Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.28 - Part 1: ATA support and block layer

,----[ Quote ]
| In the week since the publication of Linux 2.6.27, the kernel developers have
| already integrated more than 4000 patches into the main development tree of
| Linux, from which kernel version 2.6.28 will emerge in late December or early
| January (Linux 2.6.27). A single kernel log that attempted to describe all
| these changes would quickly exceed the time available to most readers, so we
| will deal with the changes made to the various domains of the Linux kernel
| during this development cycle.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/K...--/news/111743

Kernel Log: Ext4 completes development phase as interim step to btrfs

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds has integrated a large collection of patches prepared by (Ext)
| filesystem developer Theodore Ts'o (tytso) into the main development branch
| of Linux. It contains a patch for Ext4 which allows it to present itself as
| ext4 instead of ext4dev. This signals that with the next kernel version
| 2.6.28, the successor to ext3 will finally leave behind its "hot" development
| phase. The kernel developers integrated an early version of Ext4 in the main
| development branch of Linux 2.6.19 in order to jointly develop it to maturity
| there.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/K...btrfs--/111742

2.6.27 adds dual-core Feroceon support

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel patches supporting three new Feroceon-architecture system-on-chip
| (SoC) families from Marvell have been merged into the mainline Linux 2.6.27
| kernel. The patches cover the low-power, dual- and single-core MV7x SoCs, as
| well as Marvell's Kirkwood (88F6000) SoC and upcoming Loki (88RC8480) SoC.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2...81.html?kc=rss

Recent:

Greg K-H Recommends New Kernel Version Naming

,----[ Quote ]
| Greg Kroah-Hartman, Linux developer at Novell, suggests a new naming scheme
| for the Kernel releases on the Kernel mailing list. The four-digit year would
| be included in the name.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/onli...version_naming

Under Kroah-Hartman's proposal the first release of 2009 would be 2009.0.0.

,----[ Quote ]
| I haven't yet seen Andrew Morton or Linus Torvalds weigh in on an opinion on
| this either way. In my own personal opinion, I can certainly see benefits in
| a calendar approach and as a journalist (rather than as a user) it would save
| me the grief of looking up when a kernel came out. *As a user, frankly, I
| don't care. The current numbering system is logical and systematic so I have
| no problems with it.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...mbering-s.html

Kernel Log: No unstable series; Linux 2008.7; dealing with security fixes

,----[ Quote ]
| He does not want to simply drop the 2.6 prefix – he and others do not like
| such high version numbers. That is why he is considering a model that roughly
| corresponds to the year and month – Linux 2.6.26 might then be called 2008.7.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/K...--/news/111143

Kernel Release Numbering Redux

,----[ Quote ]