Active Alpha Linux Distributions? - Linux

This is a discussion on Active Alpha Linux Distributions? - Linux ; leec wrote: > On Oct 19, 7:06 pm, Sylvain Robitaille > wrote: >> leec wrote: >>> I am in search of a current Linux distribution for an Alpha DS20, >>> ES40, and Alphaserver 1000 with an active community. I also ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Active Alpha Linux Distributions?

    leec wrote:
    > On Oct 19, 7:06 pm, Sylvain Robitaille
    > wrote:
    >> leec wrote:
    >>> I am in search of a current Linux distribution for an Alpha DS20,
    >>> ES40, and Alphaserver 1000 with an active community. I also need to
    >>> have a corresponding Linux release to run on a couple of X86 boxes
    >>> (IBM eServer X300s).

    >> This isn't the answer you're looking for, I'm afraid, but I'm bringing it
    >> up in case it's still somehow interesting to you, or more to the point,
    >> it inspires you to look into doing something like this of your own ...
    >>
    >> About 4 years ago I started working on a port of Slackware Linux for Alpha
    >> systems. I'd realized that there were about to be a lot of perfectly good
    >> Alpha systems with sysadmins looking to keep a current OS running on them.
    >> I'd made a fair bit of progress, and had a self-hosting system busily
    >> compiling and testing various packages, but unfortunately, between the
    >> electrical requirements of my AlphaServer-2100, and the amount of noise
    >> produced by its cooling fans, I've had to leave the project stalled for
    >> the past three years or so.
    >>
    >> I have my eye on a DS10 at work, that I'd like to take home and revive
    >> this project with. Unfortunately, my hopes for getting that system
    >> aren't particularly high ... If I can, of course I'll revive this with
    >> whatever version of Slackware is current at the time ...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sylvain Robitaille s...@alcor.concordia.ca
    >>
    >> Network and Systems analyst Concordia University
    >> Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    > Sylvain et al,
    >
    > Thanks for the good replies.
    >
    > Working on a port of Slackware etc for Alpha sounds like a lot of fun,
    > but thats not the end-goal of this project and I just can't get
    > distracted by that. Wish I could say "Yes!", but there are only 24-
    > hours in a day.
    >
    > My conclusions are that 1) Debian is the way to go for Linux on Alpha,
    > and 2) not realistic to expect to have the same distribution on both
    > the Alpha and X86 boxes. That's OK, especially since I'm having
    > problems with Debian recognizing the NICs on the IBM x300 x86 boxes. :-
    > ( I don't have the time to fool with it so its Fedora for the x86
    > servers. Debian on the Alphas.
    >
    > Thanks again to everyone that posted a note. Feel free to contribute
    > any other thoughts...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lee C.

    CentOS has a current Alpha port I believe.

  2. Re: Active Alpha Linux Distributions?

    On 20 Oct, 18:55, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    > Anton Ertl wrote:
    > > You could use the Fedora kernel with a Debian userland, but it's
    > > probably enough if you use the appropriate NIC driver with a Debian
    > > kernel. *Or, alternatively, just put (e.g.) e1000 cards in the x300
    > > boxes and use the e1000 driver.

    > > If you want to save time, it's a good idea to use as few different
    > > distributions as possible.

    > Does anyone know what ever happened to AlphaCore? *Last I heard, it hadbeen
    > accepted into the Fedora project.

    Mike Barnes, the guy behind AlphaCore stopped working on it to the
    point that he didn't even bother renewing the domain alphacore.info.

    Current Alpha/Fedora port stuff is at http://buildsys.zero42.at
    maintained by Oliver Falk and Jay Estabrook.

    Jay said the ISO on the site is out of date, so he's working on
    updating it.

    Oliver Falk hangs out in #alpha on Freenode if you've got questions
    about Fedora/Alpha.

  3. Re: Active Alpha Linux Distributions?

    On 26 Oct, 23:00, DrSlinky wrote:
    > leec wrote:
    > > On Oct 19, 7:06 pm, Sylvain Robitaille
    > > wrote:
    > >> This isn't the answer you're looking for, I'm afraid, but I'm bringingit
    > >> up in case it's still somehow interesting to you, or more to the point,
    > >> it inspires you to look into doing something like this of your own ...

    > >> About 4 years ago I started working on a port of Slackware Linux for Alpha
    > >> systems. *I'd realized that there were about to be a lot of perfectly good
    > >> Alpha systems with sysadmins looking to keep a current OS running on them.
    > >> I'd made a fair bit of progress, and had a self-hosting system busily
    > >> compiling and testing various packages, but unfortunately, between the
    > >> electrical requirements of my AlphaServer-2100, and the amount of noise
    > >> produced by its cooling fans, I've had to leave the project stalled for
    > >> the past three years or so.

    > >> I have my eye on a DS10 at work, that I'd like to take home and revive
    > >> this project with. *Unfortunately, my hopes for getting that system
    > >> aren't particularly high ... *If I can, of course I'll revive this with
    > >> whatever version of Slackware is current at the time ...

    > >> --
    > >> Sylvain Robitaille * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *s...@alcor.concordia.ca

    > >> Network and Systems analyst * * * * * * * * * * * Concordia University
    > >> Instructional & Information Technology * * * *Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    > > Sylvain et al,

    > > Thanks for the good replies.

    > > Working on a port of Slackware etc for Alpha sounds like a lot of fun,
    > > but thats not the end-goal of this project and I just can't get
    > > distracted by that. Wish I could say "Yes!", but there are only 24-
    > > hours in a day.

    > > My conclusions are that 1) Debian is the way to go for Linux on Alpha,
    > > and 2) not realistic to expect to have the same distribution on both
    > > the Alpha and X86 boxes. That's OK, especially since I'm having
    > > problems with Debian recognizing the NICs on the IBM x300 x86 boxes. :-
    > > ( I don't have the time to fool with it so its Fedora for the x86
    > > servers. Debian on the Alphas.

    > > Thanks again to everyone that posted a note. Feel free to contribute
    > > any other thoughts...

    > > Regards,

    > > Lee C.

    > CentOS has a current Alpha port I believe.

    Used too. It's out of date and abandoned.

    Really, as far as Alpha Linux distros go, it's between Gentoo and
    Debian. I happen to choose Gentoo.

    Also, everyone should join and contribute to the AlphaLinux.org Wiki.
    http://alphalinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2