have "been cleared to contribute
    >>> patches again" to Apache, and specifically to the Hadoop project.
    >>>
    >>> This is how it will go. Purely in order to ˇ§improveˇ¨ the performance
    >>> of Apache and Hadoop on the Windows platform, Microsoft will helpfully
    >>> offer some really cool hacks....which will of course only work on the
    >>> Windows platform.
    >>>
    >>> This will effectively fork the Apache/Hadoop/whatever code ˇV all for
    >>> the good of their communities. Of course, there may be some ˇ§patentedˇ¨
    >>> technologies in there, but Microsoft will promise never, ever to sue
    >>> anyone using this ˇ§optimisedˇ¨ open source ˇV cross its heart and hope
    >>> to die. Look for Microsoft to get involved with other leading open
    >>> source projects in the same way.
    >>>

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...4&entryid=1407
    >>
    >> Good.
    >> Maybe Microsoft can fix everything that broken with OSS programs.

    > They are more likely to 'contribute' patches that assist deployment on Windows
    > at guess-whose-expense.

    Who cares?
    People use software to perform tasks, they are much less interested in
    freedom fighting, if even at all.

    That's where you guys go off the platter.
    When you start with the freedom fighting, patent this patent that and all
    the other gibberish you and your click seem to love to talk about, you've
    just lost average Joe.
    Why?
    Because he doesn't care.

    The one hope you do have is for DRM to become *really* unpopular, to the
    point that boycotting occurs in average Joe's circle of users.
    Spore has touched a lot of nerves, but let's see how far it goes or if it
    just dies out.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Moshe Goldfarb. on Sunday 19 October 2008 20:04 : \____
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:23:05 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Few will have noticed, but Microsoft's Jim Kellerman just announced
    >>> that he and a Microsoft colleague have "been cleared to contribute
    >>> patches again" to Apache, and specifically to the Hadoop project.
    >>>
    >>> This is how it will go. Purely in order to “improve” the performance
    >>> of Apache and Hadoop on the Windows platform, Microsoft will helpfully
    >>> offer some really cool hacks....which will of course only work on the
    >>> Windows platform.
    >>>
    >>> This will effectively fork the Apache/Hadoop/whatever code – all for
    >>> the good of their communities. Of course, there may be some “patented”
    >>> technologies in there, but Microsoft will promise never, ever to sue
    >>> anyone using this “optimised” open source – cross its heart and hope
    >>> to die. Look for Microsoft to get involved with other leading open
    >>> source projects in the same way.
    >>>

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...4&entryid=1407
    >>
    >> Good.
    >> Maybe Microsoft can fix everything that broken with OSS programs.

    > They are more likely to 'contribute' patches that assist deployment on Windows
    > at guess-whose-expense.

    Besides, they've had years to fix what's broken in Windows, and yet, the
    best selling windows applications are first-aid kits for windows
    (anti-virus etc).

    Frankly, I'd be more worried about Micrsoft beginning to infect such
    projects with Windows problems, thus bringing foss down to the level of
    Windows, rather than anything else.

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft "Improves" Apache

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 20 October 2008 11:32 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> ____/ Moshe Goldfarb. on Sunday 19 October 2008 20:04 : \____

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...4&entryid=1407

    >>> Good.
    >>> Maybe Microsoft can fix everything that broken with OSS programs.

    >> They are more likely to 'contribute' patches that assist deployment on
    >> Windows at guess-whose-expense.
    >>

    > Besides, they've had years to fix what's broken in Windows, and yet, the
    > best selling windows applications are first-aid kits for windows
    > (anti-virus etc).
    >
    > Frankly, I'd be more worried about Micrsoft beginning to infect such
    > projects with Windows problems, thus bringing foss down to the level of

    Developers should know better. Microsoft can squash them inside Windows,
    whereas GNU/Linux has a Switzerland-like status.

    Here is a leaked memo about "rat holes" for developers.
    http://boycottnovell.com/comes-vs-mi.../msg00067.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted

+ Reply to Thread