[News] New Manual Strives to Help Keep Software Free (Libre) - Linux

  1. [News] New Manual Strives to Help Keep Software Free (Libre)

    Open source licence violations manual published

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dutch software engineer Armijn Hemel has just published a manual on how to
    | detect violations of open source software.
    |
    | The GPL Compliance Engineering Guide details how to take apart bootloaders
    | and firmwares, using tools such as Hexdump, Strings and Grep.
    |
    | It even includes soldering instructions to attach a serial cable to a router,
    | as sometimes that is the only way to get access to the system's software.
    |
    | Hemel works at Loohuis, an IT consultancy in the city of Utrecht and is
    | active in the GPL Violations project.
    `----

    http://www.itnews.com.au/News/86993,...published.aspx

    Companies like McAfee are allegedly breaking the law.

    Related:

    McAfee's libel against open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Someone at McAfee thinks that the correlation between botnets and open source
    | is clear, but I am struggling to grasp any connection between the two.
    | Perhaps this is just one more example of McAfee's dubious grasp on reality
    | when it comes to open source. Remember its statement that open-source
    | licensing is a threat to its business?
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-991...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Why Are the Feds Still Gunning for McAfee's Former GC?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But things didn't quite work out that way. Eight years later, Roberts is
    | preparing for his felony trial on two counts of mail fraud, one count of wire
    | fraud, three counts of false Securities and Exchange Commission filings, and
    | one count of falsifying books and records. If convicted on all seven counts,
    | Roberts faces a maximum of 140 years in prison and more than $10 million in
    | fines. He is also fighting a suit by the SEC for securities fraud and is a
    | defendant with McAfee in two derivative suits over backdating. The SEC *
    | complaint called Roberts' repricing "a fraudulent scheme to enrich himself."
    | Roberts pled not guilty to the criminal charges and denied the SEC
    | allegations. * * * *
    |
    | Roberts' attorney, Neal Stephens, a partner at Cooley Godward Kronish in Palo
    | Alto, Calif., said that neither he nor Roberts would comment for this
    | article. McAfee spokesman Joris Evers says, "McAfee does not discuss former
    | employees." *
    `----

    http://www.law.com/jsp/ihc/PubArticl...=1200650739414

    McAfee to pay $13.8 million to settle backdating lawsuits

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | McAfee has taken two major steps toward closing the stock-option backdating
    | scandal that has plagued the company for the past two years.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/94209

    We’re not thieves. We just can’t read contracts (McAfee and Open Source)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) spread about Free/Libre
    | and Open Source (FLOSS) licenses. While companies dependant on older
    | competing business models suggest these licenses are complex or “ambiguous”,
    | the reality is quite the opposite. *
    `----

    http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/insig...d-open-source/
    http://tinyurl.com/39pjml

    McAfee throws some FUD at the GPL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In its annual report, Windows security software vendor McAfee told its
    | investors that open source software licence terms it vaguely characterised
    | as " ambiguous" might "result in unanticipated obligations regarding our
    | products." *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | That statement says several things. First, it reveals that McAfee does use at
    | least some open source software derived code in its products. Second, it
    | betrays that McAfee has misappropriated that open source software and thus is
    | committing copyright infringement, because it doesn't distribute that open
    | source software derivative source code. Third, by calling its products that *
    | include open source software code "proprietary", McAfee shows that it really
    | doesn't want to shoulder its GPL licence obligations, but instead wants to
    | both have its cake and eat it too. * * *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...throws-fud-gpl

  2. Re: [News] New Manual Strives to Help Keep Software Free (Libre)

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:12:24 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Open source licence violations manual published
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Dutch software engineer Armijn Hemel has just published a manual on how to
    >| detect violations of open source software.
    >|
    >| The GPL Compliance Engineering Guide details how to take apart bootloaders
    >| and firmwares, using tools such as Hexdump, Strings and Grep.
    >|
    >| It even includes soldering instructions to attach a serial cable to a router,
    >| as sometimes that is the only way to get access to the system's software.
    >|
    >| Hemel works at Loohuis, an IT consultancy in the city of Utrecht and is
    >| active in the GPL Violations project.

    Looks like the Linux storm troopers are on the prowl.
    What a total waste of time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: