A really cheap Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| But I just ran across two Linux based Asus Eee PCs, model 900, selling for
| only $300, a price that forgives a multitude of sins.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10067534-33.html

Yesterday:

Netbooks: Cheap young cannibals of laptop PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| PC makers are taking a gamble that the popularity of cheap, portable
| mini-laptops in an economic downturn will offset any business stolen from
| their traditional laptop business.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/reute...49F1T720081016

Netbook explosion takes Acer to number 1, Asus to number 4 in EMEA

,----[ Quote ]
| Netbook sales in EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) have literally
| exploded in the third quarter of 2008, making Acer the top ranking PC vendor
| for the first time ever, while propelling Asus up the ladder into fourth
| place. IDC figures show that growth in notebooks overall has been strong, but
| the take-up of netbooks has been staggering.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21221/53/

Recent:

Intel CEO: Linux to dominate MIDs

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the Linux netbook genre received a boost this week when Dell started
| running its first major advertisements about a Linux-based system. According
| to a story from The VAR Guy, Dell started running multi-page newspaper ads
| specifically hawking its first Linux netbook, the Dell Inspiron Mini 9
| (pictured).
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9...17.html?kc=rss

Related:

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

Low-cost laptops make PC makers mull margins

,----[ Quote ]
| “Computers have been an exception. If you look at consumer electronics, a DVD
| player was about $800 10 years ago – now they sell for $20,” she says. “The
| [computer] industry has been able to keep the price flat by focusing on
| gazillion-gigahertz machines running really bloated software and that’s
| worked for years since the IBM PC revolution.”
|
| [...]
|
| OLPC found a strong uptake for a “give one, get one” campaign it launched in
| North America in November. It discovered consumers were willing to pay $400
| for an XO – the price meant another XO would be given free to a
| developing-world child. It is now launching OLPC America to extend the cheap
| laptop concept for children in the US.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cfba14f4-c...0779fd2ac.html

Linux Has Won, Windows is Gone