[News] 25 Reasons to Kill DRM - Linux

  1. [News] 25 Reasons to Kill DRM

    25 Arguments for the Elimination of Copy Protection

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Can I begin with a few disclaimers? I believe that people who create things
    | deserve to be rewarded for their efforts. Which means that I think that
    | stealing entertainment and software is wrong. Actually, come to think of it,
    | if there was a form of copy protection that was never a hassle for paying
    | customers but which effectively prevented piracy, I might enthusiastically
    | support it. (Go ahead, mock me if you must–I’ll wait.)
    `----

    http://technologizer.com/2008/10/13/copy-protection/

    Recent:

    No need to burn books you can't read - DRM and public libraries

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As my correspondent says: "After all that I still couldn't open the document
    | (which I've only opened once before) and got this. Now I know I haven't
    | opened the document at another computer because this is my only computer with
    | a printer - so I didn't open it anywhere else. I am never using this service
    | again. The British Library, Microsoft and Adobe can go shove their DRM up
    | their document delivery service exit. "
    |
    | This, let me reiterate, is a public body providing publicly paid-for research
    | to a highly-qualified professional engaged in impeccable work for the public
    | service.
    |
    | It is hard to imagine something more expensive, condescending, inaccurate,
    | frustrating and enraging – nor something better calculated to restrict
    | knowledge and broadcast ignorance.
    |
    | It's almost as if the parties involved actively want to prevent people
    | learning. It certainly feels that way.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

    Wal-Mart Drops DRM Servers, Customers Lose Music

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To those of you who were loyal early adopters of Wal-Mart's music download
    | service, Wal-Mart has a message for you: Say goodbye to your music. Since
    | February Wal-Mart has offered only DRM-free songs for download, but before
    | that customers of Wal-Mart's service could download songs encoded with DRM.
    | BoingBoing picked up an e-mail Wal-Mart sent to its customers saying the DRM
    | servers will be shut down on October 9, making it impossible for customers to
    | transfer their DRM encoded music to a music device or another PC after that
    | date.
    `----

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007820.html

    7digital goes completely DRM free

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ONLINE MUSIC RETAILER 7digital.com has gone completely DRM free following a
    | deal with Sony BMG which allows the sale of its catalogue in blissfully open
    | MP3 format.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...completely-drm

    Rhapsody Opens Fire Against ITunes With DRM-free MP3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Music will come from most of the major record labels, which have increasingly
    | moved to offer tracks without DRM in order to boost the attractiveness of
    | buying music online.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...free_mp3s.html
    http://tinyurl.com/56r4rn

    Torvalds pleased that DRM music is dying

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwar...0.htm?feed=rss

    Adobe, You Piece Of ****!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How was I able to read the book with Adobe Digital Reader version 1.0, but
    | not with 1.5? I could not "authorize" my computer to read the book I paid
    | for, so Adobe simply stole from me!
    `----

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...piece-of-****-

    DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._game_ever.php

    Rhapsody Opens Fire Against ITunes With DRM-free MP3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Music will come from most of the major record labels, which have increasingly
    | moved to offer tracks without DRM in order to boost the attractiveness of
    | buying music online.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...free_mp3s.html

    EA in Spore DRM climbdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Critics claim DRM limiting those who bought the hotly anticipated sim to only
    | three installs amounts to no more than renting the software out, rather than
    | selling it. DRM also prevented players from creating more than one user
    | account per copy of Spore — even though the game's literature specifically
    | states otherwise.
    |
    | As what is now a matter of routine with modern PC games, pirates managed to
    | crack the game's DRM restrictions within a day of the game's release and
    | hosted this de-restricted content on certain nefarious file-sharing websites.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/

    Did 'Spore' copy protections backfire on EA?

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

    DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Spore, a Sim-like game about the evolution of creatures, was recently
    | released as one of the most anticipated games of the year. Our initial
    | impressions were high with the release of SporeCreator. However, Spore itself
    | failed to meet our expectations. In the end, we found the game to be too
    | simple for our tastes.
    `----

    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._game_ever.php

    What EA's botched Spore launch could learn from Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If there is one thing that open source has taught us it's that there
    | are "users" and there are "customers". Odds are that all of your customers
    | will be users first, taking your software for a test drive and then deciding
    | if they want to pay for it. It's all about getting people to consume your
    | software.
    |
    | The video game industry remains one of the last hold-outs in the war against
    | consumption. Instead of encouraging more use, EA royally botched the launch
    | of Spore with a seriously misguided DRM choice.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10041210-62.html

    EA to PC Gamers: “Install 3 times? Buy another copy”

    | This can be triggered via using up your 3 activations and each time you
    | change a piece of hardware, reformat your computer or install/upgrade a new
    | operating system, it takes up one of the activations.
    `----

    http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

    Mass Effect DRM goes too far

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PC GAMERS WHO have had their fill of online activation headaches with Windows
    | will be pretty miffed to hear the latest anti-piracy scheme being dreamed up
    | by top games publishers.
    |
    | In a post on Bioware's forums, producer Derek French has confirmed that two
    | of the biggest PC titles of the year - Will Wright's Spore and the Xbox 360
    | conversion of Mass Effect - will require ongoing, rolling 10-day activation
    | over the internet.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...award-worst-pc

    Related:

    Vista DRM to slow down high-end graphics? [update 1]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We've posted before on how the Vista brand will change the PC gaming
    | market. But how will the OS affect the gameplay experience itself?
    | An in-depth analysis of the operating system's draconian digital
    | rights management features suggests gamers might not be too happy
    | with some of the system's unintended performance effects.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/25/vi...-end-graphics/

    A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
    | CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
    | the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
    | if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
    | make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
    |
    | Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
    | stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
    | such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
    | Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
    | be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
    `----

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...he_itunes.html

    Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

    ,----[ Quote ]

    | [...]
    |
    | With this version of iTunes, users were finding that music
    | subjected to the old download-burn-rip would no longer
    | load onto their iPods.
    `----

    http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10131156.html

  2. Re: [News] 25 Reasons to Kill DRM

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > 25 Arguments for the Elimination of Copy Protection

    This article appears not to say that the real purpose of copy protection is
    to make the customer pay over and over again for the same product.

    In the case of music, that means that the recording companies no longer have
    to risk promoting or supporting new artists, but can simply sit back and
    keep raking it in from an increasingly bland and out of date back
    catalogue.

    In the case of software, it means that the software houses can simply
    recycle outdated rubbish like Windows time and time again, and charge the
    earth for the privilege.

    It's a total subsidy to the large corporates who own the copyrights, and a
    total blight on innovation and excellence.